What if: a de Havilland single seat, single piston engine fighter for World War II

BarnOwlLover2

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I'll open this up initially for the forum to chime in with what their ideas on what this could've been like, though I do have to provide my broad idea for it. I do imagine at the basic, fundamental level, it's probably be like half a Hornet (half the size, half the power), and powered by at least a Merlin 60 series engine with room to go up to the Merlin 100 series. I'm also sort of inspired by the original Hornet design brief of two Merlin 60 series engines, and a weight of 15,000 lbs clean combat.

Outside of that, it'll be up to you to give feedback on what you might expect to see.

Actually they did have single engine fighter projects designed via their ownership of Airspeed thereby leaving the parent company free to concentrate of Mosquito and Hornet variants.

Apologies: I read the title as 'single-piston engine', like the noxious little outboard motor our inflatable had as 'Plan_B', and the glow-plug started, thumb-sized midgets on the R/C aircraft I crashed with hapless regularity...

Take a dH Vampire and put the Merlin in the back with a pusher prop to reduce the performance?