• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Various Focke-Wulf projects

newsdeskdan

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
sgeorges4 said:
was the flitzer actualy proposed for the volksjäger?
Yes, although it was apparently submitted too late to be given serious consideration.

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
sgeorges4 said:
that was the bmw 003 variant?
You've not seen the contemporary drawing which shows the Focke-Wulf Volksflugzeug next to the Einheits-T-L-Jaeger? I'm sure I posted a version of it somewhere hereabouts which shows that the Peterle was also included. If not, yes, Focke-Wulf offered three designs for Volksjaeger - the conventional layout Volksflugzeug either with swept wings or straight and a BMW 003, the Flitzer with BMW 003 (upgradable to the 011 in the future without major fuselage changes, which was the Einheits-T-L-Jaeger), and the PTL-powered Peterle. It was all in vain though, because the Heinkel P 1073 had been chosen as the winner even before the competition got started, much to the annoyance of Richard Vogt, since all reasonably impartial observers thought that his Blohm & Voss P 211 design was better.

sgeorges4

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
heinkel lobbying and from what Vogt say,they didn't seem to have look to the Siebel and project(sorry for my english,still french).

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi,

the FW P.0310239-01,P.0310239-02 & P.0310239-10,is that right ?.

Attachments

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
Hi,

the FW P.0310239-01,P.0310239-02 & P.0310239-10,is that right ?.

No - I'm sure we've covered this elsewhere. Those are Focke-Wulf drawing numbers. There is no 'P' in front of them.

Scan_0840.jpg

And there were only two designs studied - tailless and conventional layout. These had drawing numbers 0310 239-10 and 0310 239-01 respectively. The following (see below) is just an early sketch for the conventional layout design - not a third design in its own right.
This sketch appears at the end of a large file of notes on the two designs and whoever first 'discovered' it presumably didn't bother to actually read this file itself. If they had, they would have realised the file was microfilmed in reverse chronological order - so the newest papers appear at the beginning and oldest papers appear at the end. So this was one of the oldest pages - but the 'discoverer' thought it was the last and newest, and arbitrarily decided it should be the '1000 x 1000 x 1000 C'. Interesting that you've found someone who's gone to the trouble of making up a drawing number for it.

Scan_0746.jpg

Here is the first page of the report that the tidied up versions of the two designs appear in:

Scan_0821.jpg

And here is Focke-Wulf Oberingenieur Herbert Wolff's first draft of the first page of the report:

First draft 1.jpg

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Thank you my dear Dan,

and I speak generally,do you think there was a series between 0310 239-01 and 0310 239-10 ?,I mean from
-02 to -09 !,but still unknown ?.

newsdeskdan

Reaction score
Thank you my dear Dan,

and I speak generally,do you think there was a series between 0310 239-01 and 0310 239-10 ?,I mean from
-02 to -09 !,but still unknown ?.
There is no evidence of any further designs. All the notes and calculations, over a period of several months, refer to just the tailless and conventional layouts. It's not impossible that there were other drawings in the sequence but my feeling is that the numbers are done that way to avoid appearing to give one design prominence over the other - if one had been '-01' and the other '-02' you might think that less importance had been attached to '-02' during the study. The issue of conventional v tailless layout was very contentious at the time.

Basil

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Dan, thx for posting this highly interesting original documents. Especially it is worth pointing out that Herbert Wolff describes the need for area ruling the fuselage (Einziehung des Rumpfes an der Flügelwurzel - tapering the fuselage at the wingroot). Besides Hertel at Junkers this is one of the first mentioning of area ruling before its reinvention in the early 1950s.

Basil

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Dan,
in # 222, 224 and 225 you mention unpublished Fw nightfighter and zerstoerer projects. Any chance of seeing them published in one of your booklet series or anywhere else?