Shenyang FC-31 prototype to J-XY / J-35 naval fighter

WHU3Ab2.jpg

Allegedly a second J-35 prototype numbered '350003' has been spotted. Even if this is only a rough sketch, the image it is based on is allegedly real.

(Image via @塔什蒙贡星系 from Weibo)

1658401763864.png

Lovely little fighter. The nozzles are a first for me and quite interesting as you can see the pedigree still. I wonder if Russians might try something similar or offer something similar on their rd-93ma turbofan.

That really cements the fact that this bird is now officially called J-35 I guess?

Same thoughts here Maro.Kyo. Now all we need is an official name for the J-35.
For that we'll need to go through the list of "which mythic creatrues we still have in the list that has not been used on Chinese aircraft" I guess

Attachments

• 1658689686808.png
    1658689686808.png
    2 MB · Views: 84
is that an IFR probe near the radome on the bottom pic?

If you are talking about the probe that looks like it is coming directly out of the radome that really looks like a flight testing probe not going to be seen in any production version (and definitely not a IFR probe, which would interfere with the radar, bad place for the necessary plumbing, etc.).

If you are talking about the probe that looks like it is coming directly out of the radome that really looks like a flight testing probe not going to be seen in any production version (and definitely not a IFR probe, which would interfere with the radar, bad place for the necessary plumbing, etc.).

Fighterjock and I are referring to this
98BE36E5-76E7-456D-9822-640E091B6AC5.jpeg

^ the pitot tube on the prototype is still there, may. not be as noticeable because its blends in nicely where the runway and grass meet, but its there.

the only real difference I see is the turkey feathers being serrated, the landing gear being updated for carrier ops, and some sensor bump behind the canopy.

^ the pitot tube on the prototype is still there, may. not be as noticeable because its blends in nicely where the runway and grass meet, but its there.

the only real difference I see is the turkey feathers being serrated, the landing gear being updated for carrier ops, and some sensor bump behind the canopy.

The engine on J-35 has been changed to WS-13E (or WS-21). Although the engine technically has RD-33 ancestry there has been significant modifications to the compressor (different number of fan blades) and even the core of the engine. As per information disclosed via a recent PPT infographics it can generate over 9000 kgf.

Allegedly a new - maybe third - prototype ... (posted by @立马投投花 from Weibo)

1695796441332.png
1695796461212.png

A third prototype flying Deino? How many prototypes will Shenyang be building before they start working on the production fighters?

A third prototype flying Deino? How many prototypes will Shenyang be building before they start working on the production fighters?

Actually the third known if this rumour is correct, however I won't be surprised if there are already more out ... and for everything else I actually don't know, but my feelings tell me they need even more than for the J-20 program, where CAC had altogether 2 demonstrators & 6 true prototypes. So if we try to compare both programs and equal the J-20 demonstrators 2001 & 2002 to the FC-31 demonstrators 31001 & 31003 and consequently the first true prototype no. 2011 first flown in March 2014 with the first J-35 demonstrator no. 350001, then all subsequent prototypes are maybe a useful way to compare both programs ... even if in the end it will only show, both programs running on different schedules:

J-20:
no. 2011 - March 2014
no. 2012 - July 2014
no. 2013 - November 2014
no. 2015 - December 2014
no. 2016 - September 2015
no. 2017 - November 2015 = 6 prototypes within 20 months ---> service entry December 2016

J-35:
no. 35001 - October 2021
no. 35003 - July 2022 (?)
no. 35005 (?) - September 2023 = so far 3 prototypes within 24 months

Anyway, it will be excieting to see, what's next!

Top photo definitely is the PLAAF variant, with the bottom photo being the PLAN variant with the re-enforced nose undercarriage.

I agree it looks like, but how likely is it, this is only the V2 demonstrator?

I must admit I’m still so much unsure…

That was the same with me Deino the blurred photo does not help much either, I wish that there was another much clearer photo out there in the Internet to clarify what we are seeing.