Replacing the Hunter

My idea is that UK would've done good if it had lower hopes in the multi-national projects. Bi-lateral projects - yes (even the AFVG should've been a big-a$$ warning of the things to come), but anything with 3 or more countries involved - better no.
If Americans want to spend the money on British projects, that is also very good.
Yeah, a key point from most of the collaborative projects (not just UK) is that more than 2 partners makes things much worse. And you get most of the cost reduction from adding the first partner before it's diminishing returns.

And doing something niche / better than the US and selling to that market is pretty much guaranteed successful programme (Canberra/B-57, Harrier, Hawk/T-45...)

He certainly can turn-off his afterburner, once the SARH missile is launched. A/B was for the short-time bursts of thrust anyway.
OTOH, Lighning's pilot has no ability to make a switch between the cloudy weather into cloud-less weather, so his IR-guided missile has better chances of making a hit.

Yes, he can turn off his A/B, but that is reacting to the Lightning whereas he wouldn't have to react to the Mirage.

The cloudy weather etc makes me think of something that I'm loathe to bring up as a Star Wars fantasy, but I think might be a likely development if the RAF went deep with the Lightning: the 'radar Red Top'. With Saudi style underwing pylons its possible for the Lightning to carry 4 AAMs, 2 IR and 2 radar Red Tops.

Thing with comparing fleets of the fighters is that against the force of 100 F-4s, another side can have a force of 140-150 Mirages, or 100+- Lightnings.

The unit cost of the Mirage IIIO was $1,650,000 and the 1966 exchange rate was AUD 0.89 to 1 USD, so about USD $1.45m when an F4C was $1.9m and we're guessing a Lightning at ~$1.7m.

Yes, he can turn off his A/B, but that is reacting to the Lightning whereas he wouldn't have to react to the Mirage.
Phantom's pilot is well advised to turn off the A/B regardless, since it burns fuel like there is no tomorrow (so getting back home becomes a problem), and because the manuals say so (since it might wreck the engine due to very high thermal loads).

The cloudy weather etc makes me think of something that I'm loathe to bring up as a Star Wars fantasy, but I think might be a likely development if the RAF went deep with the Lightning: the 'radar Red Top'. With Saudi style underwing pylons its possible for the Lightning to carry 4 AAMs, 2 IR and 2 radar Red Tops.

A lot of people suggested the SARH Red Top in different what-if scenarios, me included.

The unit cost of the Mirage IIIO was $1,650,000 and the 1966 exchange rate was AUD 0.89 to 1 USD, so about USD $1.45m when an F4C was $1.9m and we're guessing a Lightning at ~$1.7m.
We are not guessing the Lightning at $1.7m, you are.

Yeah, a key point from most of the collaborative projects (not just UK) is that more than 2 partners makes things much worse. And you get most of the cost reduction from adding the first partner before it's diminishing returns.
The military aircraft programs became multi-year programs by late 1950s (from the time the RFP or a spec is issued until the start of series production). During these years, a bi-lateral program can be a matter for 4 governments do deal with? It takes just one of governments to say "we actually don't want this A/C" and 4-5 years are just wasted, so is the money, and the industry takes a serious blow. Even the 1-national programs can be cancelled very easy.

Money can be found again, but the time wasted cannot, and institutional knowledge in the aeronautical companies that is now gone is very hard to be put back together. People will leave the companies, replacement for these is not easy to find once our venerable military needs another project to be completed (see also the current, post-Covid woes of many companies that were very fast to lay off the manpower, only to find out after 1-2 years that replacement manpower does not grow on the trees).

I'd say again - the best British programs for military aircraft were the ones that were British-only engineered.

But you can't fit an illuminator to the radar in the space the Lightning had so the radar Red Tops are useless. Or it happens in the 80s or later...

Unlike AIM-9, you can't just bolt on an IR Red Top anywhere. Just look at the internal equipment required.

The mooted dual rail AIM-9 launcher was the closest Lightning came to 4 missiles I think?

Attachments

• PXL_20231106_123936888.jpg
    PXL_20231106_123936888.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20231106_123946284.jpg
    PXL_20231106_123946284.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
I'd say again - the best British programs for military aircraft were the ones that were British-only engineered.
Be more Sweden and simply buy in whole systems from abroad on a supply basis Vs collaboration. Much simpler, and you're then using existing systems that are lower risk as well. But the market might not have what you need, or the optimum for your requirements.

Be more Sweden and simply buy in whole systems from abroad on a supply basis Vs collaboration. Much simpler, and you're then using existing systems that are lower risk as well. But the market might not have what you need, or the optimum for your requirements.
Sweden was making the military aircraft at home.

But you can't fit an illuminator to the radar in the space the Lightning had so the radar Red Tops are useless. Or it happens in the 80s or later...

Unlike AIM-9, you can't just bolt on an IR Red Top anywhere. Just look at the internal equipment required.

The mooted dual rail AIM-9 launcher was the closest Lightning came to 4 missiles I think?

I've read that a CW illuminator could be installed by the 200th radar set, which will never happen with the miserly support the Lightning had. However if it was supported more fully, with a fighter order in 1957-58 and another ~6 sqns acquired for the fighter-bomber role another 100-150 aircraft and therefore radar sets would be produced making a CW illuminator more viable.

Who else agrees?

This is getting a bit he said - she said. However one poster said they thought the Lighting was fairly cheap and another said an offer to India was $750,000 with a 50% subsidy and a 1966 offer to Peru was similar in price to the Mirage III.

Do you have any information on the price of the Lightning to base your disagreement? Or it just doesn't sound right to you given what's known about UK industry or whatever?

Sometimes the product is a solution looking for a problem. EE got lucky with the RAF but it took a decade to equip with decent Red Top equipped aircraft

This is true in a large part for the Lightning, it was Johnny-on-the-spot when the money ran out and the strategic policy changed.

What's a subsidy in this case?

Is that subsidising equipment fit?
Or the development cost?
Or the total cost?

This is getting a bit he said - she said. However one poster said they thought the Lighting was fairly cheap and another said an offer to India was $750,000 with a 50% subsidy and a 1966 offer to Peru was similar in price to the Mirage III.

People are certainly entitled to believe that EE was able to offer the Lightning at the same price as Dassault did with the Mirage III.
I don't believe in that, and it looks like that foreign consumers were not opting for it, either. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding.

Do you have any information on the price of the Lightning to base your disagreement? Or it just doesn't sound right to you given what's known about UK industry or whatever?

I don't have any source for the information of the price of Lightning.

UK companies were making good products, but even they could not avoid the fact that Lightning required two jet engines vs. Mirage needing just one of similar thrust and technological level, that again drew the size and weight up, and that electronics and missiles were to be more potent and thus more expensive. There was no juicy foreign contracts to help with the price of Lightnings, unlike that was the case with it's greatest commercial rivals in the 'west'.

What's a subsidy in this case?

Is that subsidising equipment fit?
Or the development cost?
Or the total cost?

No idea, I didn't know the UK was trying to flog the Lightning to India and Peru.

However the F1 and F1A were replaced in service by F6s when they became available in the mid-late 60s so perhaps these were what was being offered. Or maybe once the RAF production run was over the UK considered development a sunk cost and wasn't going to try to recoup it. Every deal is different.

I know that the US expects export customers to pay a bit extra so the taxpayer can recoup some development costs, but they also have an option to waive this cost which Australia gets every time.

People are certainly entitled to believe that EE was able to offer the Lightning at the same price as Dassault did with the Mirage III.
I don't believe in that, and it looks like that foreign consumers were not opting for it, either. Sometimes the proof is in the pudding.

I don't have any source for the information of the price of Lightning.

UK companies were making good products, but even they could not avoid the fact that Lightning required two jet engines vs. Mirage needing just one of similar thrust and technological level, that again drew the size and weight up, and that electronics and missiles were to be more potent and thus more expensive. There was no juicy foreign contracts to help with the price of Lightnings, unlike that was the case with it's greatest commercial rivals in the 'west'.

I don't think the Lightning is the same price as the Mirage III, I think it's about $300,000 more expensive which is similar to the cost of a J79 in the 1960-65 period.

I'd point out that it's unlikely that production costs in the UK are identical to those in France. Britain might well be able to build planes cheaper than France on a weight for weight basis, as might be expected from Britain's larger industry in the 40s and 50s and much greater jet experience.

As has been stated previously, Britain was begrudging in its support for the Lightning which damaged it's export prospects more than it's performance and price.

Sweden was making the military aircraft at home.
It depends what you view as "making". Building an airframe doesn't actually get you an aeroplane. This gets into which bits are the most value added activities - generally metal bashing airframe bits is one of the lowest of these. But the overall design ("architecting" in todays speak) is one of the highest. I think Sweden took a pragmatic approach of only doing some elements in house, and buying others in.
I've read that a CW illuminator could be installed by the 200th radar set,
I am unclear how making more radars somehow makes them smaller.
As has been stated previously, Britain was begrudging in its support for the Lightning which damaged it's export prospects more than it's performance and price.
This just seems more and more like the standard Industry whinge of blaming the government for everything with zero self reflection. What actual features did potential export customers want which weren't provided? It's still not as cheap as a Mirage III, Draken, F-104, F-5 etc. and not as good as a Phantom.

I'm pretty sure that the largest factors were set down very early:
  • Government performance "requirement" = two engines = size = cost
  • Industry decision on configuration layout = very limited growth potential

This is the aircraft we should have had
I wouldn't necessarily say Draken, but yes I'm pretty sure that a lower cost single engined aircraft in greater numbers would have been a better choice than chasing that last little bit of climb rate peformance. An easy opportunity for this would be taking Delta 2 forwards as a fighter instead of P.1. I wouldn't argue that this is going to be some guaranteed world beater, but is a reasonable choice with lower cost and more growth potential into the 60s.

I agree that Sweden took a pragmatic approach.
The UK could have built decent airframes and engines which we were good at and bought in stuff like missiles which the US were clearly better at.
The main problem which persists to this day is the "punch above our weight" school in Whitehall but also in some companies rather than adopting a realistic but high quality approach like Sweden.
A Viggen equipped RAF in the 70s with no money wasted on Skybolt, TSR2, P1154 and F111K would have been fine by me.

A Viggen equipped RAF in the 70s with no money wasted on Skybolt, TSR2, P1154 and F111K would have been fine by me.

No need to waste time and resources on the MRCA etc.
Viggen + British engine = can sell it abroad easily, eg. in India, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman. Italy might buy it, even Germany.
Less need for Jaguar to be anything but a training aircraft.

For mid-1980s, make a next-gen canard-delta multi-role fighter - avoids the cuts of early 1990s.

BAe helped design Gripen and were helping Saab sell it to Austria. Would have met their needs perfectly

There was a moment, when SAAB was trying to sell Viggen to the UK and HSA was trying to sell P1154 Harrier to Sweden....

Arguably HSA should have taken a deal of mutual licensing with SAAB.
Which would have made an excellent fallback position.
And with joint UK and Swedish production, it's possible this might have won over India.

The irony is that the A.36 nuclear strike aircraft was more what the UK would have preferred. But that too could have changed the game somewhat.

I am sure RAF Viggens could have been mated to WE177s

As usual the RAF wanted to take a great aircraft and screw it up Full marks to Sweden for trying though.

I am unclear how making more radars somehow makes them smaller.

With production and service experience changes can be made to better use the available space. The AI23 had a range of ~65km against bombers but the AI23B had longer range and incorporated passive antenna to receive signals from ground radar. The Blue Parrot had 2.5 times the power, a bigger antenna and was tuned for low level. By 1965 the Airpass had been developed into the fully solid state TFR/Attack radar for the TSR2 and apparently about 10 pre-production units had been built.

This just seems more and more like the standard Industry whinge of blaming the government for everything with zero self reflection. What actual features did potential export customers want which weren't provided? It's still not as cheap as a Mirage III, Draken, F-104, F-5 etc. and not as good as a Phantom.

I'm pretty sure that the largest factors were set down very early:
  • Government performance "requirement" = two engines = size = cost
  • Industry decision on configuration layout = very limited growth potential

It might be a standard industry whinge in a country with a reasonable procurement policy and procedures. The British Government declared fighters to be obsolescent, they openly stated that the Lightning would be an interim type with a short service life, bought the well behind the state of the art Hunter which was also interim type with a planned short service life and advised the West German government not to buy the Lightning when they showed some interest.

A focus on sticker price and the performance brochure is a fundamentally limited view of why Government buy one fighter for it's fleet over another. For example with the cheap Mirage IIICJ bought by Israel included a mere 15 R.530 and 8 missile launchers for 72 aircraft, whereas the IIIO bought by the RAAF used the Aim9Bs from the CAC Sabres not to mention using the existing supporting infrastructure. On the other hand if Australia had selected the Lightning they would have been able to use the extensive RR Avon industry built up for the Canberra and CAC Sabre.

Sure, West Germany went with the F104; but only after the SR.177 project faltered - at least in part because the WG Govt wanted a Government to Government arrangement rather than only with the manufacturer, showing some interest in the Lightning and being rebuffed, having their palms greased with some bribes and I've also heard anecdotally that Marcel Dassault wouldn't sell aircraft to Germans. With all that how important was sticker price and the performance brochure?

Crazy to think that the Drake did nearly everything the Lightning could do, and some things better, using just a single Avon instead of two.
Same can be said for Mirage III, or F-106, and a bit less so for F-104 and MiG-21

That extra bit of climb rate comes at quite a cost.

Crazy to think that the Drake did nearly everything the Lightning could do, and some things better, using just a single Avon instead of two.

Can it lug 2 x 300lb Firestreak/Red Top around at Mach 2? Can it detect a bomber at 65km? Can it use it's radar passively to pick up returns from ground radars?

Can it lug 2 x 300lb Firestreak/Red Top around at Mach 2? Can it detect a bomber at 65km? Can it use it's radar passively to pick up returns from ground radars?
Interestingly the Swedes did look at fitting AI.23.
I think it was deemed too expensive for them....

And had RB.106 gone forward as a drop in replacement for the Avon. It's highly likely they'd have looked at that too.

What fighter aircraft was outfitted with radar that was able to pick up returns of the ground radars (and presumably know what to do with the returns)?
Do four Sidewinder count for anything? Does the digital datalink count for anything?

Datalink for auto interception....

Funded. Ferranti built it for Lightning.
Likely intended originally for F.177 and F.155.

But never funded installation on tje fleet of aircraft.
Because they were "just a few years from replacement".....for 30 Years

What fighter aircraft was outfitted with radar that was able to pick up returns of the ground radars (and presumably know what to do with the returns)?
Do four Sidewinder count for anything? Does the digital datalink count for anything?

The AI23B fitted to the Lightning F.3 onward. Here's a thread on it https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/ferranti-ari-5897-ai23-radar.2582/

By 1958 the British had spent the time, effort and money to develop the Firestreak, and the Red Top by 1964. To go with the Sidewinder will require extra expense from the rounds themselves through training to support for a weapon of inferior performance.

That said the Draken would on paper be better than the Hunter as a Venom replacement.

The AI23B fitted to the Lightning F.3 onward. Here's a thread on it https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/ferranti-ari-5897-ai23-radar.2582/
Thank you.

By 1958 the British had spent the time, effort and money to develop the Firestreak, and the Red Top by 1964. To go with the Sidewinder will require extra expense from the rounds themselves through training to support for a weapon of inferior performance.
Instead of 4 Sidewinders, have it being outfitted with 2 Red Tops.

That said the Draken would on paper be better than the Hunter as a Venom replacement.

You don't say :)

Thank you.

Instead of 4 Sidewinders, have it being outfitted with 2 Red Tops.

You don't say :)

For the Red Top to be anything more than a highly expensive sidewinder with a bit better performance it needs to be slaved to the radar, this enables the missile's performance to be properly exploited. This incurs a cost, which was significant enough that the RN The Draken was initially fitted with the Cyrano II radar which is considerably less capable than the AI23, let alone the AI23B.

The Draken is Mach 2, radar and AAM equipped so of course it's better than the Hunter and Gnat, however I wouldn't recommend it's adoption. The Jet Provost, Gnat, Hunter and Lightning all are fully controlled by Britain and have the entire gamut of support, training, engineering, publications, weapons etc available in Britain. In contrast to adopt the Draken means standing up all of that stuff, apart from the engine, and then risking Sweden withholding key support in a crisis like they did with Australia in Vietnam with the 84mm Carl Gustav.

There are threads on adopying Swedish aircraft designs for the RAF.....

The Draken is Mach 2, radar and AAM equipped so of course it's better than the Hunter and Gnat, however I wouldn't recommend it's adoption.
Somehow I was expecting that.

Another aircraft that makes sense - both in the 1960s and in hindsight - might be the Mirage V.

Somehow I was expecting that.

Another aircraft that makes sense - both in the 1960s and in hindsight - might be the Mirage V.

The Mirage V would be competing against the Spey Phantom - Jaguar.

The Mirage V is pretty primitive compared to these two aircraft, as it was designed for the clear skies of the Mid East rather than the murk of Germany or monsoons of South East Asia.

The Mirage V is pretty primitive compared to these two aircraft, as it was designed for the clear skies of the Mid East rather than the murk of Germany or monsoons of South East Asia.
What all-weather nav/attack electronics was onboard of Jaguar in the 1st 15 years of service?

What all-weather nav/attack electronics was onboard of Jaguar in the 1st 15 years of service?

Didn't the Jag have fancy stuff like LRMTS and moving map display? This is on top of the general efficiency of the Jag, it's deployability and the fact that it is at least half controlled by Britain as a design and production partner.

Back
Top Bottom