Saturn vs N1 shows the advantage not just of Von Braun's absolute authority
Just
The failure of the N1 is in marked contrast to the success of the Soyuz, which has become the most used manned system.
Rather like the Titan and Gemini, Soyuz could have been an alternative, if risky, way to the Moon.
Saturn vs N1 shows the advantage not just of Von Braun's absolute authority but the lavish amounts of money and industrial resource available to the USA.
It had nothing to do with Von Braun's "absolute authority", which never existed. Von Braun did not design the Saturn V. His organization did (Koelle). It was another center (Silverstein) that told him to use hydrogen in the upperstages. Also, all up testing was a Headquarters mandate (Mueller).

Also, it wasn't the "lavish amounts of money and industrial resource", it was just doing ground tests.
Replying to my own post because just thought of something.
The Saturn V's success was due to Von Braun's lack of "absolute authority" (others made significant decisions, which included LOR) and the N1 failed because of Korolev's "absolute authority". His decisions on propellant types and engine supplier also aided in the demise of vehicle.

With all these mentions of arcane, exotic, 'BeNOTthere' propellants, I feel I must reference a truly tall tale...

Tangential: After Uni, the first job interview I attended coincided with 'New Scientist' breaking news of PVC stabilisers' prompt carcinogenicity. My would-be employers made that stuff in bulk. IIRC, even the manager who spoke to me had been hastily up-dating his CV while scouring the 'vacancies' in that NS issue. We made small talk, then I fled.

During my second interview, at a smaller and rather ramshackle site that looked like a pyro factory --Thick-walled bunkers with corrugated roofs, wide doors and multiple foam inlets-- the 'interview board' showed me a molecular formula, asked how I'd make the stuff. My first glance found three (3) ways the molecule would come apart unpleasantly with scant encouragement, or even spontaneously.
( Think 'sweating' dynamite in High Summer, nitroglycerin oil in old, glass-stoppered bottle on sun-lit shelf, nitrogen tri-iodide on meth... )
Very, very politely, I replied that I wouldn't dare, given its extreme exothermic instability.
The board members smiled, explained that they had a reliable work-flow.
A few seconds later, alarms began to sound, bleepers bleeped, the site fire-team ran past the window and I was hastily ordered off the site before city fire-crews arrived and took names...

The Saturn V's success was due to Von Braun's lack of "absolute authority" (others made significant decisions, which included LOR) and the N1 failed because of Korolev's "absolute authority". His decisions on propellant types and engine supplier also aided in the demise of vehicle.
Two strong personalities, Glushko and Korolev could not agree
Korolev was the lead and Glushko was a supplier. Korolev decided not to use him.

Two strong personalities, Glushko and Korolev could not agree
Korolev was the lead and Glushko was a supplier. Korolev decided not to use him.
The conflict was deep: Glushko urged on hypergolics looking for few engines with higher performances while Korolev didn't like them because nasty and dangerous and so he always wanted kerolox engines, more and more of them with lower performances but more reliability.