Well if we are going to put on our secret plan hat, i would agree with Scott, but with a twist. The MoD will  lease aircraft from Leonardo. Easier to turn off, and the aircraft are easier to dispose of after the perriod of performance. It was noted that there was much traffic at the Bell Flight chalet at Farnbourough (sp) with the coming and going of many suits during the show. Since Leonardo has factory space in UK it is not a stretch that agreements were proposed to have some of the European version of a V-280 like platform built at those facilities.

A wild guess to be sure, but stranger things have happened.

The MoD will  lease aircraft from Leonardo.
I would not be surprised if that is the case, the MoD already uses leased/privately-owned aircraft for training (which is a bit of a silly situation, but that's beside the point).

Perhaps Leonardo might build orders for other countries in the UK to win over the contract. Likewise, it could be an attempt to get the Italians to order the Wildcat as well, as they had previously tested one a couple of years back.

If indeed an order does not go through, perhaps it could force Leonardo UK to venture into other defence areas in addition to helicopters.

We should've Leased H145 (as we already leased them) until other competition I am not sure what name it will take in the 2030s (to replace Merlin) and similar NATO/EU Medium Helicopters in the 2030s too. so more number order would reduce the cost.

I think we should've done this; split V-280 Valor for Troop Carry + SAR, Cargos haul (artillery or vehicle with artillery 105mm Hawkeyes or VAMTAC Rapid Ranger etc) as the main reason, speed, and long-range will help in the Pacific Ocean area, plus Quick reaction force to support them.. it would be good for commando & Special force, Support Special force group mission.

and Modern Merlin version with better maintenance with 3D Prints and Optic Fibre, LDT Screen. for the rear Ramp reason which V-280 lacks.

T-650 for Drone operation numerous roles if Risk assets to rescue or recover injury/wound in danger for pilot go into for eyes mk.1

(also increase Protector Mk.1 for ASW + AEW Roles for Carrier ops to replace Crownest and support fleet protecting in outside of fleet radius also land ops to Support P8 + E7)

We should've Leased H145 (as we already leased them) until other competition I am not sure what name it will take in the 2030s (to replace Merlin) and similar NATO/EU Medium Helicopters in the 2030s too. so more number order would reduce the cost.
H145 is in a different size and weight class to the Puma/AW149

Given one the main problems faced by the British state at the moment is the greater cost of outsourcing for worse service, I'd hope they would buy the AW149s with a significant spares package outright, and maintain them internally, lest we end up with Thames Water in helicopter form.

Britain does not need V-280s for the extra range in the Pacific, Britain will not be fighting in the Pacific, our greatest involvement in any such war will be to replace US forces in Europe to enable them to be diverted to the Pacific. Plus it's not designed or made here.

I thought the NMH contract was set up as a kind of lease arrangement anyway? the bidders were to be paid not for the number of helicopter fuselages but for the number of aircraft available for service when requested, a bit like Air Tanker (though they wont be doing a side hustle as commercial aircraft) or the Intercity Express Programme. The government set a minimum number of airframes required and the daily availability rate they expected and the bidders then had to decide how many fuselages they needed to build to meet that availability rate knowing that any given point some would be in routine or heavy maintenance while others might experience mechanical breakdown.

Given one the main problems faced by the British state at the moment is the greater cost of outsourcing for worse service, I'd hope they would buy the AW149s with a significant spares package outright, and maintain them internally, lest we end up with Thames Water in helicopter form.

Britain does not need V-280s for the extra range in the Pacific, Britain will not be fighting in the Pacific, our greatest involvement in any such war will be to replace US forces in Europe to enable them to be diverted to the Pacific. Plus it's not designed or made here.
The Puma upgrade was already pioneering before the Thames Water, spend more for less choppers...

The NATO new model rotorcraft, or whatever the official program name is, seems to be demanding a V280 type airframe. Because it allows the FARPs and air assault staging bases to be 200nmi back from the lines instead of less than 50nmi.

Yeah but waiting for NGRC will be like waiting for NH90 - 25 years and still not sure if it works when you get it.
Or the AW609, flying for 21 years and still not certified.

Yeah but waiting for NGRC will be like waiting for NH90 - 25 years and still not sure if it works when you get it.
Valid concern.

It's why I think it's only going to hold out till the V280 final version is flying.

Or the AW609, flying for 21 years and still not certified.
I don't think that's AW's fault. FAA etc keep adding more and more requirements.

Wow, just days after deciding not to bid for the NMH; Airbus has done a U-turn and decided to make a tender with a new factory in Broughton to produce the H175M after all. From the sound of it they have reworked their bid to include delaying delivery of the H175M and instead providing maintenance support for the Puma fleet to remain in service for longer than planned through the NMH contract.

I suppose the Treasury bean counters indicated they were happy with slowing the rate of spend, hence improving the MoD's cash flow position.

New factory? Seems extravagant when Spirit at Belfast and Prestwick would be building the fuselages and have space and skills.

Still, good to see another bidder.