U2 program; 1954 - 1974

NERVA

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Apologize if this link has been posted (I did a search for U2 spy planes and didn't find anything).

Enjoy.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/the-cia-and-the-u-2-program-1954-1974/u2.pdf

Can anyone recommend literature about the Black Cat squadron (squadron of U2 pilots stationed in Taiwan - believe most or all of the pilots were ROC military)? This unit conducted reconn flights over the PRC during the late 50s thru the early 70s. Thank you.

...seems that SVR should send CIA better xerox and scanners)))

NERVA said:
Can anyone recommend literature about the Black Cat squadron (squadron of U2 pilots stationed in Taiwan - believe most or all of the pilots were ROC military)? This unit conducted reconn flights over the PRC during the late 50s thru the early 70s. Thank you.
Chris Pocock's weighty volume on U-2 operations, 50 Years of the U-2: The Complete Illustrated History of the Dragon Lady devotes quite a bit to ROC U-2 operations.

Road Runners Internationale, known for their content on the A-12/SR-71, has information on a couple of ROCAF U-2 pilots. One of which has a book, Lost Black Cats, about his experience being shot down over China. A link for his book and bio is below:
http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/hua.html

Also, checkout the video (Flash Presentation) listed on the same page. Its about CIA/ROCAF overflights over China. You'll need flashplayer to view it.

NERVA said:

If you're willing to wait a few months, Pocock is coming out with a book on the Black Cat squadron. (I'm helping with page proofs right now.)

blackstar said:
NERVA said:

If you're willing to wait a few months, Pocock is coming out with a book on the Black Cat squadron. (I'm helping with page proofs right now.)

Sure will, thanks.

Dynoman said:
Road Runners Internationale, known for their content on the A-12/SR-71, has information on a couple of ROCAF U-2 pilots. One of which has a book, Lost Black Cats, about his experience being shot down over China. A link for his book and bio is below:
http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/hua.html

Also, checkout the video (Flash Presentation) listed on the same page. Its about CIA/ROCAF overflights over China. You'll need flashplayer to view it.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

It was a single download (along with the chapters) last night. I wonder if they couldn't handle the site traffic. This has been getting pretty wide coverage in various enthusiast communities.

Update: The story on the GWU page is now number 1 in the Yahoo news rotation with a direct link to the page...

aim9xray said:
It was a single download (along with the chapters) last night. I wonder if they couldn't handle the site traffic. This has been getting pretty wide coverage in various enthusiast communities.

Update: The story on the GWU page is now number 1 in the Yahoo news rotation with a direct link to the page...

Finally managed to get the thing down as a single download. I can see why people are interested and why the UFO nuts going to be really angry since this shoots down just about everything they've claimed, well, except for the cover up aspects of Blue Book, although it was not covering up what they thought it was covering up.

Look to see claims that this book is 'disinfo' in the near future.

I really enjoyed reading the history of the spy satellite development and am looking forward to reading this. :D
There is a mistake on the site. Just download the pdf from the link in the central part of the page, rename it from .pdf to .torrent and open it in micro torrent for instance. Downloaded it in 20 seconds or so. :) Over 400 pages and by looking at it, 99% of the text is there, the level of redaction is similar to one used in history of Corona and Hexagon. The quality of pictures is bad, but the maps are ok. Someone just xeroxed the whole book instead of using the regular scanner.

Don't forget to download and read Chris Pocock's notes about what is, and isn't, "new news".

British pilots flew U-2s into Soviet Union
Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2396001/The-RAFs-secret-spies-Declassified-CIA-documents-reveal-British-pilots-flew-U2-missions-Soviet-Union-Cold-War.html?ito=feeds-newsxml