Me 262 - Projects, Pre-Projects And Variants

what do you think about those drawing?
1530-16419.jpg

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=1530
Messerschmitt-Me-262-B2a-01d.jpg

Messerschmitt-Me-262-B1a-01d.jpg

sgeorges4 said:
So this was a real B2a concept?! :eek:
If your question is about the single-seat Me 262 with radar antennae: there was one such aircraft, but it seems it was a testbed with the radar array on its nose used mainly for aerodynamic testing.
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6994.msg256955.html#msg256955

index.php

To me, this image shows the short fuselage. The long fuselage 262 appears to have its cockpit over the wing's leading edge, instead of the short fuselage's cockpit which sits in the middle of the centre section.
Me262-Langrumpf.jpg

Also note the position of the under-fuselage tanks. The top image shows the tanks' tails reach as far back as the wing root, where the long fuselage drawing shows the same tanks well clear of the wing root.

fake?
1338120973_messerschmittme262_4.jpg

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/361221-messerschmitt-me-262-c-3a-latest-from-the-heimatsch%C3%BCtzer-iv-series-that-flew/

sgeorges4 said:
why original nose is dashed for the project under the first one?

Probably to show, how much the nose was lengthened compared to the standard.

sgeorges4 said:
... and can anyone give a larger picture of those project(I have some problem for reading what's write on them)?

.. and another good reason to mention the source (but I just asked once or twice ...) ! ::)
It's much easier, if you don't have to browse through several books. I was lucky, Hugh Morgans "Me 262 Sturmvogel/Schwalbe"
was the second one.
What's a bit strange is, that those drawings are on paper with the logo of the Deutsche Lufthansa. Perhaps paper with
the Messerschmitt logo was sold out ? Or the Lufthansa staff used his spare time to put some ideas on paper ?

Attachments

• Bild-003.jpg
    Bild-003.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 322
Thanks! Just want to know If those Mohr drawing are based on something real or not.
Thanks for your answer!
And for the lufthansa logo,It's seem that the first example where suppose to be create in the Berlin-
Staaken workshops of Deutsche Lufthansa from what I can understand in this book:
51KBLehJqsL.jpg

sgeorges4 said:
Thanks! Just want to know If those Mohr drawing are based on something real or not.
Thanks for your answer!
And for the lufthansa logo,It's seem that the first example where suppose to be create in the Berlin-
Staaken workshops of Deutsche Lufthansa from what I can understand in this book:

Yes, see p44.

Just want to know if a all weather or nightfighter monoplace version where at least consider by messerschmitt,and If so any drawing/description of them?
Thank for your answer!

sgeorges4 said:
Just want to know if a all weather or nightfighter monoplace version where at least consider by messerschmitt,and If so any drawing/description of them?
Thank for your answer!

Not that I know of, and not that I think has ever been written about by anyone (happy to be proven wrong if someone else can think of a book which mentions one!). It seems unlikely, since the pilot would have been severely overloaded if required to operate the radar unit while also flying the aircraft, managing the navigation, radio etc. on their own in darkness. And why bother when a two-seater conversion of the Me 262 wasn't that difficult?

The original drawing that the re-draw on p753 of Smith & Creek's Me 262 Volume 4 is based on, plus a sketch from the same set of drawings, showing two different arrangements of the rear-set engine nacelle in profile. Other sketches in the set, which I don't think Smith & Creek show, include an Me 262 with delta-wing configuration and Arado-style crescent wing.

Attachments

• HG II 1.jpg
    HG II 1.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 326
  • HG II 2.jpg
    HG II 2.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 304
newsdeskdan said:
Me 262 with delta-wing configuration and Arado-style crescent wing.

Wow! Will this make it into your next volume?

From Flugzeug Classic Extra 2019.
Dear members,
who either understand German or live in Germany,
this bookazine "Flugzeug Classic Extra - Messerschmitt Me 262" will be published in followings days here in Germany according to my local newsagent at the main train station, who I asked yesterday after work on my way home. It might be laid out over the weekend before the official publishing date next Monday on Septemter 9th, 2019.
Link: https://verlagshaus24.de/messerschmitt-me-262

It looks like it will be worth getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Product information "Aircraft Classic Extra"
The Me 262 was the first mass-produced jet fighter in the world. and its emergence was sometimes as adventurous as its Einsatzgeschchte. In the first part of its new series, Aircraft Classic tells the story of the wonder jet from the early planning stage to the almost production-ready V-pattern. The magazine offers previously unpublished drawings and a wealth of rare footage.
product details
  • ISBN: 9783862459742
  • Appears on 09.09.2019
  • GeraMond Verlag
  • 100 pages
  • about 150 pictures
  • Format 21.0 x 28.0 cm
  • Perfect Bound

I've deleted Hesham's post. It contained lots of great pics from the Aircraft Classic Extra above. A PDF of the magazine is already being distributed online illegally before the magazine hits the news stands. we should not encourage this. If you are interested please buy a legitimate copy.

Sorry for that my dear Paul,

I don't read any date on it,so I thought it published early this year.

why hobby boss putted a bmw 003 in a avia cs 92 ? (same goes for the R4M/Wgr 21,would fit more for the a1a box for me,particluary the Wgr 21)
was it considered? Because the V-31 doesn't seem to have bmw 003 for me:
p_new_avia_cs-92_trainer_on_airfix_workbench_blog.jpg

what 262 variant were considered to befitted with R4M / X4 krammer?

wich variant was considered for the X4 beside the A1a?
GMwI4EW.jpg

also a list:

It's the SG 500 Jagdfaust, not rockets. The whole concept could be real, although tests of the SG 500 conducted with Fw190 showed, the weapon produced heavy blast when fired, so the barrels had to be mounted in wings far from the fuselage, to avoid damage.

Plus anyway, Me-262 and B-29s, the author of that CGI shows his disregard for any veracity...

I believe the logistics effort required would have been huge and the aircraft itself overkill for the mission. Much better to use the B-29 for the pacific theatre where the extra legs of the aircraft were in real need.

Were the radar tested on the V056 planned/considered to be on the B1a/U1 or other nacthjäger based on the 262?
lrg1778.jpg

nevington-me262-a-1a-u25.jpg

Then why not B-29 in Europe?
Simply because B-29s were not used in Europe during WW2. Like Foo wrote, their longer-range was more needed in the PTO. ETO used B-17s and B-24s.
A modicum of fact-checking is always useful before embarking on a project.

Now your pictures are very good and I enjoy them. I just prefer when they fit in history as we know it.

Actually, contrary to most everything else that has appeared about using the B-29 in Europe, the USAAF had every intention of using the aircraft and flying it out of the UK. However, according to my original documents (and assuming I am remembering the specifics precisely from here at the kitchen table) the USAAF got into a major pissing match with the RAF and UK about strengthening and extending runways, new taxiways and hardstands, etc., so the B-29 could be used. THis dragged on long enough that the B-29 was not really needed in Europe. On top of that, the AAF was planning on replacing ALL B-24s in all theaters with the B-32 which, had it actually happened, would have been a tremendous force multiplier. Going again from memory, one B-32 would have the equivalent impact of eight B-24s. This is going to be covered in my and Nick Veronico's upcoming book which we hope to have in print by late 2020, "Dominator - The Untold Story of the B-32". And believe me when I say the extent of the untold story is truly staggering.

Anyway, I've found no indication anywhere that the AAF didn't want to use the B-29 in Europe for fear of it falling into German hands. If anyone has any OFFICIAL documents indicating this I would love to see them.

Submitted for your consideration,

AlanG

why is the Flugzeug klassik extra dating the Schnellbomber I variant from 11 september 1943 when other document date it from the 22 july 1943?

Actually, contrary to most everything else that has appeared about using the B-29 in Europe, the USAAF had every intention of using the aircraft and flying it out of the UK. However, according to my original documents (and assuming I am remembering the specifics precisely from here at the kitchen table) the USAAF got into a major pissing match with the RAF and UK about strengthening and extending runways, new taxiways and hardstands, etc., so the B-29 could be used. THis dragged on long enough that the B-29 was not really needed in Europe. On top of that, the AAF was planning on replacing ALL B-24s in all theaters with the B-32 which, had it actually happened, would have been a tremendous force multiplier. Going again from memory, one B-32 would have the equivalent impact of eight B-24s. This is going to be covered in my and Nick Veronico's upcoming book which we hope to have in print by late 2020, "Dominator - The Untold Story of the B-32". And believe me when I say the extent of the untold story is truly staggering.

Anyway, I've found no indication anywhere that the AAF didn't want to use the B-29 in Europe for fear of it falling into German hands. If anyone has any OFFICIAL documents indicating this I would love to see them.

Submitted for your consideration,

AlanG

Do you have a date as to when the book about the Dominator might appear?

founded this HG 1 depiction
Ygbmx2Z.jpg

Ed,

I have no idea when the book will be out, but we plan to deliver it to the publisher in June or July of this year. I'm going to guess that they will want to get it out sometime close to Christmas - perhaps even as early as Telford. For now, I've gathered over 42GB of photos and information on the Dominator that must be hammered together into a coherent story of this much-maligned aircraft. The book will be packed with photos and drawings, most of which have never been seen before, wrapped by information that no one ever bothered to look for before. I assure you there will NOT be very many pages (if any) taken from manuals. We're telling the story BEHIND the manuals on the aircraft's development. For instance, even tho the last production block was somewhere in the very low 30's (don't recall which one off the top of my head), we have the list of production changes planned up through the Block 60 that will appear in the book. My co-author Nick Veronico and I are both really excited about this book and giving the old bird the glory she's due.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance than that at this point.

AlanG