• 5.png
    5.png
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • 6.png
    6.png
    784.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

US Navy "V/STOL Type A COMPETITION,What is "B" clasification, "C" or "D"any information about defferents,and possiby aircraft concept design??​

Alas, the only substantive part of the program is rotting in the back of Moffett Field, CA.
Ah yes, my first 'paper airplane' assignment, only months out of college. I speak of Design 698-309 dated June 1976, our initial Type A configuration, as drawn by Tony Bacci and directed by Bob Kress. I had the very good fortune to have Dr. Wolfgang Gunther Buchmann as my lead engineer and mentor.
The NASA-Ames model is a later configuration, reflecting a proposed flight demonstrator design. The last version I worked on was Design 698-411, our baseline submittal responding to the Navair's 1977 RFI, in support of the Navy's development of the Sea-based Air Master Study (SeaBAMS). Grumman management incorrectly presumed (or maybe just wished) the RFI was the precursor to a formal program launch. Can't recall by 1977 if we had yet ditched the canards and the engine-hinge scheme off the wing front spar (not sure what Kress was thinking). Thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Please donate to support the forum.

Back
Top Bottom