1.3 MB · Views: 286
  • S-67-7.jpg
    S-67-7.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 340
  • S-67-6.jpg
    S-67-6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 330
Indeed, Thanks to all for sharing photos of my first love of helicopters

it's all right, this internet translator translated my words incorrectly.

Hi,

I found this report about S-67 with fan in tail,with a 3-view to it,who can collect the pieces ?.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a013407.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 2.png
    2.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 286
The greatest helicopter ever built, so far. A counter rotoating w/ duct pusher and it would be perfect.

Sikorsky did investigate the fenstron tail rotor (post #84,#86), however I do not recall if they actually flew the modification. Regardless they never went forward with the idea toward production as their primary target customer was very conservative with what made a "proper" helicopter. In fact, I would venture a guess that it was tested after it was clear that Sikorsky was not going to sell S-67. Anyone know if it actually flew?

Sikorsky did investigate the fenstron tail rotor (post #84,#86), however I do not recall if they actually flew the modification. Regardless they never went forward with the idea toward production as their primary target customer was very conservative with what made a "proper" helicopter. In fact, I would venture a guess that it was tested after it was clear that Sikorsky was not going to sell S-67. Anyone know if it actually flew?
Post 82 is a photo of it hovering. Post 83 links to a very short youtube vid of it in flight.

Thanks Sferrin, I had not seen that video in a long time. That was the first helicopter I wanted to fly. Given the success of the Mi-24 around the world I can only wonder at how well the S-67 would have done. As to the troops, like the Mi-24 there is a troop door near the windows in back, on the starboard side I believe. Sikorsky never really promoted the point as the US Army at that point was very much focused on the anti-tank mission for helicopters.

I have heard that the Israeli's were considering the aircraft until it crashed and the economics of a start up came to roost. Any one know if that was true?
It was headed to Israel after the show in Cranfield England. I worked for Sikorskyat the time.

Article by Vertical Mag:
https://verticalmag.com/features/the-original-blackhawk-the-sikorsky-s-67/

"...During 1974, Sikorsky received a contract from the Eustis Directorate, Army Air Mobility Research and Development Laboratory in Fort Eustis, Virginia, to replace the tail rotor with a modified fan-in-fin concept, manufactured by Hamilton-Standard Company. Installation of the variable pitch, ducted, directional control fan was expected to result in greater reliability, with reduced maintenance. Flight tests included a dive of 230 mph (370 km/h), but after they were completed, the modified tail rotor was changed back to the conventional tail rotor..."

Article by Vertical Mag:

"...During 1974, Sikorsky received a contract from the Eustis Directorate, Army Air Mobility Research and Development Laboratory in Fort Eustis, Virginia, to replace the tail rotor with a modified fan-in-fin concept, manufactured by Hamilton-Standard Company. Installation of the variable pitch, ducted, directional control fan was expected to result in greater reliability, with reduced maintenance. Flight tests included a dive of 230 mph (370 km/h), but after they were completed, the modified tail rotor was changed back to the conventional tail rotor..."
That is accurate. The fenestron was a French concept and did end up on a Aerospatiale Production helicopter. The S-67 was returned to its conventional configuration which it was in when it crashed.

Article by Vertical Mag:

That is accurate. The fenestron was a French concept and did end up on a Aerospatiale Production helicopter. The S-67 was returned to its conventional configuration which it was in when it crashed.

The concept of the fenestron was actually first patented by a Scottish Firm G & J Weir, see below:

Article by Vertical Mag:

The concept of the fenestron was actually first patented by a Scottish Firm G & J Weir, see below:

Thank you for the correction. I knew its first production use was in France. The article confirms that:”It was first developed for use on an operational rotorcraft by the French company Sud Aviation (now part of Airbus Helicopters), being first adopted upon the Aérospatiale Gazelle.” I saw it fly on the S-67.

mil said:
who knows why the operations undertaken S-67 in Greece

Judging the linked page, it was a demonstration tour during in Megara/Greece in 1971 to 72, using the S-67
N671SA, that later crashed in September 1974 in Farnborough.
The day of the visit at LGMG (Megara AB of Hellenic Army Aviation) was the 9th November 1972

From the comments section of the article below:
Ronald D Audettesays:
October 31, 2020 at 3:49 pm
I was a “test and development technician” at the Stratford plant in the early 1970’s and worked on the blades, rotor, shaft and transmission development for this helicopter. Just wanted to add one important design it incorporated. “Stealth”. When it flew by all of us on the tarmac at the plant it demonstrated it’s ability to get on target without being heard until it was already passing by. The sound was several seconds behind the helicopter which made it able to “hit and run” before the enemy could target it. I was quite impressed and proud of being part of it’s performance as it did hold the world record many years for speed at various configurations, straight, dive, etc.