Russian Strategic Weapon Modernization Plans

-_-
Not Putin said, but was said to Putin by second rank captain during visit to ship. And not "will carry" but "may potentially carry in the future"

Sarmat to receive hypersonic RVs> not really a news? Avangard is already sceluded to be fielded in this December.

@bobbymike

Thank you for this Christmas present.

But I would like to add that reading both articles they said the Zircon is medium range. Just urging readers here to go look at the articles and dismiss Dmitry's twitter statement for saying intermediate. Because ballistic missile wise there is a major difference between speeds and ranges of IRBMs and MRBMs(which I believe apply to scramjets as well.).

And I currently cant find good sources, unless someone has sources of the size of the VLS being used to launch Kalibr, but the longest range version of the kalibr is 8.9 meters, and I am assuming the diameter is .53333 meters unless anyone has better sources. But this sort of ball parks the size of the Zircon missile based on the longer kalibr missile.. And I am glad to know there is a new HGV. Again thanks a lot.

So if they ever use this intercontinental hypersonic weapon, would it not be confused with a ICBM and start WWIII????

Couldn't we in theory turn our minutemen missiles into intercontinental hypersonic weapons with glide vehicles instead of nuke warheads? Why afterall scrap some 500 perfectly good missiles?

It’s not so much its speed as ICBMs travel at hypersonic speeds anyway but rather the manoeuvrability in the terminal phase of flight?

That along with lower altitudes limiting radar horizon or more difficulty for satellites to track it, until LEO infrared satellite projects come later.

So if they ever use this intercontinental hypersonic weapon, would it not be confused with a ICBM and start WWIII????

Since it's not conventional but a strategic nuclear weapon, WWIII is precisely what Avangard is intended to be used for. There would be no confusion, if it is ever launched in anger, starting WWIII is either part of the plan or has happened already and is likely what prompted the launch in the first place.

Not to turn this political but we can sort of thank a certain administration for wanting more nukes and of course better GMDs for the U.S. And frankly speaking I am also sort of glad that new satellites, and GMDs are being built in Russia and thanking them for wanting to build a better ballistic missile defense for China. There were quite a few close calls where this world was close to turning into ashes. The biggest fear should be the countries developing a certain amount of nuclear warheads in which if one of those 3 superpowers cannot deal with for example lets say intercepting 5 ICBMs(sure information on this is classified) getting launched than it will trigger a domino effect to start sending nukes everywhere despite the aggressor that launched those nukes 1st. Russia and China seem more rational to deal with than N Korea and Iran even if they are considered are adversaries.

Is it true that the communists are focusing nuclear delivery whereas we are focusing on conventional?
Communists? It seems to me article isn't talking specifically about China.

You seem to be referring to Russia as a communist state which it isn’t.
Perhaps best not to use potentially anachronistic or politically loaded terms when simply referring to who you are talking about is simpler and clearer anyway.

What did Trump mean today when he said the USA is producing new hypersonic missiles? Slip of the tongue or another Trump gaff?

What did Trump mean today when he said the USA is producing new hypersonic missiles? Slip of the tongue or another Trump gaff?

I believe in layman's terms, it means we're developing new hypersonic missiles.