Vultee aircraft designations

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
This topic is concerned with Vultee aircraft PRIOR to the Consolidated-Vultee merger.

VULTEE designations typically used the V- prefix.

However, this was usually omitted in projects, or sometimes replaced by a prefix reflecting the planned mission, such as:
  • AB- for Attack Bomber (e.g. AB-2, AB-12, AB-69)
  • BC- for Basic Combat (e.g. BC-51, BC-54)
  • P- for pursuit (e.g. P-48)
  • XC- for Experimental Cargo (e.g. XC-1031)
  • XOB- for Experimental Observation-Bomber (e.g. XOB-33)
  • XP- for Experimental Pursuit (e.g. XP-35, XP-46, XP-1015)

Some non-standard VULTEE designations used three- or four-digit numbers.

• The XP-690 project probably had a two-digit V- designation but it's not known.
  • The XP-1015 was the V-35, also found as XP-35.
  • The XC-1031 project probably had a two-digit V- designation, likely Model 41.

VULTEE and STINSON merged in 1941 to become VULTEE-STINSON.
STINSON models were now called VULTEE-STINSON, but often appeared just as STINSON, which was now a Division:
  • STINSON VIGILANT became VULTEE-STINSON V-74 (USAAF L-1), then as V-70 (to avoid confusion with the VALIANT)
  • STINSON Model Model 105 (HW-75) was probably redesignated as VULTEE-STINSON V-75A for record purposes
  • STINSON Model 10 (HW-80) VOYAGER and Army YO-54 were probably redesignated as VULTEE-STINSON V-75B
  • STINSON Model 10A (HW-90) VOYAGER and Army L-9A/-9B was redesignated as Model VULTEE-STINSON V-75C
  • STINSON Model 10B may have received a V-75_ designation for record purposes
  • STINSON SENTINEL (Army L-5 series and Navy OY) was developed under VULTEE-STINSON as the V-76
  • STINSON SR-10J RELIANT was produced in new version as VULTEE V-77 GULLWING and Army AT-19 RELIANT

VULTEE-STINSON merged with CONSOLIDATED in 1944 to form CONsolidated-Vultee AIRcraft
  • End of old CONSOLIDATED and VULTEE numbering systems
  • A new CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE numbering system started at "Model 100".
  • Most VULTEE-STINSON or STINSON projects obtained new CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE designations
  • The TWIN STINSON project was purchased by PIPER (as the PA-21) and led to the PA-23 Apache/Aztec
  • VULTEE Model 90 usually found as a CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE type, but retained VULTEE designation
  • VALIANT versions sometimes found as CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE and CONVAIR types

UPDATED 29 June 2018 - Table removed for modification. New model list will be uploaded soon.

Hi,

old info from Internet;

V-65 & V-66 single seat fighter projects.

Hi,
I search for pics and/or drawings of the Vultee V-85 "Vengeance" dive bomber version and the only V-89 "Vengeance" test bed for the Wright R.3350 engine.

Thanks for your help

This is a big mistake !!!!!
The V.65 you mention here is NOT a Vultee model, but a VOUGHT V-65. The Brazilian side is completely wrong.

This is a big mistake !!!!!
The V.65 you mention here is NOT a Vultee model, but a VOUGHT V-65. The Brazilian side is completely wrong.
Hi Maveric
Profuse apologies and thanks for catching my mistake. I see that this is actually the Vought model number of the well-known O2U Corsair, which I should have realized. This was the only mention I found of a "Vultee V-65" of the 30's and I ran with it. I have deleted my post. Regards, Harry

Last edited:
I had a go at compiling a list of Vultee Aircraft's Model numbers. That Vultee designation list will follow. First, I want to list the evolution of both Jerry Vultee's aviation career and that of the corporate entities which bore his name.

Timeline for Gerard ('Jerry') F. Vultee (1900–1938) and Vultee Companies

1923: Jerry Vultee hired by Douglas Aircraft as a structural aeronautic engineer

1928: Jerry Vultee joins Jack Northrop in moving to the Lockheed Aircraft Company
-- Northrop and Vultee had conceived of what became the Vega while at Douglas

1928: Jack Northrop leaves Lockheed; Jerry Vultee becomes LAC's Chief Engineer
-- While LAC's Chief Engineer, Jerry Vultee designed the Lockheed Sirius

1929: Jerry Vultee becomes Chief Engineer of the Detroit Aircraft Corporation
-- Detroit Aircraft Corporation had just gained a controlling interest in LAC

1930: While at Detroit Aircraft, what becomes the V-1 airliner is conceived
-- * In this work, Vultee was joined by engineer & test pilot Vance Breese

1930: While at Detroit Aircraft, preliminary design of what becomes V-1
-- * In this work, Vultee was joined by engineer & test pilot Vance Breese

1931: Detroit Aircraft Corporation goes into receivership; Vultee replaced
-- * By Richard von Hake, later Stearman chief engineer, then Lockheed

1931: Vultee briefly becomes chief engineer at struggling EMSCO, Downey, CA

1931: Cord Corporation took control of Stinson Aircraft & Lycoming Manufacturing

1931: Airplane Development Corporation formed to promote Vultee V-1 airliner
-- NB: Sometimes confused with Aircraft Development Corporation of Detroit

1931-32: Vance Breese approaches E. L. Cord to help finance ADC and V-1/V-1A

1932: 18 Jan.; Vultee hires first employee, Assistant Chief Engineer Richard Palmer

1932: 26 Jan.; ADC taken over and re-financed by the Cord Manufacturing Co.
-- Rebranded as the Aircraft Development Division of Cord Manufacturing Co.
-- Established in rented offices at Grand Central Air Terminal, Glendale, CA

1932: 15 Nov., reorganization of the Airplane Development Corporation
-- Management decided to terminate the employment of Vance Breese [1]

1933 - 19 Feb.; first flight of the Vultee V-1 prototype by Marshall Headle

1934: 30 Nov.; Aviation Manufacturing Corporation (AMC) established by AVCO*
-- * AVCO - The Aviation Corporation - was a holding company

1936: 01 Jan.; AMC was liquidated and replaced by the Vultee Aircraft Division
-- Jerry Vultee VP and chief engineer; acquired the assets of the defunct AMC*
-- * These assets included Lycoming Engines and the Stinson Aircraft Company

1936: April; Vultee moves to take over the EMSCO airfield & plant, Downey, CA
-- Downey plant wartime USAAC/USAAF manufacturer code/desig. suffix = VU

Nov 1937: Owner E.L. Cord sold his interests to a syndicate, result Vultee
-- Re-org'd as Vultee Aircraft Division of the Aviation Manufacturing Corporation

1938: 29 Jan.; Jerry & Sylvia Vultee killed in Stinson SR-9C crash, Sedona, AZ
-- Former VP Richard Palmer became Chief Engineer and President of Vultee

1939: 14 November; Vultee Aircraft, Incorporated was established
-- The assets of Aviation Manufacturing Company were acquired
-- Vultee becomes a subsidiary of parent firm, the Aviation Company

1939-40: Vultee acquires assets of Aviation Manufacturing Company
-- Stinson Aircraft of Wayne, MI, became a Vultee Aircraft Division
-- Wayne plant wartime USAAF manufacturer code/desig. suffix = VW

1940: Barkley-Grow Aircraft Corporation became a division of Vultee

1940: Vultee Aircraft, Inc.'s new Nashville Division was established

1941: 04 May; Nashville Division plant dedicated; USAAC code = VN
-- Nashville built O-49 Vigilant, Vengeance, then Lockheed P-38s

1941: Nov.; Vultee gained majority ownership of Consolidated Aircraft Corporation

1942: Barkley-Grow plant, 13210 French Rd, seized by City of Detroit [2]
-- Unclear on the nature of dispute or of Vultee's planned use of that plant

1942-48: Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation (Convair)

1953-96: Acquired by General Dynamics; become's GD's Convair Division

[1] This probably resulted from Breese being distracted by other opportunities - including running a small airline, Air Express Corporation. Jerry Vultee was joined by Richard Palmer to complete the V-1 prototype.

Note that all had been forgiven by Sept 1939 when Vance Breese test-flew the prototype Vultee Model 48 light fighter. When an undercarriage leg was lost while landing, Breese was able to set down the Model 48 with little additional damage. Ironically, that undercarriage leg was lost in a collision with a taxiing Sirius - a type designed by Jerry Vultee when he was chief engineer at Lockheed.

[2] Contemporary newspaper accounts describe the French Road facility as a "Training Plant". By August 1943, the City of Detroit had turned the former Barkley-Grow factory into a new technical high school for training aircraft mechanics.

BTW: This plant had another, distant Vultee connection in that it was the former home of the Michigan Aircraft Co. which had built Vance Breese's 1933 Breese-Dallas X monoplane.

Vultee Aircraft Designations

Here, prior to listing Vultee Aircraft's Model numbers, I want to address some details, assumptions, and questions relating to Vultee's designation approach.

In my list (next post), I have arranged Vultee Model numbers numerically for ease of search (and compilation) but Vultee was apparently much less concerned with such orderliness.

There is an overlap between Vultee Model numbers and those of Vultee's subsidiary, Stinson. Unfortunately, the tendency for list-makers is to try to push those Stinson numbers into the Vultee system. To address this, I will be listing - as 'Vultee-Stinson' - any Model numbers which overlap. An example using unbuilt projects is the Vultee Model 78 Shrike export fighter (related to the built Model 84/XP-54) and the proposed Vultee-Stinson Model 78 navigational trainer intended for the US Navy. I hope that this approach does not just add to the confusion.

Vultee Designation Prefixes

Beginning with the original V1, many Vultee model numbers were given 'V' prefixes. As a result, the assumption is often made that Vultee Model numbers and 'V' prefix 'short forms' are simply interchangeable. But that is not necessarily true. Often, only Model numbers are referenced. Later list-makers have then attempted to retroactively rationalize the system by imposing 'V' prefixes on every number. To avoid that, I have stuck to listing types by Model numbers with a note on 'V' numbers appended. Take the latter inclusions with a grain of salt - at this stage, it is all but impossible to weed out after-the-fact 'V' prefix additions!

There is at least one example of a 'V' prefix being applied after-the-fact by Vultee itself - or, at least, by the marketing department. This was the application of 'V-77' to refurbished war-surplus Stinson SR-10 Reliants for the postwar civilian market. Here, Vultee may have been applying an un-used Model number for marketing purposes. On the other hand, we cannot discount the possibility of an unrelated wartime 'Model 77' design which has escaped our notice.

I have also noted - within individual entries - Vultee's on-again, off-again use of specific role prefixes. Where these overlap with USAAC/USAAF designation style - like 'XP' and 'BC' - there is plenty of scope for potential confusion within sources. Stéphane has listed and defined those prefixes in the original post. Here, I would only note Lark's correction on the 'XC' prefix which stood for 'Experimental Commercial'.

Vultee Style Presentation and Suffixes

As with the Model/'V' number muddle, there are also after-the-fact attempts to rationalize the actual style of Vultee designations. I too was tempted to impose a single style. Alas, the first prototype and production type make that impossible.

As near as I can tell, V1 and V1-A were the correct forms for these first Vultee products. That '-A' suffix indicated a heavily-modified production variant. Other suffixes follow - eg: V1-AD (for Deluxe 'A model) and V1-AS (for Special 'A model). But, for example, there was never a 'V-1A' (how ever much more rational that presentation may appear).

Thereafter, an additional hyphen made its way into Vultee designations - eg: V-11-A. Today, it is very common to see such Model numbers collapsed down to 'V-11A' and the like. And that style does fit with Vultee's later form for internal designations. However, it seems not to have been the contemporary style of presentation. That V-11-A was part of a raft of suffixes. These were (in alphabetical order):

---- A = V-11-A; the revised, second V-11 prototype
---- G = V-11-G; indicating Wright SGR-1820-G2 engine
--- GB = V-11-GB; indicating as revised, 2nd type V-11-G
-- GB2 = V-11-GB2; a further V-11-GB revision (for Brazil)
- GB2F = V-11-GB2F; 'F' for Float; experimental floatplane
-- GBT = V-11-GBT; 'T' for Turkey/Turkish; V-11-GB variant
-- SBS = V-11-SBS; 'SBS' for Scout Bomber Seaplane
--- ST = V-11-ST; meaning unclear, poss. 'Scout Torpedo'?
---- T = V-11-T; 'T' for Testbed; mod. V-11A engine testbed
--- TS = V-11-TS: 'TS' for Torpedo Seaplane; same as 'ST' (?)

Suffixes become somewhat confused with the next development - the V-12. The known models are the V-12-C and V-12-D which seem to suggest successive model types. Alas, there is no sign of any 'A' or 'B' suffixes. More probably, those suffixes indicated engine types. Under that supposition, the V-12-C would have been 'C' for Cyclone while the V-12-D would be 'D' for Double Cyclone.

To further confuse matters, Vultee's marketing department adopted the alternative designation AB-2 ('AB' for Attack Bomber) to promote the V-12 series aircraft (or possibly just the V-12-C?).

Later on, Vultee aircraft are given sequential sub-type letter suffixes. But, even then, there are some oddities. Eg: the second model of Valiant was the Model 54A as expected but an alternative designation was apparently VF-54A - with the 'F' prefix standing for Fixed main undercarriage type.

Vultee Designation Numerical Sequence

Quite logically, the first Vultee type is numbered '1', as in the V1 and V1-A. However, the second type is the V-11 series - with no sign of Model numbers being applied between 2 and 10.
The third type is the V-12. And note that all three designs are closely related.

The next Model numbers seem to be for the unrealized Model 20 and Model 32 of which we know virtually nothing. That seems to suggest that Vultee was applying its Model numbers in related groups by tens. The problem with that supposition is that the '30s' don't fit. The Model 33 (XOB-33) may well have been related to the equally mysterious Model 39 observation-bomber on floats. But there's no possibility that such plodders would be directly related designs to the ultra-sleek Model 35 export fighter.

After that, the application of Model numbers does seem to be somewhat random and often not ever sequentially applied. What is generally agreed is that the Vultee Model numbers run from 1 through to 90 where they conclude. After that, a new Convair sequence began (based on one of the many Consolidated series).

Vultee Designation Anomalies

Relating to the Vultee sequence ending at '90', hesham has noted that the earliest incarnation of what becomes the XA-44/XB-53 project began with Vultee's design department. This raises a question: Were these early draughts of the XA-44 ever assigned a distinct Vultee Model number? Here, hesham asserts that what becomes the Convair Model 112 was originally given a Vultee Model number somewhere in the 90s.

Another set of Vultee designation anomalies may fall entirely outside of that 1-to-90 sequence. These are a handful of 3- and 4-digit designations - known examples being XP-690, XP-1015, and XC-1031. There may also be an XP-236. For such anomalous designations, there are no known Model numbers within the Vultee 1-to-90 range.

At least two of those anomalous designations are related to the Model 35/XP-35 export fighter. These are the XP-1015 (sometimes seen as XP1015) and XP-236 (XP236). The latter was a Model 35 'configuration variation' - although intended for whom is not clear. The XP-1015 was aimed at the USAAC, being an enlarged, US-engined slightly XP-35 evolution. Accordingly, I have included mention of both XP-1015 and later XP-690 within the listing for the Model 35.

The XP-690 was to have been a twin-boomed pursuit design but, in the absence of a known Model number, I have made no mention of it within the list. I have mentioned the XC-1031 (XC1031) because of the suggestion that it might be one and the same with the otherwise barely-known Vultee Model 41. However, note that that Model 41 to XC-1031 association is based solely on them both being 'cabin types'. This association may well be accurate. But it is just as likely that one of the 'missing' Model numbers was connected with the XC-1031 ... or that the XC-1031 fell outside of the Model number list altogether.

I have also noted hesham's speculation that the Model 43 light fighter may have began as a hypothetical 'XP-1043'. This is pure supposition, of course, but not impossible. If we follow the logic of that approach, we might connect the 'missing' number '31' with the XC-1031. But, then, we must explain why the '15' suggested for XP-1015 numerically prefigures the Model 35? And what contractions are we to make of the XP-236 or XP-690?

Since we are in the realm of supposition, we should also consider the possibility that these 3- and 4-number 'designations' are not designations at all. Since XP-236 was a 'configuration variation', we might assume that all such anomalies represent 'configuration variations'. Other possibilities are that the anomalies represent immature incarnations which may (or did) receive 2-numeral Model numbers later. Or might the anomalies simply represent some numbering system for concept drawings? We simply don't know and require more hard, primary-source evidence.

My Vultee designation list will follow in the next post.

Here is my actual listing of Vultee Aircraft's Model numbers. Little new will be added here ... but at least it will be sequential.

Vultee Aircraft Designations

Vultee Model 1 - 1933 single-engined airliner, x 25
- Model 1: 1-2 crew + 6 pax airliner prototype, x 1
-- aka Vultee V1 (orig. style) often given as 'V-1'
- V1 : 650 hp Wright SR-1820-F2; span 14.63 m
- V1-A: Production V1; 2 x crew + 8 x pax ; x 18
- V1-A: 735 hp Wright R-1820-F2; span 15.24 m
-- V1 as redesigned for American Airlines, x ~13
- V1-AD: 'D' for 'Deluxe'; executive transport; x 6
- V1-AD: 1 x 850 hp Wright R-1820-G2 Cyclone
- V1-AD Special: Exec. for Randolph Hearst, x 1
- V1-AD Special: 1 x 1,000 hp Wright R-1820-G2
- V1-AS: 'Special'; floatplane vers. to USSR, x 1
- V1-AS: 'Special'; 1 x 775 hp Wright R-1820-F52

2-10 - (??) probably not applied

Vultee AB-2 - Marketing designation for the V-12C
- AB-2: Registered V-12C, c/n 131, X18985/NX18985

Vultee Model 11 - 1935 attack Model 1 deriv.; x 175+
- Model 11: 3-seat, single-engined attack bombers
-- aka Vultee V-11 (note change in desig. style)
- V-11 : 750 hp Wright SGR-1820, span 15.24 m
-- Prototype (X14999) c/n 28; crashed & written off
- V-11-A: 2nd prototype; NX/NR/NC14980; c/n 29
-- V-11-A mod. as V-11T engine testbed for P&W
- V-11-G : 1 x 850 hp Wright R-1820-G2* engine
-- * or 1,000 hp Wright SGR-1820-G2 (tests?)
- V-11-G : 1935 2-seater; hack x 1; China x 30
- V-11-GB : 1 x 1,200 hp Wright SGR-1820-G2
- V-11-GB : USSR x 4;** Turkey x 40; Brazil x 26
-- ** + 31 x license-built BSh-1s conv. to PS-43
- V-11-GB2 : V-11-GB type variant for Brazil; x 26
- V-11-GB2F: Twin-float vers. for Brazil, not accepted
- V-11-GBT : Turkish V-11-GB variant designation
- V-11-GB : USAAC/USAAF designations in A-19 range
-- XA-19 : USAAC designation for prototype V-11-GB
-- YA-19 : USAAC desig. for 7 x V-11-GB attack a/c
-- XA-19A: 1940; 1 x 1,200hp Lycoming O-1230-1
-- Converted YA-19 testbed; enlarged, triangular fin
-- XA-19B: 1939; 1 x 1,800hp P&W R-2800-1 radial
-- Converted YA-19 airframe; USAAC serial 38-550
--- A-19 : 5 x surviving YA-19 a/c redesignated A-19
-- XA-19C: 1939; 1 x 1,200hp P&W R-1830-1/'-51
-- Converted XA-19A airframe; USAAC serial 38-555
- V-11-SBS: (Scout Bomber Seaplane) Float version
-- V-11-SBS had standard (not enlarged) tailplane
- V-11-ST : Twin-pontoon floatplane; enlarged tailfin
- V-11-T : Mod. V-11A (c/n 27, NR14980) testbed
- V-11-T : Cockpits moved aft; tall, fixed u/c legs
-- V-11-T fitted with various P&W R-2800 models
- V-11-TS: (Torpedo Seaplane) as per V-11-ST (??)

Vultee Model 12 - 1938 better streamlined evol. of V-11
- V-12 : Prototype (c/n 131, NX18985); flew Sept. 1938
- V-12 : Engine testbed at Pratt & Whitney; aka AB-2
- V-12-A: (??) hypothetical designation
- V-12-B: (??) hypothetical designation
- V-12-C: Prod'n version V-12 for Republic of China; x 26*
- V-12-C: 1 x 1,100 hp Wright R-1820-G105B Cyclone
-- * Claimed Vultee x 1 + 25 x Chinese-assembled (??)
-- * Unlikely that CAMCO Loi-wing delivery any V-12-Cs
- V-12-D: More powerful derivative, deepened fuselage
- V-12-D: 1,600 hp Wright GR-2600 Cyclone 14; x 54
-- Some say no V-12-D were delivered; photos bely that
-- V-12-D parts to HAL Bangalore; poss. 3 x completed**
-- ** But no sign of any RAF India serials being assigned

Vultee Model 20 - (??) no details

Vultee-Stinson V-20 - S-101 with Lycoming O-435A HO6

21-31 - (??)

Vultee Model 32 - (??) no details

Vultee Model 33 - (Project) Observation-bomber floatplane
- Model 33: aka XOB-33; no other details
- Model 33: Possibly related to the Model 39 (qv) (??)

34 - (??)

Vultee Model 35 - (Project) 1937 XP-35 twin-engined fighter
- Model 35: Single-seat, slim-fuselaged interceptor design
- Model 35: Export interceptor/fighter with non-US engines
- Model 35: 2 x 860 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Y-21; span 14.63 m
-- XP-1015: Related, enlarged, US-engined design for USAAC
-- XP-1015 to February 1937 USAAC Circular Proposal X-608
-- XP-1015: 2 x 1,150 hp Allison V-1710-C7;* span 16.46 m
-- * As quoted; 'handed' props suggest 1 x '-C7 + 1 x '-C9
-- (??) Unclear whether XP1031 had its own Model number
-- XP-236 : August 1937** Model 35 configuration variation
-- ** Note: The USAAC's CP X-608 was closed by this date
-- (??) Unclear whethe XP-236 had its own Model number
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...er-twin-engined-vultee-fighter-projects.4181/

36 - (??)

Vultee Model 37 - (??) no details

Vultee Model 38 - (Project) 1937 attack bomber
- Model 38: No other details

Vultee Model 39 - (Project) Observation-bomber
- Model 39: Poss. landplane Model 33 variant (??)

Vultee Model 40 - (Project) V.40 fighter; no details

Vultee Model 41 - (Project) Possibly XC-1031/XC1031
- Model 41: Speculatively associated with XC-1031
-- If so, low-winged side-by-side retr. u/c light a/c
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/question-about-vultee-xc1031.12203/#post-119614

Vultee Model 42 - (Project) single-seat fighter study
- Model 42: aka V-42; early study resulting in V-48

Vultee Model 43 - (Project) lightweight fighter concepts
- Model 43 : aka VP-43; apparently in various config's*
-- VP 43-1 : (??) hypothetical designation
-- VP 43-2 : (??) hypothetical designation
-- VP 43-3 : 1943 stratospheric lightweight fighter
-- VP-43-3 : To 1943 USAAF design directive
-- * Early VP-43 may be contemp. w/ XP-48 & XP-77
-- NB: hesham speculated perhaps began as 'XP-1043'

Vultee Model 43 (II_ - (Project) Radio-controlled target drone

Vultee Model 44 - (Project) single-seat fighter study
- Model 44: aka V-44; early study resulting in V-48

Vultee Model 45 - (Project) single-seat fighter study
- Model 45: aka V-45; early study resulting in V-48

Vultee Model 46 - (Project) 2-engined pursuit, to CP X-608
- Model 46: Rival to XP-1015 & Lockheed Model 22/XP-38
-- NB: The Model 46 preceded the XP-236 of August 1937
- Model 46: aka Vultee XP-46 (an internal designation)
- XP-46-1: (??) hypothetical designation
- XP-46-2: Twin V-1710 in fuselage, shaft-drives to props
-- XP-46-2: Mid/blended wing, V-tail, tricycle gear
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/vultee-projects.1372/#post-216674

Vultee Model 46 (II) - (Project) single-seat fighter study
- Model 46: aka V-46; early study resulting in V-48

Vultee Model 47 - (Project) Attack bomber
- Model 47: no other details

Vultee Model 48 - Single-seat light fighter; aka P-48
- Model 48 : 1st prototype (NX21755); flew Sept 1939
- Model 48 : 1,200 hp P&W R-1830-S4C4-G; span 10.92 m
- Model 48 : (As flown) Long prop shaft; low-drag cowl
- Model 48 : (As mod) Cowl intake fixed; larger rudder
- Model 48 : (As mod) Conv'l cowl repl'd low-drag type
- Model 48X: 2nd prototype (NX19999); flew Feb 1940
-- Note: Model 48X originally designated as Model 61
- Model 48X: (As flown) Conv. cowl; compound dihedral
- Model 48X: (As mod) All 3 x tail surfaces enlarged
- Model 48C: Sept. 1940 prod'n prototype (NX28300) [1]
- Model 48C: 1 x 1,050 hp P&W R-1830-S3C4-G 14-cyl.
-- Model 48C to Flygvapnet order; SE then embargoed
-- Redirected to RAF as Vanguard Mk.I fighter-trainers*
-- * Released by UK for Lend-Lease to RoChina; x 127
-- * Of 144 P-48C built, remainder to USAAF as P-66s
-- P-66 : 1 x 1,200 hp P&W R-1830-33; span 10.92 m

Vultee Model 49 - (Project) Pursuit; aka V-49 (P-49?)
- Model 49: Wright-powered; no other details
- Model 49: Possibly based on V-48 Vanguard

Vultee Model 50 - (Project) V-50 USN Scout-Bomber
- Model 50: Naval dive bomber; no other details
- Model 50: Also the basis for an advanced trainer?

Vultee Model 51 - 1939 USAAC Basic Combat trainer, x 1
- Model 51: aka BC-51, unsuccessful comp. w/ NAA BC-2
- Model 51: All-metal const.; hydraulic flaps & main u/c
- Model 51: 1 x 600 hp Pratt & Whitney R-1340-S3H1-G
-- USAAC bought BC-51 prototype as sole Vultee BC-3
-- Palmer evolved V-51 into fixed u/c V-54 or VF-54 (qv)

Vultee Model 52 - (Project) V-52 observation design
- Model 50: Based on V-11-GB/YA-19; no other details

52-53 - (??)

Vultee Model 54 - Advanced & basic trainer types
- Model 54 : Advanced trainer design; aka V-54
- Model 54A: aka VF-54A; fixed & faired main u/c
- Model 54B: (??) hypothetical designation
- Model 54C: (??) hypothetical designation
- Model 54D: USAAC/AAF BT-13 Valiant; USN SNV
-- BT-13 : 450 hp P&W R-985-T3B Wasp Jr.; x 300
-- BT-13A: 450 hp P&W R-985-AN-1 9-cyl.; x 7,037
-- BT-13A differed in military engine; no u/c fairings
-- BT-13B: As BT-13A except 24v (not 12v); x 1,125
-- NB: BT-13B may have been original Model 79C
-- BT-15 : 1 x 450 hp Wright R-975-11 9-cyl.; x 1,263
-- BT-15 : May have internal desig. Model 74A (qv)
-- XBT-16: 1942 BT-13A w/ Vidal moulded fuselage
-- SNV-1 : US Navy version of the BT-13A; x 1,150
-- SNV-2 : US Navy version of the BT-13A; x 650
- NB: SNV-2 may have been the orig. Model 79A

Vultee Model 55 - (Project) 1939 USN Scout-Bomber
- Model 55: Naval dive bomber; no other details

Vultee Model 56 - (Project) 1936 fighter/light-bomber
- Model 56: Single- or 2-seat configurations

Vultee Model 57 - (Project) Vengeance torpedo bomber
-- TBV-1 Georgia: (Project) A-31 for USN; later A-35B
-- TBV-1 Georgia: (Project) A-31 for USN; later A-35B
-- To 1939 USN VTB contest; 3-crew carrier torpedo bomber
-- Intended TBD Devastator replacement; cancelled [3]

Vultee Model 58 - (Project) Intercontinental transport
- Model 58: Multi-engined a/c (possibly 7 x engines)
- Model 58: No other details (??)

Vultee Model 59 - (Project) no details (??)

60 - (??)

Vultee Model 61 - 1939 light fighter; re-desig. P-48X
- Model 61: Interim desig. for 2nd prototype Model 48
-- Flew Feb 1940 as prototype Model 48X (NX19999)
- Model 61: Poss. originally Model 48 alt. layout [2]

Vultee Model 62 - (Project) USAAC 2-seat basic trainer
- Model 62: Developed from the BC-51 prototype (BC-3)

Vultee Model 63 - Production USAAC BT-13 Valiant
- Model 63: Original number; relates to V-54D?

64-68 - (??)

Vultee Model 69 - (Project) Single-engined dive bomber
- Model 69 : Variant of the Model 72/A-31; aka AB-69
- Model 69 : no other details (??)

Vultee Model 70 - (Project) Single-seat single-engine pursuit
- Model 70 : To the Nov 1939 USAAC Specification XC-622
- Model 70 : Twin-boom pusher; inverted gull; tricycle u/c
- Model 70-1: 1 x (??) hp Allison (??) engine; span 40 feet
- Model 70-2: 1 x 1,800 hp Pratt & Whitney X-1800 H-24

Vultee-Stinson V-70 - Rebranding of Vultee-Stinson V-74
- Stinson V-70 : To avoid confusion with the V-74 Valiant

Vultee Model 71 - (Project) no details (??)

Vultee Model 72 - Vengeance dive bomber, aka V-72
- Model 72: (Project) 1940 design for Armée de l'Air
- Model 72: (Project) 1,600 hp Wright GR-2600-A5B-5
-- Initially, a twin-tailed design; span (??) m
-- https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/early-vultee-v-72-Vengeance-drawing.19490/
- Model 72: 300 ordered by France, 200 taken by RAF
-- Vengeance I : Lend-Lease Northrop A-31-NO; x 200
-- Vengeance I : 1 x 1,600 hp Wright GR-2600-A5B-5
-- Vengeance IA: Lend-Lease Northrop A-31A-NO; x 200
-- Vengeance IA: 1 x 1,600 hp Wright R-2600-19
-- Vengeance II : Lend-Lease Vultee A-31-VN; x 501
-- Vengeance II : Vultee Nashville equiv. to the Mk.I
-- Vengeance III: Lend-Lease Vultee A-31A-VN; x 200
-- Vengeance III: Vultee Nashville equiv. to the Mk.IA
-- Vengeance IV: See Vultee Model 88 (below)
-- A-31 : USAAF Lend-Lease desig.; see Vengeance I
-- XA-31A: June 1942 prototype USAAF Vengeance
-- A-31A: Lend-Lease desig.; see Vengeance II & III
-- XA-31B: XA-31A as 3,000 hp P&W XR-4360-1 testbed
-- YA-31C: Wright R-3350-37 testbed (some say R-3350-17)
-- For USAAF A-35 variants, see Vultee Model 88 (below)

Model 73 - Further batch of A-31 for USAAF*
- Model 73: Might this be Northrop's A-31-NOs?
-- * Obviously meaning desig. for Lend-Lease

Vultee Model 74 - Possible Model 54D variant designations
- Model 74 : Quoted as sequence for Valiant derivatives
- Model 74 : Poss. BT-13 Valiant trainer; aka V-74
- Model 74A: Poss. BT-15 Valiant trainer; aka V-74A

Vultee-Stinson Model 74 - 1940 O-49/L-1 Vigilant liaison a/c
- Stinson Model 74: 3-seat, high-winged braced monoplane
-- YO-49: USAAC desig. for prototype Stinson Model 74
-- O-49/L-1 : 1st prod. variant; x 142; RAF Vigilant Mk I
-- O-49/L-1 : 1 x 295 hp Lycoming R-680-9; span 15.52 m
-- O-49A/L-1A: 2nd prod. variant; x 182; RAF Vigilant Mk II
-- O-49B/L-1B: Ambulance variant; O-49 conv'n; x 3-4
-- L-1C : Ambulance variant; O-49A/L-1A conv'n; x 113
-- L-1D : Glider tug trainer variant; L-1A conv'n; 14-21
-- L-1E : Ambulance floatplane variant; L-1 conv'n; x 7
-- L-1E : Ambulance floatplane variant; L-1A conv.; x 5
-- CQ-2 : USN target control aircraft; L-1A conv.; x 1 (?)

75 - (??) Presumably there was a Vultee Model 75 (??)

Vultee-Stinson Model 75 - 1940 Sentinel prototype
- Stinson Model 75 : Military deriv. of Stinson HW-75*
-- * Side-by-side seats; Model 75 was tandem seated
- Model 75 : Prototype leads to Model 76 = O-62/L-1
- Model 75 : 1 x 100 hp Lycoming; span 10.36 m; x 1
- Model 75A: (??) Poss. redesig. of Model 105/HW-75
-- If true, Stéphane speculates for record-keeping only
- Model 75B: 1940 tandem-seat Model 105/HW-75 deriv.
- Model 75C: Prototype re-engined w/ 125 hp Lycoming

76 - (??) Presumably there was a Vultee Model 76 (??)

Vultee Model 76 - 1940 prod'n vers. Stinson L-5 Sentinel
- Model 76 : 2nd prototype; initially with full-span slots
- Model 76 : (Modified) half-span slots & enlarged tail
- Model 76 : Modified to full L-5 standard; NX27772; x 1

Vultee-Stinson Model 76 - 1941 production Sentinel
- Stinson Model 76 : Final prod'n version of Model 75C
- Stinson Model 76 : 185 hp Lycoming O-435; span 10.36 m
- Stinson Model 76 : 2nd prototype; init. w/ full-span slots
- Stinson Model 76 : (Mod.) Half-span slots; enlarged tail
- Stinson Model 76 : (Mod.) Full L-5 std.; NX27772; x 1
-- O-62 : Observation desig.; replaced by L-5 by delivery
-- L-5A : (Project) 1943 proposal for 24v electrical system
-- L-5B : Liaison a/c with mods for air ambulance or cargo
-- L-5C : As L-5B but w/ revisions to accept K-20 camera
-- L-5D : (Project) Variant with Ranger L-440 engine; 24v
-- L-5E : Improved low-speed control w/ drooping ailerons
-- L-5E : 185 hp Lycoming O-435-1; 12v electrical system
-- L-5E-1: Impr. STOL w/ large tires & heavy-duty brakes
-- XL-5F: 1945 L-5B conv. to L-5G standard 24v and radio
-- Used for 1948 'quiet airplane' testing at NACA Langley
-- Lycoming GO-435 HO6 driving 5-bladed prop + muffler
-- L-5G : 190 hp Lycoming O-435-11; 24v electrical syst.
-- OY-1 : USN & Marines vers. with 12v electrical system
-- OY-2 : USN & Marines vers. with 24v electrical system
-- 1948, 7 x OY-1 transf. to USCG; 1952, 1 x OY-2 to CG

77 - (??) Was there a Vultee Model 77 (as opposed to V-77)

Vultee V-77 - Gullwing; postwar SR-10 marketing desig.
- V-77 : Refurbished Stinson Reliant military utilities*
-- NB: Stinson itself seems only to use SR-10 desig.
-- * No sign of postwar production of new-build V-77s
-- Q : Was there an earlier 'Model 77' designation?

Vultee Model 78 - Shrike; evolved into 'Swoose Goose'
- Model 78: Single-seat, pusher-propeller fighter for export
- Model 78: 1 x (??) hp Allison V-1710(-??) V12; span (??) m
- Model 78: Export market fighter; evolved into the Model 84
- Model 78: Magnesium-alloy fuselage constr.; tricycle u/c
-- At least 2 x distinct variants (poss. with sub-type suffixes)

Vultee-Stinson Model 78 - (Project) USN navigation trainer
- Stinson Model 78: Likely a proposed R3Q Reliant variant

Vultee Model 79 - (Project) Single-engined, single-seat fighter
- Model 79 : 1 x Lycoming XH-2470 'Hyper' V12; various spans
- Model 79 : Pusher propeller with dorsal and ventral intakes
- Model 79 : Triple-boomed w/ lower boom from ventral fairing
- Model 79A: Mildly inverted-gull wing; triple tail; span 13.08 m
- Model 79B: (??) hypothetical designation
- Model 79C: Greater inverted-gull; triple tail; span 14.02 m
-- Model 79C to USN Spec. SD 112 (leading to Grumman F7F)

Vultee Model 79 (II) - (??) Possible Model of BT-13B/SNV-2
- Model 79A : Possible internal designation for USN SNV-2
- Model 79B : (??) hypothetical designation
- Model 79C : Possible internal desig'n for USAAF BT-13B
-- If true, Model 79 had come from pusher fighter (qv) [4]

Model 80 - (??) Cargo/transport aircraft; no other details

Model 81 - Model 82 - (??)

Vultee Model 83 - (Project) Derivative of Model 48 fighter
- Model 83: Supercharged variant of P-48/USAAF P-66
- Model 83: aka V-83; single-seater; no other details

Vultee Model 84 - 1943 single-seat fighter to USAAC R-40C
- Model 84 : Single-pusher; twin-booms; ducted wings; x 2
-- Scaled-up Model 78 Shrike development; aka MX-12*
-- * USAAF AMC's MX (Materiel, Experimental) designator
-- A scaled-up development of the Model V-78 Shrike
- Model 84 : 2,300 hp Lycoming XH-2470-1; span 16.41 m
- Model 84 : Ordered by USAAF as XP-54 'Swoose Goose'
- Model 84A-84D: (??) hypothetical designations [5]
- Model 84E: (Project) Re-engined XP-68 development
- Model 84E: 1 x 2,500 hp Wright R-2160; span 16.41 m
- Model 84E: Tornado after engine; 6-blade contra-props

Vultee Model 85 - Claimed as 1941 prototype Model 72
- Model 85: Vengeance prototype for Armée de l'Air
- Model 85: Is there evidence for this prototype claim?
-- If true was it for aborted twin-tailled 2nd prototype?
-- NB: Online confusion with V-85 and restricted RA-31s

Vultee Model 86 - (Project) 1942 single-seat V-72 variant
- Model 86: (??) no details; weight-reduction exercise?

87 - (??)

Vultee Model 88 - USAAF variants of export Model 72
- Model 88: Vengeance repossessed/built for USAAF
-- XA-31A: June 1942 prototype USAAF Vengeance
A-31: Initial production variant; later renamed A-35.
-- A-31A-VN: Vultee-built; Lend-Lease a/c; x 200
-- A-31A-NO: Northrop-built; 1,600 hp R-2600-19; x 200
-- XA-31B: XA-31A as 3,000 hp P&W XR-4360-1 testbed
-- YA-31C: Wright R-3350-37 testbed (some say R-3350-17)
-- A-35A: USAAF/LL; 1,700 hp R-2600-8 or -13 or -8; x 99
-- A-35B: USAAF/LL (RAF & RAAF); 6 x .50-cal mgs; x 831
-- TBV-1 Georgia: (Project) USN A-35B; see Model 57
-- NB: TBV began as A-31 for 1939 USN VTB competition*
-- * 3-crew carrier torpedo-bomber; Douglas TBD replacement

Vultee Model 89 - Another unverified designation for XA-31
- Model 89: Improbable 'V-89' for Lend-Lease prototype [6]

Vultee Model 90 - 1944 Consolidated-Vultee XA-41 prototype, x 1*
- Model 90: Orig. dive bomber, then attack, finally testbed
- Model 90: 1 x 3,000 hp P&W R-4360-9 28-cyl., span 16.46 m
-- * 43-35124 (43-35125 and ground test airframe cancelled)
-- aka MX-312; USAAF AMC 'Materiel, Experimental' designator
-- Model 90/XA-41 became P&W R-4360 Wasp Major testbed
- (??): (Project) Late 1944 Model 90 torpedo bomber variant**
-- ** Illustrated in US Navy markings; a serious proposal (??)

Vultee Model 9? - (??) Possible desig. for early XA-44 concept*
- Model 9?: Highly speculative; Vultee may never have desig'd
-- * Later revised as unbuilt Convair Model 102 (USAF XB-53)

[1] The Model 48C designation might be explained by the first prototype Model 48 and second prototype Model 48X acting to fill-in the 'A' and 'B' designation slots.

[2] This is pure speculation but, it is conceivable that, the application of this second model number to the P-48 series was based in the hope that a long-cowl Model 48 might be offered alongside a conventionally-cowled Model 61. If true, then the abject failure of the long, variable-intake cowling concept put paid to that possibility. With only conventional cowlings in the running, what was to be the Model 61 would then be re-designated as the Model 48X - a second prototype towards developing a single production type Vanguard.

[3] The nose-up flying attitude of the Vengeance resulted in poor pilot visibility. In truth, that characteristic alone means that the proposed TBV-1 Georgia would have produced a terrible shipboard torpedo bomber.

[4] Or vice-versa - the chronology is not at all clears. Here, Vultee may have been distinguishing between its Model 79 pusher fighter and a V-77 nomenclature for the Valiant variants.

[5] Stéphane has speculated that the 'missing' V-84A to V-84D model numbers might be accounted for by Vultee having redesignated the earlier pusher fighters - Models 70, 78, 79, and their derivatives - into the Model 84 sequence. This is acknowledged as purely speculative but could handily explain those 'missing' sub-type letters.

[6] No explanation is given for why the XA-31 - a straightforward USAAF Lend-Lease version of a previous export type - needed a distinct Vultee Model number (as opposed to, say, a sub-type letter added to the existing Model 72 series). Odd too that, if there was a 'V-89' applied to a Lend-Lease Vengeance prototype; why isn't there a 'V-89A' for the June 1942 XA-31A?

Last edited:
Amazing and brilliant work as usual my dear Apophenia,

because I will go to sleep,I can add a small things now,

V-2 was the same as AB-2
V-20 was Stinson S-101,with Lycoming O-435A engine
V-42,V-44,V-45 & V-46 were early studied for V-48
V-43 was not related to VP-43-3,it was radio-controlled target project
V-47 was attack bomber project
V-49 was probably based on V-48
V-50 as you mentioned for Navy,and also an advanced trainer project,could be
related to V-51 for USAAC

Last edited:
[6] No explanation is given for why the XA-31 - a straightforward USAAF Lend-Lease version of a previous export type - needed a distinct Vultee Model number (as opposed to, say, a sub-type letter added to the existing Model 72 series).

Could these be the aircraft built (as complete end-items) by the new Northrop Aircraft Inc at Hawthorne?

Amazing and brilliant work as usual my dear Apophenia,

because I will go to sleep,I can add a small things now,

V-2 was the same as AB-2
V-50 as you mentioned for Navy,and also an advanced trainer project,could be
related to V-51 for USAAC

Also,

V-52 was observation project,based on V-11/YA-19
V-58 was a transport aircraft project,intercontinental with probably seven (7) engines
V-63 was a refinement of V-54D,production BT-13 Valiant for USAAC
V-66 was a possibly used for USAAC P-66 (V-48C Vanguard) to avoid confusion
V-73 was a further production batches of A-31 for USAAF
V-77 was a stinson Reliant,USAAF AT-19
V-79 was USAAF BT-13B Valiant
V-79A (maybe re-allocated) was a USN SNV-2
V-80 as you mentioned,"three purpose"

...V-2 was the same as AB-2
V-50 as you mentioned for Navy,and also an advanced trainer project,could be related to V-51 for USAAC

Many thanks hesham.

Most sources have the Model 46 as a circa 1937 twin-engined fighter concept. So, for it (within the Models 42, 44, 45, and 46 series), are you saying that the Model 46 designation was then re-applied to one of the early Model 48 studies?

AB-2 - This was definitely a marketing designation for the Model V-12. I've become convinced that the design office sequence was 1, 11, 12. Most probably, 'AB-2' in the promotional materials was meant to suggest that the V-12C was 'Attack Bomber, 2-seat'.

On the '2', some further confusion might have been added by Wright Field TDs referring to a "Vultee V-II" when they meant V-11.

Thanks for the reminder about the Aerofiles listings. However, Aerofiles stuff does need to be taken with a grain of salt - especially in the presentation of designation styles. [1]

A few of these I've already listed ... Model 52; V-77 Gullwing; Model 79A & 79C. By "three purpose" for the Model 80, I assume this for cargo + passengers + what we'd now call combi?

[1] Overall, Aerofiles was an amazing accomplishment but K.O. Eckland was someone I had in mind when I mentioned list-makers rationalizing designations after-the-fact. There are other Vultee designation oddities within Aerofiles too - eg: 'V54-A' for V-54A, an inaccurate reversion to the earliest of Vultee designation styles.

[6] No explanation is given for why the XA-31 - a straightforward USAAF Lend-Lease version of a previous export type - needed a distinct Vultee Model number (as opposed to, say, a sub-type letter added to the existing Model 72 series).

Could these be the aircraft built (as complete end-items) by the new Northrop Aircraft Inc at Hawthorne?

Interesting suggestion aim9xray. Two interesting possibilities emerge here ...

Model 73: What if, hesham's 'V-73' was the Northrop-built A-31-NO?

Model 88: What if, as you suggest, this was the Northrop-built A-31A-NO?

All supposition, of course. But most intriguing! :D

Last edited:

My dear Apophenia,

please add V-66,andfor some Info about Model-54.

Attachments

• 66.jpg
    66.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 20
  • 83.jpg
    83.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 84.jpg
    84.jpg
    907.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    746.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1.png
    1.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 14

My dear Apophenia,

We can add or correct,

V-38 was attack bomber project of 1937
V-55 was a scout bomber project of 1939
V-56 was a single or two-seat,as a fighter or a light bomber,project of 1939

My dear Apophenia,

We can add or correct,

Thanks hesham. Details on Models 38, 55, and 56 have been added.

I will not be adding the 'V-66'. I do not deny that this supposition has found its way into print. But nor do I find this postulation very convincing - after all, Vultee wasn't compelled to create 'match-ups' between its Model numbers and other USAAF designations.

OK my dear Apophenia,and,

V-33 was not related to XB-32,later in Consolidated series was given the
same designation
V-37 was a transporet aircraft project,intercontinerntal with seven engine

OK my dear Apophenia,and,

V-33 was not related to XB-32,later in Consolidated series was given the
same designation
V-37 was a transporet aircraft project,intercontinerntal with seven engine

I discovered that,the series 1000 which later delete this number to be
only two digitals was as following(my suggesting),

XP-1015 equal V-15
XC-1031 equal V-31
XP-35 equal V-35
XP-46 1,2 & 3 equal V-46

Last edited:
This topic is concerned with Vultee aircraft PRIOR to the Consolidated-Vultee merger.

VULTEE designations typically used the V- prefix.
However, this was usually omitted in projects, or sometimes replaced by a prefix reflecting the planned mission, such as:
  • AB- for Attack Bomber (e.g. AB-2, AB-12, AB-69)
  • BC- for Basic Combat (e.g. BC-51, BC-54)
  • P- for pursuit (e.g. P-48)
  • XC- for Experimental Cargo (e.g. XC-1031)
  • XOB- for Experimental Observation-Bomber (e.g. XOB-33)
  • XP- for Experimental Pursuit (e.g. XP-35, XP-46, XP-1015)

Some non-standard VULTEE designations used three- or four-digit numbers.
  • The XP-690 project probably had a two-digit V- designation but it's not known.
  • The XP-1015 was the V-35, also found as XP-35.
  • The XC-1031 project probably had a two-digit V- designation, likely Model 41.

VULTEE and STINSON merged in 1941 to become VULTEE-STINSON.
STINSON models were now called VULTEE-STINSON, but often appeared just as STINSON, which was now a Division:
  • STINSON VIGILANT became VULTEE-STINSON V-74 (USAAF L-1), then as V-70 (to avoid confusion with the VALIANT)
  • STINSON Model Model 105 (HW-75) was probably redesignated as VULTEE-STINSON V-75A for record purposes
  • STINSON Model 10 (HW-80) VOYAGER and Army YO-54 were probably redesignated as VULTEE-STINSON V-75B
  • STINSON Model 10A (HW-90) VOYAGER and Army L-9A/-9B was redesignated as Model VULTEE-STINSON V-75C
  • STINSON Model 10B may have received a V-75_ designation for record purposes
  • STINSON SENTINEL (Army L-5 series and Navy OY) was developed under VULTEE-STINSON as the V-76
  • STINSON SR-10J RELIANT was produced in new version as VULTEE V-77 GULLWING and Army AT-19 RELIANT

VULTEE-STINSON merged with CONSOLIDATED in 1944 to form CONsolidated-Vultee AIRcraft
  • End of old CONSOLIDATED and VULTEE numbering systems
  • A new CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE numbering system started at "Model 100".
  • Most VULTEE-STINSON or STINSON projects obtained new CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE designations
  • The TWIN STINSON project was purchased by PIPER (as the PA-21) and led to the PA-23 Apache/Aztec
  • VULTEE Model 90 usually found as a CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE type, but retained VULTEE designation
  • VALIANT versions sometimes found as CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE and CONVAIR types

UPDATED 29 June 2018 - Table removed for modification. New model list will be uploaded soon.
We can add or correct,

Hi hope this is the right place! I am trying to track a Vultee marked VP- JAG. This was located in Jamaica back in the early 50’s?

Hi hope this is the right place! I am trying to track a Vultee marked VP- JAG. This was located in Jamaica back in the early 50’s?
Hi William! Not quite the right place, but I've found what you were looking for on another web page, that of the late Joe Baugher.
According to his very well documented site, VP-JAG was the civilian registration given to former U.S. Navy Vultee SNV-2 Valiant (USN BuAer serial number 52262, manufacturer's construction number 79224). The airplane crashed on Jan 24, 1948, killing its owner, and the wreckage was sold for scrap. Please note that the "VP-" prefix was simply the international code for aircraft registered in Jamaica, so the "V" in it had nothing to do with Vultee, just a coincidence. Hope this helps!

Source page: https://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1944_1.html