Vought V-433 Close Support

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All -

Another scan from the Vought Archives. The date on the 3 view drawing appears to be July, 1957 so I am not too sure what specific Navy program this was proposed for or if it was an unsolicited proposal. Nice looking design nonetheless.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• Vought V-433 3V.gif
    Vought V-433 3V.gif
    412.9 KB · Views: 1,725
  • V-433 Major Assembly Sequence.gif
    V-433 Major Assembly Sequence.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,444
According to the Vought Design List it was intended for the Navy (Marines ?)

any idea as to the engine proposed??

cheers,
Robin.

There's no obvious tailhook on the drawing so I was thinking USMC as well.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Mark Nankivil said:

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Look again at the assembly sequence drawing, there appears to be a hook shown with Lower Aft Item 610.

Jon

Its got to be related to the TS 149 (A-6 Intruder) studies Vought did, they included a single engined turboprop design. TS 149 designs were submitted in August 1957 which is closely contemporary.

TS 149 required twin seats and advanced avionics however - but it was designed to meet both a Navy long range interdiction and a Marine Corps close air support mission.

Perhaps this design was a study of filling just the Marines CAS mission without the long range interdiction role?

That makes a lot of sense - the two roles seem to be rather contradictory for one airframe, especially if you view close air support by the USMC definition vs. what the USAF (and maybe to some extent, the US Navy) thinks it means. The Harrier proves that.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Look again at the assembly sequence drawing, there appears to be a hook shown with Lower Aft Item 610.

The hook is there...see the image below.

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• Vought V-433 3V showing hook.jpg
    Vought V-433 3V showing hook.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 1,202
Model photos, artwork and drawings can be found in American Secret Projects: Bombers, Attack and Anti-Submarine Aircraft along with details. It was an unsolicited study from 1959 for a low cost Navy attack aircraft. The engine was initially a T64, then T56.

From the Vought Archives a model of the V-433 and an artists concept.

Attachments

• V-433-Model.jpg
    V-433-Model.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 692
  • V-433-Artist-Concept.jpg
    V-433-Artist-Concept.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,635
Here are a few more images of V-433 models from the workshop of Jay Frank Dial who did some of the modeling for Vought. The image with the P-39 and V-433 are an interesting size comparison

Attachments

• P-39 and V-433 Attack Aircraft Jay Frank Dial Models.jpg
    P-39 and V-433 Attack Aircraft Jay Frank Dial Models.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 199
  • V-433 Attack Aircraft Left Front View On Landing Gear Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    V-433 Attack Aircraft Left Front View On Landing Gear Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 188
  • V-433 Attack Aircraft Lower Left Front View Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    V-433 Attack Aircraft Lower Left Front View Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 174
  • V-433 Attack Aircraft Right Rear Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    V-433 Attack Aircraft Right Rear Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 167
  • V-433 Attack Aircraft Upper Left Front View Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    V-433 Attack Aircraft Upper Left Front View Jay Frank Dial Model.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 254
Thanks @Bill S. I don’t know why, but it reminds me a little of the Breguet 960 Vultur. Must be the turboprop and similar mission requirement (Naval close air support)…

…and interesting to note the jet exhaust in the wing. This makes me idly wonder if Vought too looked into mixed propulsion, with a small jet engine to improve combat performance? Or if the giant T56 in the nose was tweaked to produce more residual jet thrust than the typical turboprop?

Last edited:
Dang that looks like it would have been a blast to fly!

Here are a few more images of V-433 models from the workshop of Jay Frank Dial who did some of the modeling for Vought. The image with the P-39 and V-433 are an interesting size comparison

Jay Frank Dial was a friend of deceased forum member Gary Morelock ("elider") and Gary photographed several Vought project models in Dial's possession.

Jay Frank Dial also wrote:

Profile 47 Chance-Vought F4U-1 Corsair
Profile 150 The Chance Vought F4U-4 to F4U-7 Corsair

Last edited:
Had one in the collection and thought it was Douglas. What threw me was the light blue canopy and an exact match to my many Douglas in-house wood models. You can see him here - he is hiding on the 4th shelf down, middle.

Attachments

• model collection 9 2.jpg
    model collection 9 2.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 219