• DF-ST-83-08538.JPEG.jpg
    DF-ST-83-08538.JPEG.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 1,444
ISADS 'Delta Spanloader' WT model

Attachments

• ISADS.jpg
    ISADS.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 337
Dan discusses this whole design study in some length in his recent book. Interestingly, when RCS was tested the design did fairly well except it had an RCS spike pointing directly forward. This seemed counterintuitive to Dan, who had deliberately designed the wing sweep, intakes etc to avoid forward reflections. He mentioned it to Rockwell's Stealth expert, who said "Oh, they all have that. Nothing you can do about it". As he realised much later on, this spike was caused by the trailing edge - he needed to angle the trailing edges too.

The model flateric posted the picture of above is currently at the LAX Flight Path Museum, if anyone wants to go arrange a look :)

Hmmmph. Coincidentally, I was there this morning. None of the docents knew anything about the wind tunnel models other than a large (about three foot span) display model of the HiMAT.

overscan said:
Dan discusses this whole design study in some length in his recent book. Interestingly, when RCS was tested the design did fairly well except it had an RCS spike pointing directly forward. This seemed counterintuitive to Dan, who had deliberately designed the wing sweep, intakes etc to avoid forward reflections. He mentioned it to Rockwell's Stealth expert, who said "Oh, they all have that. Nothing you can do about it". As he realised much later on, this spike was caused by the trailing edge - he needed to angle the trailing edges too.

The model flateric posted the picture of above is currently at the LAX Flight Path Museum, if anyone wants to go arrange a look :)

I wonder if the A-12 Avenger II had the same issue?

Apollo Leader said:
I wonder if the A-12 Avenger II had the same issue?

It did.

From TsAGI Technical Bulletin 20/1980 file,

here is some details for Rockwell ATB aircraft.

Attachments

• Rockwell 20-1980.png
    Rockwell 20-1980.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 662

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    38 KB · Views: 222
  • 5.png
    5.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 4.png
    4.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 364
  • 3.png
    3.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 2.png
    2.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 1.png
    1.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 433
the wing trailing edges should be swept forward or back, ideally at the same angle as the leading edges, but not straight. Straight trailing edge gives a spike to rear AND to the front, neither being desirable.

From the linked report, some modular airframes that intrigue me. I'm curious if these (especially the transport versions) were elaborated on in other ones.

Attachments

• modularplane.png
    modularplane.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 49
  • modularplane2.png
    modularplane2.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 87
This is Rockwell's genious Dan Raymer design of so-called 'Low-Cost Simplistic Aircraft' bomber aka ISADS, one of more carefully studied during 1979 'Manned strategic system concepts 1990-2000' study.

Look here as well for other concepts studied.
If you want, I will add more pictoriial info to Rockwell studies thread.

Dan is very interesting person - his wife has russian roots and he even has course of his lectures in Moscow Aviation Institute in post-Perestroika period.

From this report,a bigger view.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 26.png
    26.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 59