MiG MFI / I-90 - MiG 1.44 / MiG 1.42

It is pretty.

I'd always assumed the R-37 would have been semi-recessed (like on the Mig-31)?
 
I assume that the first models of this aircraft were equipped with 4 R-77s under the fuselage, on AKU-170 ejector systems
AKU without cases, their mechanisms are mounted in the fuselage
 
Has anyone ever been able to nail down what the Height/Length/Width measurements for this thing are? I've seen the length vary in different sources from 17 to 21 meters. Trying to work on a 3d model but its hard when the length itself various so widely across sources.
 
Has anyone ever been able to nail down what the Height/Length/Width measurements for this thing are? I've seen the length vary in different sources from 17 to 21 meters. Trying to work on a 3d model but its hard when the length itself various so widely across sources.
1.44 wingspan 15 meters, 1.42 wingspan 17 meters. If you remind me, I'll post the 3D model in two weeks
 
1.44 wingspan 15 meters, 1.42 wingspan 17 meters. If you remind me, I'll post the 3D model in two weeks
Thanks your a life saver, not that I don't trust you but where do those numbers come from? And does anyone know why there is such a large variation?
 
Because these are two different aircraft. It is likely that the requirement to replace the MiG-31 and its four long-range R-37 missiles was added to 1.42. Only the Su-27 was required to be replaced from 1.44
 
Because these are two different aircraft. It is likely that the requirement to replace the MiG-31 and its four long-range R-37 missiles was added to 1.42. Only the Su-27 was required to be replaced from 1.44
Gotcha so for the Mig 1.44 it should be 16x15x4.5 meters?
 
Yeah, it was a big plane. Almost a redesign of the Mig-31 to be a "Eurocanard" in some ways. It is one of the reasons why depictions of it with the R-77 rather than the R-37 always seemed to be missing the point a bit. Presumably it would have had a pretty powerful radar as well.
 
I would have thought that if the 1.42 had entered service it would have had the R-37 as well as the R-77.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom