Horizons_5_3.JPG
    521.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Horizons_5_4.JPG
    Horizons_5_4.JPG
    686 KB · Views: 297
Source:
The SST Here it comes, ready or not
By Don Dwiggins, Doubleday & Co. Inc., 1968

Kelly Johnson's input on the SST and an illustration of a Continental Airlines SST. The caption is confusing on this one - citing the design as both Douglas and North American.

I have a color version of this drawing on really old Kodak paper. My grandpa worked for the Air Force and gave it to me as a gift.Do I have a photo copy of the original? is it worth anything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
Found out that the Lockheed L-2000 mockup was used in a movie in 1977, "SST : Death Flight" :
The plot is hilarious. Yes, sabotaged hydraulics, explosive decompression, AND "Senegal flu" (!?) onboard .
so maybe that's where that mockup ended :

1332085_poster_scale_480x640.jpg

Apparently only views of the nose and inside the cockpit were used, so the thing was maybe already not complete/partly broken.
See screenshots here , first one clearly is the L-2000 mockup cockpit :

Wow, Galgot, that a major discovery. My own research told me, that L-2000 mockup had ended its life at the FAA Oklahoma center, where it was used for SST passenger evacuation tests. Then it was left there for many years, to rot. This was in the early 70's, yet the movie was done in 1977 so the mockup should have been in barely acceptable state to figure even in a low-key movie...

Yes, maybe only what was left of it was used for that film. the cockpit and maybe part of the nose ...
Which make sense if you say it was used for passenger evacuation tests, then maybe the FAA used the cabin part and not much of the cockpit/nose section and that part remained in 'correct" shape.
Would have to see that film (and not die from laughter).

Wow. I checked out the cast on the Wiki link and what a trip down memory lane. I haven't heard some of those names in decades.

The L-2000 is really badly treated. A really sorry airplane.:D

Thank you Phillipzu,

in this topic,and in replies # 91,268,287,320 and specially 655,you will find the answer.

I've been looking through my images and can't seem to find the -7B/GE for some reason. Thanks for reminding me to look again.

Hi Phillipzu,

in the report,Lockheed Horizons,all descrition,I have it,but I can't find it between my files now.

The NAA-60.

Ah, of course. I figured.
That’s why the XB-70 is mentioned. Thanks for clearing things up, Hesham! ^^
That's actually one of the M-3000 models, based directly off the B-70. The NAC-60 had only one vertical stabilizer, which was a all moving surface, rather than having a separate rudder. It does look magnificent in that Northwest scheme, though.

Hi, I am an airport planner and historian. I am particularly fascinated by the new generation of SST jetports that were planned back in the 1960s. I wrote an article about it, which you can read here: Airports for the Supersonic Age, featuring many fantastic artist's impressions of newly planned airports. I also wrote a follow-up article, that talks about what finally came of the ambitions.

Hi, I am an airport planner and historian. I am particularly fascinated by the new generation of SST jetports that were planned back in the 1960s. I wrote an article about it, which you can read here: Airports for the Supersonic Age, featuring many fantastic artist's impressions of newly planned airports. I also wrote a follow-up article, that talks about what finally came of the ambitions.
Here I am again, trying to remember where I saw this before, and mentioning having seen plans for the airport at Newport News, then called Patrick Henry International, now called Newport News/Williamsburg International, that were intended for the 1970s to about 1980, and supersonic transports were a part of what they were planning for. More accurately, I saw pictures, which as part of cleanup project that my Civil Air Patrol squadron was doing, that we were told to throw away. I seriously regret not finding a way to save them.

I did found your excellent articles some time ago during my weekly SST search session, thanks for posting here.
There are some quite technical detailed docs about airports compatibilities at the DTIC :

Super!! Northrop laminar flow control wing SST model. I can see many small holes to suction boundary layer in the wing and the vertical tail stabilizer stabilizer surface.
Perhaps same size as Douglas 2229 SST. Rather small. Forgive me to enlarge picture.;)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Attachments

• Northrop LFC system operating principle.JPG
    Northrop LFC system operating principle.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 199
  • suction system concept.jpg
    suction system concept.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 192
  • x21-2.jpg
    x21-2.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 173
  • x21-3.jpg
    x21-3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 176
  • x21-4.jpg
    x21-4.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
From Aviation magazine 1963,

what was this NA VG aircraft Project,and sorry for my question,is that belong to here or not ?.

Attachments

• NA.png
    NA.png
    884.7 KB · Views: 193
Back
Top Bottom