• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US Lifting Bodies Studies - START (ASSET/PRIME), FDL, X-24, etc.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Michel Van said:
flateric said:
what it has to do with _lifting bodies_?
That's Convair version of reusable Atlas rocket
the reusable Second stage is a lifting body
Thank you my dear Michel.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
From L+K 12/1965,

I don't remember what was this Boeing ?.

Attachments

Michel Van

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The idea is intriguing: Aero-Gravity Assist

Do a Fly-By so close to Mars and Venus, that the Spacecraft rams through its atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.
The study look into use of Waverider (Lifting Body) cover in Carbon heatshield to survive the temperature of 3000°K
According the Study it would reduce travel time to outer Solarsystem
Bonus the Waverider could use Aerodynamic capture at target Gas giants or Saturn Moon Titan

RanulfC

Reaction score

Do a Fly-By so close to Mars and Venus, that the Spacecraft rams through its atmosphere at hypersonic speeds.
The study look into use of Waverider (Lifting Body) cover in Carbon heatshield to survive the temperature of 3000°K
Bonus the Waverider could use Aerodynamic capture at target Gas giants or Saturn Moon Titan

Interesting stuff! I recall ASTRA (Association in Scotland to Research into Astronautics) proposed a similar mission plan for an Interplanetary Waverider around the same-ish time. Up to and including a 'flexible' aero-form for more utility. Can't find my good link :(

Randy

RanulfC

Reaction score
Some more Interplanetary Waverider stuff I came across:

[/URL]

Among others :) There appears to have been a couple of waves, (pardon the pun) of interest around the late 90s and mid-2000's for some reason.

Oh and this one is interesting both in the historic and conclusions on 'wedge' waveriders:

Randy

chimeric oncogene

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score

Oh I remember seeing that. The most insane aerobraking concept ever. They hoped to be able to go into a retrograde orbit around the sun (or fall into it, solar probe style) by flying around Venus using Venus's atmosphere.