• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Vultee aircraft designations

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
This topic is concerned with Vultee aircraft PRIOR to the Consolidated-Vultee merger.

VULTEE designations typically used the V- prefix.

However, this was usually omitted in projects, or sometimes replaced by a prefix reflecting the planned mission, such as:
  • AB- for Attack Bomber (e.g. AB-2, AB-12, AB-69)
  • BC- for Basic Combat (e.g. BC-51, BC-54)
  • P- for pursuit (e.g. P-48)
  • XC- for Experimental Cargo (e.g. XC-1031)
  • XOB- for Experimental Observation-Bomber (e.g. XOB-33)
  • XP- for Experimental Pursuit (e.g. XP-35, XP-46, XP-1015)

Some non-standard VULTEE designations used three- or four-digit numbers.

• The XP-690 project probably had a two-digit V- designation but it's not known.
  • The XP-1015 was the V-35, also found as XP-35.
  • The XC-1031 project probably had a two-digit V- designation, likely Model 41.

VULTEE and STINSON merged in 1941 to become VULTEE-STINSON.
STINSON models were now called VULTEE-STINSON, but often appeared just as STINSON, which was now a Division:
  • STINSON VIGILANT became VULTEE-STINSON V-74 (USAAF L-1), then as V-70 (to avoid confusion with the VALIANT)
  • STINSON Model Model 105 (HW-75) was probably redesignated as VULTEE-STINSON V-75A for record purposes
  • STINSON Model 10 (HW-80) VOYAGER and Army YO-54 were probably redesignated as VULTEE-STINSON V-75B
  • STINSON Model 10A (HW-90) VOYAGER and Army L-9A/-9B was redesignated as Model VULTEE-STINSON V-75C
  • STINSON Model 10B may have received a V-75_ designation for record purposes
  • STINSON SENTINEL (Army L-5 series and Navy OY) was developed under VULTEE-STINSON as the V-76
  • STINSON SR-10J RELIANT was produced in new version as VULTEE V-77 GULLWING and Army AT-19 RELIANT

VULTEE-STINSON merged with CONSOLIDATED in 1944 to form CONsolidated-Vultee AIRcraft
  • End of old CONSOLIDATED and VULTEE numbering systems
  • A new CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE numbering system started at "Model 100".
  • Most VULTEE-STINSON or STINSON projects obtained new CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE designations
  • The TWIN STINSON project was purchased by PIPER (as the PA-21) and led to the PA-23 Apache/Aztec
  • VULTEE Model 90 usually found as a CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE type, but retained VULTEE designation
  • VALIANT versions sometimes found as CONSOLIDATED-VULTEE and CONVAIR types

UPDATED 29 June 2018 - Table removed for modification. New model list will be uploaded soon.

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

old info from Internet;

V-65 & V-66 single seat fighter projects.

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
Hi,
I search for pics and/or drawings of the Vultee V-85 "Vengeance" dive bomber version and the only V-89 "Vengeance" test bed for the Wright R.3350 engine.

Thanks for your help

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
This is a big mistake !!!!!
The V.65 you mention here is NOT a Vultee model, but a VOUGHT V-65. The Brazilian side is completely wrong.

snark

But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
Reaction score
This is a big mistake !!!!!
The V.65 you mention here is NOT a Vultee model, but a VOUGHT V-65. The Brazilian side is completely wrong.
Hi Maveric
Profuse apologies and thanks for catching my mistake. I see that this is actually the Vought model number of the well-known O2U Corsair, which I should have realized. This was the only mention I found of a "Vultee V-65" of the 30's and I ran with it. I have deleted my post. Regards, Harry

Last edited: