Replacing the Hunter

uk 75

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Only two modern British combat jets have been export successes: The Hunter and the Hawk.
Unlike the TSR2, P1154 and myriad complex paper projects beloved of us here, these two planes were simple, elegant solutions.
Of course its not that simple. Many Hunters were sold as fighters rather than fighter/ground attack aircraft.
They were replaced by planes as different as the F104 and the Saab F35.
RAF Hunters were eventually replaced by the Jaguar. By 60s standards Jaguar was a sensible, simple design.
Ironically, the Hawk started life as a "replacement" for RAF Jaguars re-roled as FGA.
A third aircraft deserves a mention, the Saab Gripen. This design owes much to the BAe light fighter studies of the 70s and is in many ways close to the Hunter on simplicity and cost effectiveness.
BAe now seems focussed on F35 Lightning and Tempest. Perhaps it needs to remember Hunter, Hawk and Gripen

Last edited:

red admiral

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Harrier?

Worth noting how much US cash went into developing and building Hunters and Harriers. And that basically all of Hunter, Harrier, Hawk were basically pilot eyeball laying down guns, rockets and iron bombs. Hardly all-weather attack.

Jaguar with a single turbofan and bigger wing and not supersonic feels like the best Hunter FGA.9 replacement to me

Nowadays I'm not sure any combat aircraft is focused on simplicity, or what this would even look like.

Mike Pryce

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Reaction score
"Jaguar with a single turbofan and bigger wing and not supersonic feels like the best Hunter FGA.9 replacement to me"
= AMX?

A Harrier pilot would probably argue their eyeball is the best sensor there is (God's eye view!)

An aircraft can't focus on anything. Only a designer can.

Attachments

• 1620081366762.png
    1620081366762.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 36

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Ditto to the AMX, a lot of potential in that small design. I think of the all the plethora of Spey based projects that went nowhere, Mirage IIIK, Spey A-4, Supersonic A-7, F-100S etc (Calling on @Archibald ) Depending on your timeline departure, there could be a subsonic light attack Spey AMX type like the French wanted and either go for a Spey Mirage III/V or F1 for the supersonic attack and all-weather role.

_Del_

I really should change my personal text... Or not.
Reaction score
A Harrier pilot would probably argue their eyeball is the best sensor there is (God's eye view!)
A lot has changed since then, but when A-10's were playing AFAC over Kosovo, they found when restricted to medium altitude, the gyrostabilized binoculars the A-10 pilots were using had better resolution, bigger images, and better contrast than the LANTIRN pods on the Beagles, Bombcats, and Vipers.

tomo pauk

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Jaguar with one engine gets my vote. At 1st with Avon (it is in mass production), later with RB.199 for lower weight and better mileage.

NOMISYRRUC

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Is this allowed?

Don't cancel the Hawker P.1083 which is built as the Hunter F Mk 6 instead of the P.1099. The RAF uses about 160 in the FGA and FR roles in the 1960s instead of the converted P.1099s that it used in the real world.

A further development with Spey engines is built for the RAF instead of the P.1154 RAF and Jaguar.

_Del_

I really should change my personal text... Or not.
Reaction score
Is this allowed?

Don't cancel the Hawker P.1083 which is built as the Hunter F Mk 6 instead of the P.1099.
If you're going to cheat, why not go a step further? ;)
p-1091-project-gif.319266

NOMISYRRUC

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Is this allowed?

Don't cancel the Hawker P.1083 which is built as the Hunter F Mk 6 instead of the P.1099.
If you're going to cheat, why not go a step further? ;)
p-1091-project-gif.319266
A Hawker designed and built alternative to the Mirage III and 5. I like it! I like it a lot!

My guess is that couldn't be put into production instead of the P.1099. However, it aught to be possible to put it into service instead of the Hunter FGA.9 and FR.10. This Hawker Delta 1 with Avon engines is succeeded by the Hawker Delta 2 with Spey engines which is built instead of the P.1154RAF and Jaguar.