de Havilland project between the DH 102 Mosquito II and the DH 103 Hornet?

BarnOwlLover2

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of references to de Havilland working on a single seat, twin engine fighter powered by Merlin 60 series engines after the DH 102 Mosquito II medium bomber was made redundant by the two-stage Merlin equipped Mosquito. From what little I've been able to read about this, this wasn't the exact same thing as the Hornet, though it may've lead to or evolved into it. It does seem like if it evolved into the Hornet, it was like going from the DH 99 Spider Crab/Vampire to the DH 100 Vampire, where the design was similar in concept, but was altered to suit Air Ministry requests/advice, or improvements in airframe and engine.

Anyone know anything more about this, or was this basically just the genesis of the Hornet? What little I've read about it is that, like the Hornet, it was inspired by being a "baby" Mosquito powered by Merlin 60 series engines, and intended to have a normal take off weight of about 15,000 lbs.

I've seen a couple of references to de Havilland working on a single seat, twin engine fighter powered by Merlin 60 series engines after the DH 102 Mosquito II medium bomber was made redundant by the two-stage Merlin equipped Mosquito. From what little I've been able to read about this, this wasn't the exact same thing as the Hornet, though it may've lead to or evolved into it. It does seem like if it evolved into the Hornet, it was like going from the DH 99 Spider Crab/Vampire to the DH 100 Vampire, where the design was similar in concept, but was altered to suit Air Ministry requests/advice, or improvements in airframe and engine.

Anyone know anything more about this, or was this basically just the genesis of the Hornet? What little I've read about it is that, like the Hornet, it was inspired by being a "baby" Mosquito powered by Merlin 60 series engines, and intended to have a normal take off weight of about 15,000 lbs.

What is your source about that ?

The info seems on the surface to point towards what would become the Hornet, but the person who found those records suggests that's not quite the case.

Perhaps the 1942 single seat Mosquito would be a good place to start?

Are there any drawings of a single seat Mosquito ?