The Never Warships Forum has been defunct for at least a decade.
Sadly. after its third incarnation imploded it moved to the forums of a video game, for reasons that never made much sense to me. There, it got swamped by gamers, and then disappeared behind a paywall.

It always seemed to me that this site was a more natural home for the old Warship Projects Board, but for some reason that wasn't on the cards.

I have four complete files with the tittle Soviet Nuclear Cruisers Warships Projects Discusion boards from 2006 in Chrome HTML format. How can I put here?

Ákos (Csatshajós) does not wanted to make another forum (costly, other issues) and he was already part at tgat time the Wows test group so that is why the wows forum was chosen, but I knew at that time it wasn't the best idea. Most members of the old forum are spread over various other forums like Secret Projects but they mostly gathered at the battlecruisers forum here:

This is probably its spiritual home now. Many of the old crowd (including me) are members of All the World's Battlecruisers, but as a forum it tends to focus on pre-1945 topics and has a strong what-if/modelling focus rather than projects as such. It certainly goes into more depth on naval research topics though and is well worth a visit.

Warship Projects Discussion Boards 3_0 View topic - Soviet Nuclear Cruisers_1
Warship Projects Discussion Boards 3.0
Never-were warships of the XXth century

Soviet Nuclear Cruisers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
AuthorMessage
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hood
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:33 pm Post subject: Soviet Nuclear CruisersReply with quote

Can anybody help?
Were there any plans for nuclear powered cruisers in the 1960s or any smaller alternatives to the Kirov Class in the 1970s? The Soviets had many nuclear powered submarines and I would have thought the Navy would have planned surface ships with nuclear reactors.
Thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:05 pm Post subject: Soviet CGN'sReply with quote

The Soviets generated a lot of designs for nuclear powered surface ships. V. P. Kuzin hinted at a bewildering variety in his four-part article on the Project 1144 (Kirov CGN's) published in Taifun but I haven't got much more than that. Had the Soviet Union been able to survice, there would have been more nuclear surface ships.

In addition to political opposition, I expect that economics and the demands on the Soviet nuclear industry in meeting the needs of the nuclear submarine programme probably delayed implimenation of any programme of Nuclear Powered surface ships in the first place.

I do have some information and graphics on some of the versions of the Project 63 CGN from Jim Anderson's previous posts and some correspondence with V. Yakubov a couple of years ago. I also have some information on Project 1126 which I posted on version 2 of this board and obtained from Breyer's Schlachtshiffe and Schlactkruezer 1921-1997 if you are interested.

Cool

spacer.gif

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:08 pm Post subject: That was me!Reply with quote

That was me, typo's and all.

Finger trouble for the typo's.

Computer brain fart to blame for the improper sign in!

Cool

spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:15 pm Post subject: One more time!Reply with quote

Theabove guest submissions were from me, M. A. Rozon!
spacer.gif
ender
Seaman
Seaman

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:41 pm Post subject: Re: Soviet CGN'sReply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

I do have some information and graphics on some of the versions of the Project 63 CGN from Jim Anderson's previous posts and some correspondence with V. Yakubov a couple of years ago. I also have some information on Project 1126 which I posted on version 2 of this board and obtained from Breyer's Schlachtshiffe and Schlactkruezer 1921-1997 if you are interested.

Hi
As I am interested to know more about those ships, pleas may you post here or send privately to me what you should be able to share?

kind regards
Carmine
spacer.gif
Smurf
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:25 am Post subject: Soviet CGN'sReply with quote

There is an ld of nuclear powered cruiser Projekt 63 of 1958 in
Stalin's Ocean -going Fleet by Rohwer and Monakov
but it is a smallish longitudinal section and not all that clear.
My scanner never gives good results with a drawing like this.
If MAR can post anything it might well be better.
Two reversed tripod masts at about 25% and 50% from stern.
76mm turrets approx alongside masts, 2 each side
Helicopter well aft on quarterdeck.
flush deck, not much superstructure - a block in front of mainmast to about halfway to foremast. Sharply raked bow, spoon stern
whole drawing about 4 in long with lots of numbered lines pointing to things with no key and confusing the drawing
The caption says
3 launchers for missiles P-40 1 aft the mainmast, two sided (?? I don't see another way to interpret the drawing) before the foremast by about 1/8 the length. If the boat and the 'copter are about 40 ft long, the large missiles in their launchers are about the same and the ship is 600 ft +
2 twin launchers for aa missiles M-3
2 aa missile launchers M-2
8 x 7.6cm (4x2 from drawing)
Credit Sudostroenie

the missile numbers mean little to me as my interests are in earlier ships
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:35 am Post subject: Posting Pics and stuffReply with quote

I'll see if I can figure out the photobucket thing and get what I have for Project 63 up.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it.........................
Rolling Eyes

Shocked
spacer.gif
Jim Anderson
Ensign
Ensign

674985732435d130411181.gif

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:05 am Post subject: Project 63 pics?Reply with quote

(Awakens from deep hibernation...)

proj63-10001.jpeg

proj63-10002.jpeg

Got yer six covered, Michel...

--Jim
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:38 am Post subject: Alrightee then!Reply with quote

Alrightee then! I have statistical information on these two versions plus drawings for a couple more. I'll get the stats up tonight and work on the other two drawings!

Bigger Guns, MORE POWER!

Rolling Eyes
spacer.gif
Caleb
Seaman
Seaman

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:42 am Post subject:Reply with quote

This is another version of project 63 cruiser
nr.php
spacer.gif
Smurf
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:14 pm Post subject: Soviet Nuclear CruisersReply with quote

Mine's not like either of Jim's and so far I can't see Caleb's other than one of those annoying squares! I'll try to scan mine
spacer.gif
Smurf
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:43 pm Post subject: Soviet Nuclear CruisersReply with quote

This is the Stalin's Fleet one, but the original I think with (Russian) captions, and a bit bigger.
I was wrong with at least one of my interpretations. What I thought were P40 are M-3

projekt63USSR.jpeg
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:33 am Post subject: Project 63 stuff.Reply with quote

This post editted April 14th for ship dimensions and other info. Editted on april 29 for dimensions, displacement and errors on P-20 and P-40 corrected.

Thanks, Smurf. This is one of the three other drawings I have for Project 63. Accordin to V. P. Kuzin, this was the final version of Project 63. Regretably, it is one for which I have the least amount of information but I will post what I have.

Based on scale comparision with other drawings, I've come up with the following approximate dimensions for this version;

LOA: 196.0 metres
LWL: 183.2 metres
Beam: 19.8 metres (based on similarLength to beam rations of L-2 and Eh-4
Draught: 6.5 metres to the keel

According to Shirokorad, the final version of Project 63 was to displace approximately 16000 tons (which matches the estimate I came up with) and have a speed of 32 knots, carry two P-20 nuclear tipped strategic land attack cruise missiles and carry 18-24 P-40 cruise missiles for either anti ship or land attack with either nuclear or conventional warheads. Neither missile made it into service.

In this version, P-20 was carried in two fixed deck-mounted container-launchers, one on each side of the forward M-3 SAM launcher. I have to confirm this but I believe P-20 was inertially guided with no other form of terminal guidance so it wasn't something to be used against a moving target and, once launched, it was on it's own. It was to carry a megaton range warhead to make up for navigational inaccuracies.

P-40 would be fired from three retractable trainable launchers with three or four (don't know for sure which) launch tubes each. Each launcher was served by a below deck magazine right behind the launcher which carried one reload for each tube.

Looks like P-40 was going to be a combined inertial-command-active radar homing missile, like P-6/P-35 SS-N-3 Shaddock. It was to use the Tenzor (Scoop Pair) guidance system and there were three such systems on this version of Project 63; Two forward, one aft so it could guide six missiles simultaneously.

For AAW, like most of the big nuclear powered versions of this design, she would carry two M-3 long range SAM batteries, one forward, one aft with 10 V-800 missiles per battery. Each battery had a Fregat fire control radar, one forward, one aft.

As an alternative, M-2bis (SA-N-2 Guideline) with Korvet radars (Fan Song E) in the same positions with the same number of missiles.

Short-medium range SAM coverage was to be provided by two M-1 Volna batteries (SA-N-1 Goa) with each battery composed of one Yatagan fire control radar (Peel Group) and two ZIF-101 launchers with sixteen missiles per launcher.

Guns were four AK-726 76-mm mounts, two port and two starboard with each pair likely to be controlled by a Turel GFCS (Owl Screech), one port, one starboard. Ammunition carried would likely equal about 5000 rounds total.

Radars; Looks like two MR-300 Angara (Head Net A) radars at the mastheads, a Taifun long range airsearch radar (no specifics on this but it looks like bigger versions MR-500 Kliver (Big Net) placed back to back) and two Razliv (High Lune) Height finders. Obviously there would be navigation radars (probably Don's) and other stuff.

The EW outfit specified for other big ship versions of Project 63 was four Krab Jammers (Top Hat) and Four Bizan (Watch Dog/Guard Dog) systems but, by the time the ship might have come into service, I think it likely that the next generation of systems, Gurzuf (Side Globe), might be available. Considering the very high value this ship would have had, I believe that Gurzuf would have been installed or backfitted. This would probably require changes in the masts to the enclosed pyramid towers seen on the Kresta 1 of Kynda classes.

Sonars: All the big versions I have info for were to carry two GAS-372 Gerkules sonars. I think it likely would have changed to the MG-312 Titan-1 and MG-311 Vychegda sonars due to likely delays in getting the ship and all of its systems online, allowing these to be substituted.

All of the big designs I have information for had armour protection to a level equal to or better than the heavy cruisers of the World War Two era. Regretably, I have no specifics for the armour protection for this version but it is likely to have been armoured to a similar level.

And finally, the key for the drawing from Smurf.

1. P-40 launcher
2. P-40 magazine
3. SM-68 (I think) launcher for M-3 system
4. missile magazine for M-3
5. Fregat radar for M-3
6. Tenzor radar system for P-40
7. Razliv heightfinder radar
8. Taifun Air surveillance radar
9. Turel GFCS radar
10. Yatagan Fire Control radars for M-1 system
11. P-20 container-launcher
12. RBU-2500 mount. there were two side by side.

That's it for now.

More to follow, like it or not!
Twisted Evil

Last edited by M. A. Rozon on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:17 am; edited 4 times in total
spacer.gif
MJBurmaster
Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:18 pm Post subject: Superstructure designReply with quote

the ship design is from the operator's point of view, "odd" as there is little provision for effective ship manning. The near-Fisherite reduction of superstructure for reasons of CBN containment, no doubt, is extreme. Indeed, one would think that the ship was of the "one mission" type, since operator concerns are firmly seconded to weapon employment.

Yet the size of the ship tells one that she is not an "expendable."

So - what is missing in this equation, you SovNavy experts?
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:15 pm Post subject: One consideration might be...Reply with quote

MJB, one consideration might be that these designs took one tendency to an extreme.

At this point, Soviet design was moving what in western parlance is called the Combat Information Centre, Combat Direction Centre or Operations Room down to the Lower deck within the hull, specifically for reasons of NBC and general combat survivability. The ship could be conned and fought completely from this position. A greatly simplified Navigation Bridge on the upper deck was in place for pilotage and close quarter's maneuvering situations. An example of this can be seen in Project 61, the Kashin Class DDG's. However, because the Kashin is much smaller, the impression is less extreme. The versions we've seen here of Project 63 are all monster ships. As such a similar sized navigating bridge looks like a postage stamp by comparison.

I am of the opinion that the navigating bridge on the Project 63 ships pictured here would located in the same position as that of Project 61: in the pylon superstructure directly under the forward Fregat Missile fire control radar. All things considered, I thing there would have been some changes made to the bridge structure as soon a trials were finished, making it bigger and adding bridge wings for visibility.

There is certainly an emphasis on strategic nuclear attack using cruise missiles in these designs. I expect that this would have changed as it did for all of the platforms, surface and subsurface, that carried the P-6/P-35/SS-N-3 missiles. These ships would have become AAW/AsuW oriented and task force flagships to boot. P-20 would have been landed and the space and weight used for other, more productive things.

Hopefully I answered the right question.

Cool

Last edited by M. A. Rozon on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:09 am; edited 2 times in total
spacer.gif
Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First
All times are GMT + 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Page 1 of 4
Quick Reply
Subject
Message body

Font colour: Default Dark Red Red Orange Brown Yellow Green Olive Cyan Blue Dark Blue Indigo Violet White Black Font size: Tiny Small Normal Large Huge
Options
HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Disable HTML in this post
Disable BBCode in this post
Disable Smilies in this post
Notify me when a reply is posted
Jump to: Select a forum General Board----------------News, announcements Never-were warships----------------United States NavyRoyal NavyNihon KaigunMarine NationaleRegia MarinaDeutsche KriegsmarineDeutsche HochseeflotteRussian/Soviet NaviesOther, smaller navies Other never-were related forums----------------Never-were modelsNever-were sources,books,websitesNever-were fleet tactics, concepts etc. Non-never were but ship related forums----------------Real ships Own Designs----------------Own designs
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum​

Warship Projects Discussion Boards 3_0 View topic - Soviet Nuclear Cruisers_2
Warship Projects Discussion Boards 3.0 Forum Index Warship Projects Discussion Boards 3.0
Never-were warships of the XXth century

AuthorMessage
View previous topic :: View next topic
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:04 pm Post subject: And Now........................Reply with quote

Editted for further information April 14th.

And Now, here are the vital statistics for the drawings that Jim Anderson posted, starting with the upper one.

Many thanks to V. Yakubov who sharted this with me a few years ago.

This version was designated L2. As you can see, this ship is a monster:

Standard Displacement - 20,540 tons
Length - 225 metres
Beam - 22.8 metres
Draft - 8 metres

Power Plant - 132000 horsepower nuclear plant with four (maybe eight?) reactors supplying 2 turbines of 55,000 horsepower each (don't know why there is the disparity)
Speed - 32.5 knots

Armour - Massive! This is not much explanation given in the tables and without cross sections difficult to figure out for sure so here is my best shot. Any errors are strictly mine:

Bulkheads

Transverse armoured - 30 - 80 mm
Longitudinal - 14-20

Belt - 140 mm, increasing to 150 mm over reactor spaces

Deck - several decks with armour grade steels with thicknesses varying from 20 to 80 mm increasing to 150 mm over the reactor spaces. There was also armour running near the bottom of the ship varying from 95mm to 100 mm, the heavier thivknesses under the reactor spaces.

Armament

2 x P-20 strategic cruise missiles in containers on the quarterdeck. These were to be run out onto trainable launchers for firing.

3 x twin tube missile launchers for P-6 anti-ship missiles, two forward and one aft. These were retractable and trainable. These likely would have had below deck magazines behind each launcher with 1-2 reloads per tube.

The table says the P-6 missile was to be used. I think this is an error. The P-6 was used as the antiship weapon for the submarine based versions of the SS-N-3 system whereas the P-35 missiles was used by surface ships (Kynda's and Kresta 1's). There are some differences and I think the P-35 would have been used.

2 x SM-68 twin launchers for the M-3 system, one forward and one aft with 10 missiles per launcher. Control provided by 2 Fregat radars, one forward and one aft.

Again, M-2bis is an alternative with the same number of the associated launchers, missiles and radars in hte same positions.

4 x Zif-101 launchers for M-1 Volna (SA-N-1 Goa), two port and two starboard, each launcher with 16 missiles. Control provided by two Yatagan (Peel Group) radars, one port and one starboard.

4 x AK726 twin 76-mm mounts, two port and two starboard on the four corners of the ship, controlled by two Turel (Owl Screech) GFC radars, one port and one starboard on the big tower mast between the forward pole and after tripod masts. Ammunition load unknown but can be expected to be at least 5000 rounds aboard the ship.

ASW - 2 x RBU-2500, side by side on the bow. Probably ammunition carried for four full salvoes, a loadout common to most ships equipped with this weapon.

No helicopter and no position to place a pad to service aircraft from other ships, hence no fuel or stores embarked for one.

Radars

2 x Taifun, mounted back-to-back at the top of the tower mast, the tallest on the ship.

2 x MR-300 Angara (Head Net A) on the forward pole and after tripod masts.

2 x Razliv (High Lune) heightfinder radars either side of the after tripod mast.

3 x Tenzor radars (Scoop Pair) for controlling the P-6 missiles, two forward on the pole mast and one aft on the tripod.

EW

4 x Krab (Top Hat)
4 x Bizan (Watch Dog)

Navigation radars

at least two Don

IFF

2 x Nickel-Khrom systems

Heat detectors

1 x Zorkii

I am assuming this a passive IR system aimed at detecting ships. This was a common planned fitting for many Soviet surface ships of this period but which was apparently not successful. I'm looking for more info about this.

Other systems

Bug
Burevestnik
Grusha

As soon as I know what these are, I'll edit this post!

TV systems

7 x Kuznechik. as soon as I know which NATO code applies, I'll post it.

Sonars

2 x GAS-372 Gerkules.

The comments that I made in the previous two posts apply equally here.

I'll post the info for the other version later today or tomorrow.

As always, questions and comments are welcome.

Cool

Last edited by M. A. Rozon on Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:53 am; edited 8 times in total
spacer.gif
MJBurmaster
Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:04 pm Post subject: You answered correctly!Reply with quote

although I'm of the school that looks at design also as indicative of several "mission statements" and a ship which basically operates as a dedicated strategic platform would have a low survival rate in any event (being such a high priority target) that one suspects less emphasis on the long-term qualities such as adequate conning
Laughing

What throws me off on the CIC is the apparent lack of an armoured tube. I trust the schematic simply doesn't reflect armour thicknesses.

Also, I'm looking for periscopes since good old reliable soviet engineering wouldn't trust completely to some television system.

As for the "guess" on conning location, the only place is forwward of the missile launcher but what with that bow flare, much like some 90 year old driving one of the long hood Cadillacs of the 1950s!
spacer.gif
Smurf
Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:21 pm Post subject: soviet nuclear cruisersReply with quote

Quote:
13200 horsepower nuclear plant supplying 2 turbines of 55,000 horsepower each (don't know why there is the disparity)
Suggest it's just a 0 lost and the balance 22000 hp for systems, generators, just plain losses
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:03 pm Post subject: I had finger trouble!Reply with quote

It should have read 132 000 horsepower. Finger trouble !
Shocked

The above post has been amended.
Rolling Eyes

Cool
spacer.gif
Hood
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:39 pm Post subject:Reply with quote

Here are some of the technical points/questions I've disscussed with Michel.

PROJECT 1126
1) I estimate the V-800 is about 8-9m long comparing it to the Ka-25, this is still a big missile, it is one of the aerodynamically cleanest SAMs of the period suggesting a Mach 3 capability. When the V-800 was abandoned the SA-4 Ganef would have made sense given that most naval SAMs were modified army missiles.
2) Possible future weapons either on completion or refit, replacing two 57mm mounts with SA-N-4 would have been a good move. The TT could have been internal quintuple like Moskva, but on the plan I can see no good place to fit them in the hull. This would later allow for SS-N-15 and give these ships a dual-role. On SSMs there is ample room abreast the forward superstructure for four P-15 or even SS-N-3 Shaddock (two twins) like Kreasta I.
3) These would have been good Anti-Aircraft escorts and with suitable A/S and Anti-Ship capability would have good multi-role escorts without Western equal. Just using them to escort the Moskva Class or ASW groups seems a waste, certainly their fates were linked to the supercarrier programme.

PROJECT 63
1) Eh-4: I’m assuming that the quarterdeck structure is a hangar. I’d go for internal quintuple 21in tubes. Overall a well-balanced design with masses of radars and missile systems. Where are the P-20 on this design, there seems to be no room for them?
2) I-L2: Again I’m speculating on hull torpedo tubes. The two P-20 takes up a lot of space, if they are for attacking land targets that makes these ships strategic, but I’m sure American SAMs would down those large missiles. Deploying them would take a long time.
3) Shirokorad Drawing 3: My favourite design, clearly this is a version of the Eh-4/ I-L-2 designs. The retractable P-40 seems to complicate the launchers but does improve reload times. The P-20 on here too, the outline suggests a neater container launcher rather than retracting the missile and then firing like the I-L2.
These are very powerful ships suitable for a blue water navy but the advances in technology made the Kirov with VLS a better proposition with a better all-round capability.
These are just thoughts/ specualtions from examining the drawings. I was puzzled too above the bridge but Michel's solution seems the most logical.
Seaman
Seaman

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:30 pm Post subject:Reply with quote

Hi guys

Unfortunately, I lost the reference for the following text, but maybe it is worth to post it here

In the following program of military shipbuilding for 1959-1965, prepared with participation of new Commander-in-chief S.G. Gorshkov, was made the next attempt to provide air defence protection without aircraft carriers. In connection with change of TsKB-16 specializations, designing of the new missile air defence (pr. 1126) was charged back to TsKB-17 which V.V. Ashik supervised till leaving in 1960 for scientific-teaching work in Leningrad Shipbiuilding Institute.
The decree of 25 July 1959 determined the basic characteristics of this ship and its armament which was to be based around the M-31 air-defence missile complex. Application in a complex of rocket KS-42 created on base 3M8 with the minimal completions for accommodation by the ships was provided. Rocket KS-42 with launch weight of 3.200-3.500 kg and length 9-11 m should amaze air targets in radius of 50-60 kms from the launcher in a range of heights of 1-25 kms. For start of rockets by the ships it was supposed to place dvuhbalochnye launching sites of SM-92, for a loading of launching sites and storages of rockets in the filled condition with the combined wings in cellars were projected conveyor installations on 8 and 10 rockets. It was supposed to use modified a command radio station and antennyj a post of a complex 2K11. The 10.000 t ship should carry one ZRK M-31 with two launching sites, and also a M-11 complex.
However, in 1960 the number of the planned ships was reduced from three to two.
Work on pr. 1126 was stopped by the Decree N° 565-236 of 21 June 1961.

now, a machine translation from
pvo.guns.ru/naval/m31_s75.htm

In second studied variant of the M-31 complex it was supposed rockets V-757 (V-757M), still known under a designation 17D. This variant of a complex was supposed to be placed to the ships of the project 61Á which designing conducted OKB-53. Range of defeat of air targets should make 50 (45) km. Rockets V-757 had the mid-flight solid-fuel engine, that it should essential to simplify operation of rockets by the ships. The length of a rocket made 6,5 m, launch weight 2.800 kg.
The launching site of SM-98A with the feeder and storages of rockets was developed in OKB-34 and ÖÍÈÈ-173. The control system of a complex was similar to a control system Grom. Works on this variant also were stopped in 1961.

and here something to be translated about the M-3 system (V-800 missile)

pvo.guns.ru/naval/m3.htm

regards
Carmine
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:41 pm Post subject: COOL!Reply with quote

More stuff about Project 1126. COOL!

As soon as I finish posting what I have on Project 63, I'll post what I have on Project 1126.

And I just took a look at the rest of the PVO site that you refered to, Ender. There is a whole pile of stuff, including line drawings and info on several other ships and missiles. Great!
Shocked

This should answer some questions and raise some more!
Rolling Eyes

Thank you!!!

Bigger Guns, MORE POWER!
Cool
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:43 am Post subject: Another Version o Project 63Reply with quote

Editted April 14th for more info and to correct some typographic errors.

This is the lower drawing from Jim Andersions post above. Here are the specifics as I understand them. Again, thanks to V. Yakubov for the info;

This version was designated Eh-4 As you can see, this ship is another monster:

Standard Displacement - 19,830
Length - 225 metres
Beam - 22.5 metres
Draft - 7.84 metres

Power Plant - 120000 horsepower nuclear plant supplying four turbines of 30,000 horsepower each.

Speed - 32.5 knots

Armour - Massive! A much simpler arrangement than L2 but still massive. Still no cross sections so this is still best guess. Any errors are strictly mine:

Bulkheads

No Armoured bulkheads listed in table

Belt - 75 mm, increasing to 200 mm over reactor spaces

Deck - Upper armoured deck of 20 mm increasing to 150 mm over the reactor spaces. There was also armour running near the bottom of the ship varying from 75mm to 100 mm increasing to the upper value under the reactor spaces.

Armament

2 x P-20 strategic cruise missiles. However, I have no idea where they are as they are not obvious on the drawing.

2 x quad SM-76 trainable missile launchers for P-40 anti-ship missiles, one forward and one aft. There are no obvious hatches or positions to run up reloads in the drawing although the possibility can't be ruled out.

2 x SM-68 twin launchers for the M-3 system, one forward and one aft with 10 missiles per launcher. Control provided by 2 Fregat radars, one forward and one aft.

As noted previously, M-2bis is an alternative weapon.

4 x Zif-101 launchers for M-1 Volna (SA-N-1 Goa), two port and two starboard, each launcher with 16 missiles. Control provided by two Yatagan (Peel Group) radars, one port and one starboard either side of the big tower mast in the middle.

4 x AK726 twin 76-mm mounts, two port and two starboard either side of the after tripod mast, controlled by two Turel (Owl Screech) GFC radars, one port and one starboard on their own pylons aft of the Yatagan radars. Ammunition load unknown but can be expected to be at least 5000 rounds aboard the ship.

ASW - 2 x RBU-2500, side by side on the bow. Probably ammunition carried for four full salvoes, a loadout common to most ships equipped with this weapon.

Two helicopters with the pad on top of the hangar on the stern. Several tonnes of fuel, torpedoes, depth charges, sonobouys and other expendable stores.

Radars

1 x Taifun although the information table I have says two, mounted at the top of the tower mast, the tallest on the ship.

2 x MR-300 Angara (Head Net A) at the mastheads of the forward and after tripod masts.

2 x Razliv (High Lune) heightfinder radars, not shown explicitely on the drawing but the obvious position is either side of the after tripod mast where the small dotted rectangle is shown, marking an antenna position.

4 x Tenzor radars (Scoop Pair) for controlling the P-40 missiles, two each on the tripod masts.

EW

4 x Krab (Top Hat)
4 x Bizan (Watch Dog)

Navigation radars

at least two Don

IFF

2 x Nickel-Khrom systems

Heat detectors

1 x Zorkii

Other systems

Bug
Burevestnik
Grusha

TV systems

Sonars

2 x GAS-372 Gerkules.

The comments that I made in the previous posts apply equally here.

I have one more big and one more small version of this Project yet to come.

In addition, I've made a couple more edits to the post for Version L2

Enjoy.

Cool

Last edited by M. A. Rozon on Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
spacer.gif
ender
Seaman
Seaman

Post Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:04 am Post subject:Reply with quote

some info about the P-20

Ilyushin's P-20
3 x 30 m body, designed to fly at 30 km at Mach 2.5-3 to a range of 3.500 km range, 30 t in a 4.6 x 25 m canister.

According to Polmar's Cold War Submarine: "The P-20 was to be a land-attack weapon that could carry a nuclear warhead against targets 3.500 km from the launching ship. The missile was to attain a maximum speed of Mach 3 and was to fly the last portion of its trajectory at low altitude and zigzag."

more info in russian

http://testpilot.ru/russia/ilushin/p/p20.htm
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:06 am Post subject: Just an add on........Reply with quote

Just an add on comment to MJB's words about television systems, I agree. Ship designs from this period, Project 61 (Kashin) being an example, have periscopes from the GKP/CIC/CDS/Ops room and the cruisers we've talked about would be no exception.

As for the lack of an armoured tube in Project 63, good question. Don't know the answer to that one. Food for thought.
Shocked

Cool
spacer.gif
1Big Rich
Commander
Commander

76778120642be0155186be.gif

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:00 am Post subject: Project 63Reply with quote

Project 63, couresty M. A. Rozon:

Project63drawingspage2.jpeg

Captain
Captain

Post Posted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:57 pm Post subject: Nuclear cruisersReply with quote

Thanks MAR.
I think this post is a really good co-operative effort to get to a complete picture. Thanks to all.
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:00 am Post subject: And Now, More stuff!Reply with quote

Editted 22 April for artillery information, 29 April for displacement and torpedo armament.

And now, here is more information for more versions of Project 63.

Thank you Big Rich for posting the drawings. Thanks again to V. Yakubov for passing them on to me in the first place.

I don't have hard stats for these two so I am making some educated guesses after doing some scaling and other measurements. Any errors are my responsibility. Hopefully I am in the ballpark.

This top version was designated XN. It was one of the conventionally powered versions investigated. While not a monster, it was still quite large;

Standard Displacement - I estimate approximately 10 000 tons.

Length - 179 metres
Beam - 19 metres
Draft - 5 metres to the keel, 7.2 metres to the bottom of the sonar dome in the lowered position.

Power Plant - Oil-fired pressure-fired steam plant based on the KV-41 plant trialed in Project 41 destroyer (NATO ASCC Tallin). Steam conditions 470 degrees C at approximately 64 kg/cm2. Power unknown but at least in the 100,000 horsepower range. The two shaft plant would likely be arranged in two units with two boilers and one double-reduction geared turbine each. The forward unit has it's uptake in the aft portion of the forward superstructure and the after unit uptake in the aft portion of the superstructure topped by a Fregat/Korvet missile fire control radar just aft of the tripod mast .

Speed - approximately 32 knots

Armour - No specifics but this ship is large enough for light cruiser level protection for boilers and turbines.

Armament

4 x twin two level fixed container launchers, two port and two starboard, for P-35 or P-40 anti-ship missiles. Eight missiles are in the upper levels ready for use. They would be elevated to a launch angle of about 20 degrees before firing. Eight reloads in the lower tier.

An alternative would be the M-2bis system (SA-N-2 Guideline) with the Korvet (Fan Song E) radars in the same positions with the same number of missiles.

Guns are a little different than in the versions previously discussed. The turrets in this drawing are much larger that of the AK-726. The only alternatives I can think of are:

4 x SM-52 (100-mm) or SM-62 (130-mm) twin mounts, two forward and two aft, controlled by two Turel (Owl Screech) GFC radars, one on the forward superstructure and one on the aft face of the tripod mast. Ammunition load likely to be at least 400 rounds per gun.

The SM-52 and SM-62 had both completed development and were ready for service entry on the last batch of Project 68bis cruisers (SM-52) and Project 56 destroyers (SM-62). With their higher training and elevation rates, rates of fire (40 RPMPG) and being fully enclosed, they addressed what the Soviet Navy perceived were the deficiencies in the previous SM-2 (130-mm) and SM-5 (100-mm) mounts. Unfortunately, Khruschev cancelled the ships they would have been deployed on and they never went to sea.

ASW - 2 x RBU-2500, side by side on the quarterdeck. Probably ammunition carried for four full salvoes, a loadout common to most ships equipped with this weapon.

2 x triple 533-mm torpedo tube mounts on the weather deck, one port and one starboard, just ahead of the forward superstructure. Likely no reloads carried with the ship laid out the way she is.

No helicopter and no position to place a pad to service aircraft from other ships because of the presence of the RBU's on the stern, hence no fuel or stores embarked for one.

Radars

1 x MR-300 Angara (Head Net A) at the masthead of the tripod mast. As this seems to be the only Air Search radar and unsupported as it is by any heightfinder radars, I expect it would be replaced by Angara-A (Head Net C) as soon as it became available.

2 x Tenzor radars (Scoop Pair) for controlling the P-35/P-40 missiles on the forward face of the tripod. This is problematic as there appears to be four antennas that look like half of a Tenzor radar. I believe they represent the equivalent of two Tenzor systems. That means they can control four missiles simultaneously.

EW

2-4 x Krab (Top Hat)
2-4 x Bizan (Watch Dog)

Navigation radars

at least two "Don"

IFF

2 x Nickel-Khrom systems

Heat detectors

1 x Zorkii

Other systems

Bug
Burevestnik
Grusha

As soon as I know what these are, I'll edit this post!

TV systems

4-7 x Kuznechik. as soon as I know which NATO code applies, I'll post it.

Sonars

2 x GAS-372 Gerkules.

The comments I've made in the previous two posts apply equally here.

This version has no short-medium range SAM's, fewer electronics and fewer systems enclosed within the hull. Although she is large and has heavier artillery, she is definitely on the lower end of the design spectrum for Project 63.

Next post will be for Version VIII and this one is truly a monster!
Shocked

Cool

Last edited by M. A. Rozon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:49 am; edited 6 times in total
spacer.gif
MJBurmaster
Commodore
Commodore

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:27 pm Post subject: Operators ViewReply with quote

the "conventional" version with all of that topweight - now THAT'S scary, children!
Laughing

Honestly, something does apperar remiss what with the weaponry and towering mast. I have to suspect that the weapons systems would have been reduced in design, if not then, once the ships took to the seas.
spacer.gif
M. A. Rozon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:07 am Post subject: And Now for Version VIIIReply with quote

Editted April 22 for artillery information, 29 April for displacement.

VERSION VIII - Truly a MONSTER of a ship!

This version is the lower of the two in the drawing above. Thanks again to Big Rich and V. Yakubov.

Again, I don't have hard stats on this ship. The drawing also was a little confusing in that many of the Radar antennas don't seem to be the right shapes. I am, therefore, once again making what I hope are educated guesses on just about everything.

Here goes;

Standard Displacement - I estimate approximately 24 000 tons, which seems to agree with Smurf's estimate below.

Length - 250 metres
Beam - 26.4 metres
Draft - 6.7 metres to the keel, 8.4 metres to the base of the lowered sonar dome.

Power Plant - 120000+ horsepower nuclear plant with four - eight reactors supplying four turbines of 30,000+ horsepower each
Speed - approximately 32 knots

Armour - Massive! No specifics but this ship should be armoured to a level at least equal to that of L-2 or Eh-4.

Armament

3 x quintuple trainable launchers that appear to be fixed in elevation for P-40 or P-35 anti-ship missiles, two mounts forward, one aft. These batteries are supported by below-decks magazines carrying possibly up to another 15 missiles as reloads. Two cranes are situated on deck in the vicinity of the magazine lifts bringing reloads to the upper deck. These cranes assist reloading the launchers as well as striking down missiles into the magazine. This arrangement simplifies things greatly but makes reloading a very long evolution.

4 x Zif-101 launchers for M-1 Volna (SA-N-1 Goa), two port and two starboard in the four corners of the ship, each launcher with 16 missiles. Control provided by two Yatagan (Peel Group) radars, one forward on top of the forward superstructure (2nd from the forward edge of that structure) and one just aft of the trailing legs of the after tripod mast.

Bearing in mind the greater size of the ship, I think the Zif-102 is a better option, using a belt conveyor system providing 32 missiles per launcher. Replacing one of the Owl Screech systems (The forward most one) with another Yatagan director for M-1 is, in my opinion, a preferred alternative.

6 x SM-52 (100-mm) or SM-62 (130-mm) twin mounts, three port and three starboard amidships, controlled by Three Turel (Owl Screech) GFC radars, one forward on the forward superstructure (most forward antenna on top of the forward superstructure) and one each port and starboard amidships. Ammunition load unknown but can be expected to be at least 400 rounds per gun. The reasons for these choices are the same as for version XN above.

2-4 helicopters with the pad on the quarterdeck. The hanger is below decks with an elevator serving the flight deck on the stern. Several tonnes of fuel, torpedoes, depth charges, sonobouys and other expendable stores.

Radars

2 x MR-300 Angara (Head Net A) at the mastheads of the forward and after tripod masts. As there are no heightfinders serving them, I expect that these radars would have been replaced by the MR310- Angara- A (Head Net C) as soon as they were available.

3 x Tenzor radars (Scoop Pair) for controlling the P-35/P-40 missiles, two on the forward tripod, one on the after.

Here, the same problem that occured with version XN cropped up again. I have been somewhat conservative here. Three Scoop Pair allow six missiles in the air simultaneously. If each of what I suspect is half a Scoop Pair is actually a complete guidance system, then there is potentially the equivalent of SEVEN Scoop Pair systems, allowing the ship to fire all but one of its launchers in one salvo.

EW

4 x Krab (Top Hat)
4 x Bizan (Watch Dog)

Navigation radars

at least two Don

IFF

2 x Nickel-Khrom systems

Heat detectors

1 x Zorkii

Other systems

Bug
Burevestnik
Grusha

TV systems

Sonars

2 x GAS-372 Gerkules.

The comments that I made in the previous posts apply equally here.

No long range air defence SAM's but reasonable short-medium range AA coverage and the largest surface-to-surface missile battery by far of all the versions we've seen. The presence of helicopters guarantees over the horizon targetting ability. I think the absence of a really long range air search radar (as Taifun seems to have been intended to be) is a shortcoming in a ship this size which has obvious potential to become a fleet or task force command platform.

I'll be adding to all of the Project 63 posts with stats as I do some more reading and number crunching to fill in some of the holes.

Comments ?
Rolling Eyes

Questions?
Shocked

Last edited by M. A. Rozon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:52 am; edited 5 times in total
spacer.gif
Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First