robinbird

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Does anyone know the history of this particular captured V2, which I believe was at RAF Beaulieu (Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment) at the end of the war. My late father took the photograph as the AFEE photographer but that is all that I know. v2.JPG

Thank you, very interesting. I know AFEE Beaulieu tested captured German helicopters etc. Don't think they launched this one! Your feedback really interesting. AFEE worked closely with Farnborough and A&AEE.

Last edited:
Is that one of the Operation Backfire examples evaluated at Cuxhaven ? (looks like there is a lot of original German ground support in the image)

Picture was taken at Beaulieu for sure, one of a batch dad took. He never went abroad during the war serving with AFEE and MAEE before that. However, it could be captured German ground support equipment as Beaulieu would not have such equipment of its own.

Following feedback the location of the photograph may not be Beaulieu. Apparently, the type of buildings in the background don't fit in. Any ideas of where it could be? The photograph was first published in Top Secret War Bird of WW11 in 1999 shortly after dad's death when I discovered his wartime and post war (press ) photographs. Dad worked as a photographer of secret aircraft trials by both AFEE and MAEE on behalf of the Ministry of Production. Many I have since traced to National Archives, Kew. If the location is not Beaulieu it would have been in that 'neck of woods' for that is where he was after Ringway until 1947. Thanks again for the interest.