WG.13 / Lynx attack helicopter projects

The new tailboom is of composite construction, so that probably favoured using flatter plates rather than complex curves. Plus the modest facteting helps to reduce RCS. The new tailboom is also stronger and I don't think its any coincidence that the overall size/shape resembles that of the Lynx 3 programme - certainly structural strength and aerodynamic aspects at play.

I seem to remember former Westland designer Paul Chapman on Facebook confirming that the faceting was a modest nod towards RCS and derived from some of the early studies that fed into the NH90 programme before the UK left, will see if I can find the quote later...

Zeb

The new tailboom is of composite construction, so that probably favoured using flatter plates rather than complex curves. Plus the modest facteting helps to reduce RCS. The new tailboom is also stronger and I don't think its any coincidence that the overall size/shape resembles that of the Lynx 3 programme - certainly structural strength and aerodynamic aspects at play.
Was it also because the RN abandoned the need for a folding tail? Merlin and MH-60 have large, folding tails, but they also fold over a shorter distance than the original Lynx naval helos did.

Was it also because the RN abandoned the need for a folding tail? Merlin and MH-60 have large, folding tails, but they also fold over a shorter distance than the original Lynx naval helos did.
That probably did make life easier for the Wildcat designers.
Interestingly the Danish Mk.80 and German Mk.88 omitted the folding tail. Makes you wonder how useful it was. I suspect it was only really useful in smaller ships and older ships with Wasp-sized hangars.

336794167_739535134286442_8169521634007154991_n-jpg.696184

p277ai-jpg.3007

Well looky here. 1975 Attack Lynx is very much the same as the Westland / VFW Fokker P.277.

Doubt it. S-92 has a very boxy tail and others are like it. I wonder if it has better aerodynamic effect than a traditional round tailboom.
Traditional round tail booms can sometimes “lift” in the wrong direction sideways. In an extreme cross-wind, a round tail boom can provide almost as much yaw as a NOTAR tail boom.
That is why many older Sea Kings, Hueys, etc. have been retrofitted with stall fences along their tail booms and why stall fences are standard on newer designs.