I was quite upset for the Puma replacement plans years ago, which first started with a re-engined Puma instead of purchasing new UM-60M with similar budget and possibly quicker delivery. The re-engine programme was eventually delayed and cut back with a few airframes less (sounds familiar?)

And now the same fiasco again......what can 23 airframes do?

Sexy, sexiness from Leonardo. Seriously, some interesting information.

Having flown a 139 I will say that it is a fine flying helicopter. In fairness Airbus has some great platforms as well. Having done Blackhawks for some time, in a former life, I am partial to it as an assault platform, The UK has three great options to choose from.
Quotes from above articles.
From the start of its development, the AW149 was designed to meet the most exacting military crashworthiness standards set by the UK Ministry of Defence (MOD) and our international military customers.…
This simulation was subsequently compared with actual observed behaviour of a crash test that witnessed a fuel cell dropped from 50 feet. In this case, it hit the ground at 56 feet per second on impact, which is 34% higher than the maximum speed required in DEFStan 00-970. The structural failure modes and deformations in the test correlated extremely well with the simulation results. Once again, the cabin remained intact. In addition, AW149 fuel tanks and fuel cut-off features are designed to prevent fire in the event of a crash, and are compliant to international MIL standard 1290A.

Quotes from above articles.
So PR puff pieces.

Still, what was its type certification base and who certificated it…

In contrast to the Blackhawk.

I get 149 looks lovely and shiney but having been a passenger many times on and off the battlefield in helos, I want it to be something that will look after me. Not just look after the money pit that is Yeovil.

Dear Hood,
Don't feel bad.
In terms of Canadian Defense purchases, nothing goes as promised by politicians.
Hah!
Hah!
And it is often delivered decades later than promised.
Hah!
Hah!
The poor bloody infantry end up priority last in the purchasing process.
Hah!
Hah!
I have been involved in three Canadian procurements and they were all disastrous. Government would launch a programme, withdraw and then re-issue the requirement. Spend lots of money and then cancel. Or pick S92 for ASW work (with no track record of that capability), when they already had a Merlin variant in the fleet. Or make a down-select, only to have a change of Government, followed by an immediate change in direction.

NATO spec, and a US MILSPEC.
What NATO spec? (DEFSTANs are a UK MoD thing).

And the MILSPEC is irrelevent.

Does anyone here actually understand what type certification means? It is rather more than just throwing letters of the alphabet in!

CS-29, large rotorcraft for 189 (and aiui 139). But what for 149…

We get it.

NOTHING BUT A BLACKHAWK IS ACCEPTABLE TO YOU.
Actually, I said just get more Wildcat, Merlin and Chinook and so benefit from economies of scale on existing training and support pyramids and be able to scale deployments much easier. That probably isnt “visionary” enough….