Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Soviet Navy Project 1080 ballistic missile cruiser. The intention was to create a land-attack capability similar to that offered by a US Navy aircraft carrier. Design work was begun in 1970 by Neva PKB.

General Characteristics

Displacement: 15,000 to 16,000 tons
Length: 215 meters (705 feet)
Beam: 26 meters (85 feet)
Draft: ?
Maximum speed: 30 to 32 knots
Endurance: 30 days
Crew: 450 to 500

Propulsion: Gas turbines?, 92,000 SHP, 2 shafts, 2 screw propellers

Armament:
* 200 Elbrus-M missiles (50 each in four cells)
* 64 3K95 Kinzhal surface-air-missile (8 launchers with 8 missiles)
* 2 x 2 76.2-mm AK-726 dual-purpose guns
* ? 30-mm Zak AK-630 guns
* 2 x 12 RBU-6000 Smerch-2 anti-submarine rockets
* 144 RGB-60 unguided depth charges

Embarked aircraft: 2 Kamov Ka-25 helicopters, NATO reporting name "Hormone"

Line drawing of one of the last design concepts of Project 1080 from Alternate Ships of the Imperial Russian and Soviet Navy (rough translation of the title) by Aleksey Nikolayevich Sokolov .

Post rewritten on 11/13/2009 with additional information.

Source: "Project 1080" page at
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atrinaflot.narod.ru%2Findex.htm&lp=ru_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Attachments

• 1080.jpg
    1080.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3,039
Triton said:
Project 1080 circa 1975 to 1980 from the Soviet Union.

Soviet Arsenal ship concept ? That midships feature looks like a "Workers Cooperative Missile Farm" or some such....

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

Any word on the type of missile? Looks like 200 SS-N-9s which would ruin any carrier's day though how you could get that thing close enough to launch them is beyond me.

According to "snake65" at the Warship Projects Discussion Boards 3.0 the ship was a design by Nevsky PKB.

The ship was designed for Elbrus land attack missiles intended to replace Tochka-S missiles. Elbrus was designed by MIT and was 9.7x1.1 meters, 7600 kg and 1000 km range. Elbrus was aborted when MIT was switched to design Pioneer MRBM.
So, 1080 was in effect a land-attack arsenal ship. It's architecture by the way looks quite similar to 1941 intelligence gathering ship. It's possible, that the hull was started and later used for unique 1941.
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3080&mforum=warshipprojects

I thought it was a very interesting design because it resembles the US Navy and DARPA Arsenal Ship, so I decided to share it. The line drawing comes from the book whose cover image I have attached below. I was hoping that our Russian friends might have a copy of this book and might tell us more about this concept.

The Russian title roughly translates to Alternate Ships of the Imperial Russian and Soviet Navy by Aleksey Nikolayevich Sokolov.

Attachments

• SovietNavyBook.jpg
    SovietNavyBook.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 762
I've often wondered if these could be used as bait. With that much firepower it would be a very high priority targeted in comparison to the construction cost. Just place it somewhere surrounded by light screening ships and attack submarines and watch the enemy's aircraft and ships break upon your little trap.

At the very least it would divert some of the attackers away from the Kirov and Kuznetsov class battle groups.

Having looked at the stated source of this, I am curious as to where it came from.

The drawing appears to use drawing conventions present in many of Norman Friedman's Illustrated histories for the USN. The architecture of the ship above and below the waterline seems to follow American styles and layouts and there are what looks like four Mark 29 NATO Sea Sparrow box launchers on the upper deck, one in each of the four corners of the ship.

This is not to say that this couldn't be a variant of Project 1080. What I'm saying is that the style in which it is drawn seems to suggest otherwise. If it is an Amercan design then is it a hitherto undicussed USN Arsenal Ship proposal?

Hoping someone has an answer for this one.................

Putting on my bulletproof clothes, now.........

Diving into the bunker......................

Wow, the line drawing identified at the Russian web site as an early Project 1080 design concept certianly resembles the US Navy SABMIS artist's conception. The SABMIS ship seems to have similar layout and dimensions to the Project 1080 ship. It is possible that the previously posted inboard profile may in fact be the SABMIS. Come to think of it, it also looks like a design for the arsenal ship and the style appears similar to drawings produced by the US Navy Bureau of Ships (BuShips).

I would say that the drawing from ATRINA is indeed SABMIS but mis-identified as a variant of Project 1080 by the originator of the page. It matches up too well.

RLBH, do you know if there is any other info out there on SABMIS concept?

Thanks in advance.

B)

Soviet Navy Project 1080 ballistic missile cruiser. The intention was to create a land-attack capability similar to that offered by a US Navy aircraft carrier. Design work was begun in 1970 by Neva PKB.

General Characteristics

Displacement: 15,000 to 16,000 tons
Length: 215 meters (705 feet)
Beam: 26 meters (85 feet)
Draft: ?
Maximum speed: 30 to 32 knots
Endurance: 30 days
Crew: 450 to 500

Propulsion: Gas turbines?, 92,000 SHP, 2 shafts, 2 screw propellers

Armament:
* 200 Elbrus-M missiles (50 each in four cells)
* 64 3K95 Kinzhal surface-air-missile (8 launchers with 8 missiles)
* 2 x 2 76.2-mm AK-726 dual-purpose guns
* ? 30-mm Zak AK-630 guns
* 2 x 12 RBU-6000 Smerch-2 anti-submarine rockets
* 144 RGB-60 unguided depth charges

Embarked aircraft: 2 Kamov Ka-25 helicopters, NATO reporting name "Hormone"

Line drawing of one of the last design concepts of Project 1080 from Alternate Ships of the Imperial Russian and Soviet Navy (rough translation of the title) by Aleksey Nikolayevich Sokolov .

Post rewritten on 11/13/2009 with additional information.

Source: "Project 1080" page at
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...arod.ru/index.htm&lp=ru_en&btnTrUrl=Translate
Me here, I think that it could be somewhat viable with some refurbishing. Swap out Elbruses for Iskanders, AK-630s for AK-630M2/Kashtans, and AK-726 for A-190/AK-176 guns, and it should be a pretty decent missile truck