TAI TF-X / Milli Muharip Uçak MMU Kaan

Interesting development Waterballoon, is there any info about the new engine released or is it too early.
There are no specs but this is the best image we have.

From the looks of it it's a typical 3/6/1/1 turbofan with a low BPR. The latest official news about the engine is from May last year: "We have largely completed the performance analyzes and cycle analyzes that will determine the first general configuration of the engine. The detailed design work of the engine has now started"

There have been some notable changes in the cockpit.

GHSiJuGWcAAVcho

Next time a new fighter comes out I’m gonna make a bingo game with the following entries:

1) length, wing span, height or other dimensions.
2) empty weight.
3) engine thrust/thrust to weight
4) eye ball RCS
5) number of missiles carried internally and whether my schlong range is marginally longer than the other guy’s.
6) radome aperture size. The bigger the better.
7) If the display is one piece and how big it is (I’m starting to see a pattern here).
8) If the argument goes on for longer than three pages it is automatic bingo.
9) bonus bingo if people argue about the role of the aircraft.

Seriously though in over a decade people have not change one bit…

Next time a new fighter comes out I’m gonna make a bingo game with the following entries:

2) empty weight.
4) eye ball RCS
5) number of missiles carried internally and whether my schlong range is marginally longer than the other guy’s.
7) If the display is one piece and how big it is (I’m starting to see a pattern here).

Only reason I care about T:W is how it interacts with fuel load, since we know that most modern fighters are designed to have a 1:1 T:W at roughly half their fuel load.

2) empty weight.
4) eye ball RCS

Don't forget that prototypes/technology demonstrators must be equal or better than inservice US "5th gen" aircraft or they are immediately a waste of time to their country and inferior products which should be stopped.

latest footage published by Tusaş, there are images from the production process of KAAN's prototype.
Video

Attachments

• IMG_20240228_081445.jpg
    IMG_20240228_081445.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20240228_081510.jpg
    IMG_20240228_081510.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20240228_081529.jpg
    IMG_20240228_081529.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20240228_081548.jpg
    IMG_20240228_081548.jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 97
8tons?! (see load spreader max capacity).

If they had a 1.2 safety factor, that makes the empty airframe without engine, systems and accessories (but landing gear) at 6.5t.

Not bad at all.

As a comparison, equipped F-16 fuselage seems to use two spreaders rated, probably, each at 7000lb (hence 14000lb), what translates to 5.6t, after adding the same safety factor.

Screenshot_20240228_124703.jpg

Last edited:
And without wings/underside of fuselage as they appear to have been separately moved into its assembly cradle.

Last edited:
Well obviously not as in the video you see it being moved with the wheels down but no wing attached on the left (11 secs) and a separate nose/canopy fuselage section to the wing/rear fuselage section. At 7 secs you can see them working on a underside of wing and partial engine cowling pane and 9-10 secs seems to be assembling then doing a test fit of one of the tails to the fuselage.

Last edited:
latest footage published by Tusaş, there are images from the production process of KAAN's prototype.
Video
It's a must watch! The video includes a lot of snippets from Kaan's assembly.
View: https://twitter.com/TUSAS_TR/status/1762704142223516117?t=vapvKAuKjLbsf6Q5h6bFBQ&s=19

When they produced the first component of Kaan, a well known newspaper had criticized it, calling it a "radiator".

65d59f93d0477847__w1200xh1079.jpg

So basically this is TAI sticking it to those idiots two years later.

It's a must watch! The video includes a lot of snippets from Kaan's assembly.
View: https://twitter.com/TUSAS_TR/status/1762704142223516117?t=vapvKAuKjLbsf6Q5h6bFBQ&s=19

When they produced the first component of Kaan, a well known newspaper had criticized it, calling it a "radiator".

View attachment 721249

So basically this is TAI sticking it to those idiots two years later.
KAAN aka "Kalorifer Peteği"(radiator) gave a nice answer to everyone who underestimated him

Well obviously not as in the video you see it being moved with the wheels down but no wing attached on the left (11 secs) and a separate nose/canopy fuselage section to the wing/rear fuselage section. At 7 secs you can see them working on a underside of wing and partial engine cowling pane and 9-10 secs seems to be assembling then doing a test fit of one of the tails to the fuselage.
That's not "wing" that's the elevator. What you see at 0:11 is also the elevator hinge. That empty space is where the elevator sits. The wings and center fuselage are produced as monoblock. MMU's jigs were actually shown in a video about Hürjet last year.

It appears TAI bought a second hand Global 6000 to use it a testbed for Kaan.

Ibrahim Sunnetci

DEFENCE TURKEY Magazine Chief Writer
Canada's Ambassador to Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan,
Kevin HAMILTON, in a post on his social media account
Twitter today, shared that the aircraft with tail number 9871 and
TC-SJC is one of the 4 aircraft (9854, 9855, 9869 and 9871)
purchased from the Canadian Bombardier company within
the scope of the HAVA SOJ Program. He shared an image
of the registered Bombardier Global 6000 Business Jet taken
at TAI facilities. TAI also purchased a second-hand
Bombardier Global 6000 Business Jet, which was factory-made in
2015 and had flown in the USA with the N10HD tail registration,
in 2023 to modify it for Test Bed (KAAN MMU/TF-X
Programme). ASELSAN completed the Factory Acceptance
Tests (FAT) of the mission system to be installed on the first HAVA
SOJ Aircraft (Bombardier Global 6000 Business Jet with
tail number 9854) in December 2023, and the certification
procedures were expected to be completed as of
February 4. After the certification procedures are completed,
HAVA SOJ Mission System consoles and electronic equipment
will begin to be installed on the first aircraft. ASELSAN aims
to complete the FAT process of the mission systems and
payloads to be used in the 2nd and 3rd HAVA SOJ Aircraft by
the end of 2024. According to the information I have
obtained, a change will be made only regarding the new
generation MİLSİS ELINT Pod, which will be carried
under the wing on HAVA SOJ Aircraft. Completion of
deliveries under the HAVA SOJ Project by 2028
targeted.
GHcJI5iWEAA9iRf
GHarb5AWcAA1gyT

Last edited:
8tons?! (see load spreader max capacity).

If they had a 1.2 safety factor, that makes the empty airframe without engine, systems and accessories (but landing gear) at 6.5t.

Not bad at all.

As a comparison, equipped F-16 fuselage seems to use two spreaders rated, probably, each at 7000lb (hence 14000lb), what translates to 5.6t, after adding the same safety factor.

Kaan is hung under two load spreaders as well.
No way it's only 16% heavier than an F-16.

It seems some avionics used in the first flight were not indigenous. I am wondering if the flight controller is Italian like Hurjet.
View attachment 721481

View: https://x.com/tubitakbilgem/status/1763468592777941105?s=20
"used in the first flight and are under development" doesn't mean they used foreign equipment in stead. None of those equipments are fully developed yet until the aircraft itself passes all tests and the serial production begins, that's why that's the language being used here.

What you said is valid for Hurjet though since they wanted it to fly a lot earlier than Kaan but acc. to multiple statements from many high-ranking people in charge, including the head engineer himself; only the ejection seat, some valves and the engines are foreign on the current prototype. If their words don't mean something, then I don't know whose actually does.

Edit:

Flight Control and (drones?)Aircraft Control Computers, Antenna Test System, Mission control computer, High Speed Network System, EMC Test System.

These are the components that are yet to be integrated and are still under deveelopment.

Let me tell you this. The prototype that flew was supposed to be a ground test article, it is currently used to test a limited envelope of the aircraft's flight characteristics until P1 rolls out; it is essentially a technology demonstrator. It is not a combat capable aircraft yet. It doesn't need most of these at this stage of its development. The first flight was merely a couple of days ago.

Edit #2:

In case what I said doesn't convince you, here's what someone else said in an another forum:
You can't fly this fully digital aircraft without a flight computer and you can't buy a flight computer from somewhere and fly your aircraft with it. It doesn't work that way. Probably an early version or another flight computer that is enough to make the first flight is used while the flight computer that will have the full capability is in development.

NRFRT means Near Field Rcs Test Facility. It is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the first flight. It will be ready this year.

EMC test system has nothing to do with the first flight.

A mission computer is not needed for a first flight it is evident that this aircraft is neither mission-ready nor carries any mission-specific sensors like a radar.

I think the high-speed network is self-explanatory it is not going to use network capability anytime soon.

Last edited:
It doesnt need a mission computer, because it is not combat capable

It doesnt need high speed network because it is not a demo for MUM-T

NFRTF is a near-field RCS test system, EMC test system is needed for later stages, like fitting of EW systems and AESA arrayy etc

Well, Tubitak did not list indigenous flight controller under the list of components Kaan flew with (the ones on the left). There is no point trying to bend the truth.

The tweet is quite clear to me, I understand why it may not be for others. I wanted to post here for possible future disputes. Make of that tweet what you will.