• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

RAF Puma Replacement?

RavenOne

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
So here's a what if:

The US marines are retiring 20+ young hueys, how about the RAF either loan or buy them for a short fill in, whilst waiting for V-280 or SB-1??

I wish lol in fact hand on heart a soft spot in me wishes that quarter of a century ago, the AAC selected the Bell AH-1W FBW (which Bell teamed up with then GEC Avionics) instead of the AH-64D.

But the UH-1Y does not fill the Puma capability sadly not can it be intergrated in Joing Helicopter Command.

The article(s) on some imminent AH-1Z retirement (esepcially about the Kanoehe Bay ones) is not so crystal clear, it might be some of the early ones perhaps converted from AH-1W (?). I doubt any UH-1Y be retired.

Cheers

Wyvern

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Most would probably end up in mothball, rather than being retired out of the service completely.

Going somewhat off topic, but I still wish the AAC chose the Mangusta as their attack helicopter. But, I guess we can all dream.

Back to the topic at hand :).

RavenOne

Reaction score
Most would probably end up in mothball, rather than being retired out of the service completely.

Going somewhat off topic, but I still wish the AAC chose the Mangusta as their attack helicopter. But, I guess we can all dream.

Back to the topic at hand :).

likewise too

Anyhow the Probs were twofold

1) Apparent, when it was firing trials over Salisbury Plain, the Mangusta could not hit targets properly at the time.

2) How much it could carry was not up to AAC spec

cheers

-

RavenOne

Reaction score
Here's another article about the Puma replacement program

TBH, UKDJ isn’t all gospel and time and time again I have corrected their FB posts as they’ve got the wrong a/c type designation or described an a/c program incorrectly.

cheers

CJGibson

Reaction score
<-----------Here. Read all about the AAC and the Mangusta.

Chris

zebedee

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Paper talk . . . ?
Or subtle lobbying.

cheers,
Robin.
Speaking as someone who takes anything they read in that paper with a large dose of scepticism, especially about aviation, I would say lobbying, Leonardo had a go last week...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...l-britain-aw149-leonardo-uk-integrated-review

Zeb

Last edited:

Wyvern

Reaction score