Perseverance Rover

View: https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1288117654889222144

ULA Launch Director Bill Cullen gives final approval to begin the rollout. Pre-roll preps are complete and the weather is acceptable to move the 197-foot-tall rocket on its Mobile Launch Platform a third-of-a-mile north to the launch pad @45thspacewing.

No going back now. Unless NASA has to postpone the launch because of the dreaded Florida weather. Let's hope for clear sky's and no rain come Thursday.

Anyone here knows what the projected chance of rain at Kennedy Space Centre will be for tomorrow? I hope that it is going to be clear sky’s over the launch site.

View: https://twitter.com/ulalaunch/status/1288589776837398530

Join us starting later tonight for our live #AtlasV blog that will take you through the countdown to the launch of Mars 2020. Live coverage begins at 12:15amEDT (0415 UTC). Liftoff is set for 7:50amEDT (1150 UTC). And watch for Countdown Trivia! Live blog:

Interesting alternate approach, they have taken to get MSR approved at least. Since the Viking days JPL desperately tried to pack the entire mission (pick the samples + with or without a rover + return the samples) into a single hugely expensive and very risky mission.
Try as they might, bewteen 1980 and 2010 they could never, ever get that mission funded despite its impeccable interest, credentials, science case, and the like.

So they tried to cut it into separate, less expensive bits. Plus enlisting the Europeans.

So perseverance will pick samples, caches them... for retrieval and return by a second mission. Clever trick. Takes more time, but la fin justifie les moyens, after all.

Someone noted the Moxie experiment aboard the rover. Here are the details from NASA:

It's a reverse solid oxyde fuel cell.

View: https://twitter.com/jimbridenstine/status/1288847470907346944

We had a good launch this morning, we’re right on course for Mars and signal from @NASAPersevere is strong. We are working to configure the ground stations to match the strength of the spacecraft signal. This scenario is one we’ve worked through in the past with other missions.

View: https://twitter.com/nasapersevere/status/1288848763277029377

I am healthy and on my way to Mars, but may be too loud for the antennas on Earth while I'm so close. Ground stations are working to match my signal strength so that I can communicate clearly with my team.

MISSION UPDATES | Jul. 30, 2020
Mars 2020 Perseverance Healthy and on Its Way

The team controlling NASA’s Mars 2020 Perseverance rover has received telemetry (detailed spacecraft data) down from the spacecraft and has also been able to send commands up to the spacecraft, according to Matt Wallace, the mission’s deputy project manager. The team, based at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California, has confirmed that the spacecraft is healthy and on its way to Mars.

Wallace provided a more detailed update on two issues during launch operations:

“First, the proximity of the spacecraft to Earth immediately after launch was saturating the ground station receivers of NASA’s Deep Space Network. This is a known issue that we have encountered on other planetary missions, including during the launch of NASA’s Curiosity rover in 2011. The Perseverance team worked through prepared mitigation strategies that included detuning the receivers and pointing the antennas slightly off-target from the spacecraft to bring the signal within an acceptable range. We are now in lock on telemetry after taking these actions.

“The second issue was a transient event involving temperature on the spacecraft. The mission uses a liquid freon loop to bring heat from the center of the spacecraft to radiators on the cruise stage (the part that helps fly the rover to Mars), which have a view to space. We monitor the difference in temperature between the warm inlet to the radiators and the cooler outlet from the radiators. As the spacecraft entered into Earth’s shadow, the Sun was temporary blocked by Earth, and the outlet temperature dropped. This caused the difference between the warm inlet and cooler outlet to increase. This transient differential tripped an alarm and caused the spacecraft to transition into the standby mode known as ‘safe mode.’

“Modeling by the team predicted something like this could happen during eclipse – the time when the spacecraft is in Earth’s shadow – but we could not create this exact environment for tests prior to launch. Nor did we have flight data from Curiosity, because its trajectory had no eclipse. We set the limits for the temperature differential conservatively tight for triggering a safe mode. The philosophy is that it is far better to trigger a safe mode event when not required, than miss one that is. Safe mode is a stable and acceptable mode for the spacecraft, and triggering safe mode during this transitional phase is not problematic for Mars 2020.
“With the understanding of the causes of these issues, we are conducting the operations necessary to move the spacecraft back out of safe mode and into normal cruise mode.”

Good to see everything is back to normal with the Perseverance rover, I was concerned about the health of the rover when I first heard about it.

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasakennedy/50174672007/

NASA Kennedy
KSC-20200730-PH_GMW02_0299

NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine, center, watches Mars 2020 launch on the observation deck of the Operations and Support Building II at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on July 30, 2020. With him are students Vaneeza Rupani, at left, and Alex Mather. Rupani named the Ingenuity helicopter, and Mather names the Mars Perseverance rover. A United Launch Alliance Atlas V 541 rocket lifted off at 7:50 a.m. EDT from Space Launch Complex 41 at nearby Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, sending the rover and helicopter on their trek to Mars. The rover is part of NASA's Mars Exploration Program, a long-term effort of robotic exploration of the Red Planet. The rover will search for habitable conditions in the ancient past and signs of past microbial life on Mars. The Launch Services Program at Kennedy is responsible for launch management. Photo credit: NASA/Gianni Woods

The space industry is one of the biggest in today's society. In the open space thanks to microgravity we can have lots of benefits - two of the main are biomedicine and materials research. Other on-going research examples include bone density studies, embryonic development, stem cell research, and biomaterial 3D printers to only name a few. In the USA, Europe and Japan increasing interest for microgravity research.

I hope that nothing goes wrong with Perseverance's landing on Wednesday, after all NASA landed Curiosity on Mars with no trouble so they can do it again with Perseverance.

I hope that nothing goes wrong with Perseverance's landing on Wednesday, after all NASA landed Curiosity on Mars with no trouble so they can do it again with Perseverance.
I want to see that helicopter fly. All the, "here's how things could go sideways" clickbait is annoying. EVERYBODY knows the thing could crash.

I want to see that helicopter fly. All the, "here's how things could go sideways" clickbait is annoying. EVERYBODY knows the thing could crash.

I hope that the helicopter fly's too sferrin, I would like to see how the rotors cope in the Martian atmosphere. Would this be a prelude to a much larger Mars helicopter in the future post Perseverance?

I hope that the helicopter fly's too sferrin, I would like to see how the rotors cope in the Martian atmosphere. Would this be a prelude to a much larger Mars helicopter in the future post Perseverance?
The next flying probe I'm aware of is for Titan: