Mach-4 Deck-Launched Interceptor

KJ_Lesnick

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Does anybody have any drawings of McDonnell's Mach-4 deck-launched interceptor?

KJ

"There were a whole bunch of applications – these were powered by air-turbo ramjets, both Pratt & GE designs – we had vehicles that went all the way from a Mach 4 deck-launched interceptor for the Navy to vehicles that went all the way up to Mach 12. These ended up in a study for NASA called the “Hypersonic Research Facilities Study”, which essentially was a comparison between ground-test facilities and flight-test facilities to see which ones give you the most information to build an operational high-speed aircraft. The flight-test vehicle won hands-down, because the ground-test facilities were so expensive, and they could only work on a fraction of the problem."

http://www.americanantigravity.com/documents/Paul-Czysz-Hypersonic-Interview.pdf

Who is Paul Czysz?

The forum search tool is your friend ;)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2867.0.html

So is Google!
http://www.americanantigravity.com/authors/74/Prof.-Paul-Czysz

Have missed the thread, Pometablava had pointed us to, but this design
seems to be remarkably similar to that from English Electric for ER.181T,
the EAG 4427, intended for strike/recce. Form follows function ?

Attachments

• EAG4427.GIF
    EAG4427.GIF
    54.8 KB · Views: 468
I'm still searching online as I write, but have a look at this, with some regard to the current topic:
Look at the 3rd posting. I never saw anything like it in the Navy.

Will continue 'Net surfing, but I might have something at home(somewhere?), because I remember learning about the topic before.
This one goes into waveriders in general, which might be sized up or down to suit requirements. (Advanced math is given, but Orionblamblam(reputed to be a rocket scientist) might be able to follow it. Two computer code listings at the end for reference.)

Okay, I now remember the title of the conceptual design was Peregrine.(?) A design team created it to be a deck-launched, hypersonic and manned interceptor. A triangular wing wave rider with, I believe, turbofan(s) and a ramjet for Mach 4. However, I can't find it on the 'Web now. I've downloaded a copy at home somewhere, but that won't help if the .PDF link in broken and unavailable now. I can look when I get home.

Lee said:
I'm still searching online as I write, but have a look at this, with some regard to the current topic:
http://filecabi.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17302
Look at the 3rd posting. I never saw anything like it in the Navy.

I should hope not. It's from the movie "Stealth."

These photos keep popping up like clockwork.

Don't want to be too picky, but isn't this the wrong subforum? I thought 'Naval Secret Projects' was for things that are ment to float or submerge...?

Lee - That NASA pdf links is impressive - lots of usefull waverider info.

Thanks

Fred

fredgell, quoted: "Lee - That NASA pdf links is impressive - lots of usefull waverider info. Thanks"

If you GOOGLE 'Scarlet I and II' + 'Ohio State', there are a couple more .PDFs that NASA archived on their server.
Scarlet I has 113 pp
Scarlet II has 80 pp

These are pretty big, so be warned.

Lee, could you please post the links to that pdf. I can't get it googling your words. I have tryed including "NASA" too but no matches are found.

Many thanks in advance

Antonio

pometablava, other members, the public,
Here they are:

Scarlet I Peregrin - Ohio State aerospace engineering design competition,

Scarlet II Hypersonic Reconnaissance Aircraft - Ohio State aerospace engineering design competition,

I admit I had to GOOGLE the names, 'ohio state' and then add 'hypersonic' to get these addresses.
I like them so well, I'll probably download both when I get paid on the 3rd of Apr. Sorry for the inconvenience.
NOTE: Caution, I'm composing this on a Pentium II at my Dad's place and he doesn't have a .PDF complier on the hard drive. It would take forever, anyway!
I checked the addresses twice and I hope they work. If not, I'll modify them later and correct them.
MODIFIED LATER as to spelling and correct .PDF NASA report address. They are correct and will run as of 31 Mar '08.

Via the McDonnell-Douglas Hypersonic projects from the 60s and 70s thread (h/t Mark Nankivil):
xd4c-53910-jul-68-jpg.74044