1991vdtrscat.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 515
  • 1991shroudrotorscat.jpg
    1991shroudrotorscat.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 512
Re: 1991 Sikorsky high-speed rotorcraft studies

VDTR - variable diameter tilt-rotor

Ahhhh! Looking at the picture that makes a helluva lot more sense! Thanks! Was the VDTR concept a proprietary Sikorsky concept?

A lot of info and more designs from Sikorsky and Bell are in APR volume 5 no 5, pg. 30 - 37. They are from NASA papers.

Matej said:
A lot of info and more designs from Sikorsky and Bell are in APR volume 5 no 5, pg. 30 - 37. They are from NASA papers.

Matej, What is APR? I would certainly like to read up on these efforts.

http://www.up-ship.com/

V5N5 is still available.

overscan said:
http://www.up-ship.com/

V5N5 is still available.

Thanks for the information!

Attachments

• Sikorsky 7.JPG
    Sikorsky 7.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Sikorsky 6.JPG
    Sikorsky 6.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Sikorsky 5.JPG
    Sikorsky 5.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Sikorsky 4.JPG
    Sikorsky 4.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 55
  • Sikorsky 3.JPG
    Sikorsky 3.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Sikorsky 2.JPG
    Sikorsky 2.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 83
  • Sikorsky 1.JPG
    Sikorsky 1.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 230

Jemiba said:
To my opinion, that's not a real project, but (as it is called in the paper) just a rotorcraft drag model,
used to test different configurations on the same basis. The addition of the mounting strut is
another evidence. Nevertheless an interesting paper ! ;)

I have to disagree with this statement. This very much looks to me like a project, though it may only be an effort that did not go very far. If this was just a standard reference model, they would have used a fuselage that was nondescript. Frequently models of this type do not have empanage surfaces. This mode has a novel empenage, windows are defined, and it is given an estimated weight class. The fact that the model is mounted on a strut is inconsequential, and in fact common for mounting a force model. I imagine the reason that this was not mounted on a sting is because the sting would have interfered with the empanage flow in a way that would negate the inverted v tail. I think that the real question is not if it is a project, but if it was ever intended a serious study for a production vehicle.

Adam

It appears with the Sikorsky HEX investigations beginning, they are once again looking at Tilt-wing with some level of seriousness.

It appears with the Sikorsky HEX investigations beginning, they are once again looking at Tilt-wing with some level of seriousness.
Well, after the ABC concept got rejected for vibration reasons (and I assume the person whose pet project was ABC finally retired), there's really only one way to go fast and take off vertically.