92.9 KB · Views: 147
  • RepublicTFX-18.jpg
    RepublicTFX-18.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 145
  • RepublicTFX-17.jpg
    RepublicTFX-17.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 149
big THX to "reelarchives" and Overscan

About Republic TFX Picture is this a Mockup or Prototype fuselage ?

Wow owner!!!
It's the first time for me to see such a detailed and clear Republic TFX proposal pictures.
Very exciting!!
Many thanks for sharing us.
We want to see detailed 3-side view drawing.
(Sorry reelarchives. I missed your post.)

Aside from the twin verticals, this rendering looks to me like an early Republic TFX. AFAIK, Republic was alone in favoring the split-wing VG arrangement, where only the upper half of the wing would swing back over the fixed, highly-swept lower half (as in the D-24 Alliance).

Could someone please confirm or deny my assumption?

This just in: you're looking at the TFX proposal from North American Aviation. This is confirmed with 100% certainty or your money back. Republic TFX Early sml.jpg

circle-5 said:
Could someone please confirm or deny my assumption?

Others examined the concept (some of the NASA SCAT concepts used roughly similar wings, and ISTR some Boeing designs), but Republic was kind of alone in seemingly obsessing over the concept.

The SCAT-15A: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=10472

If you see such a design, it's a safe bet it's a Republic design... or a NASA take on a Republic design.

Well actually, I now have irrefutable evidence from a well-connected source that this is a rendering of the elusive TFX proposal from North American Aviation! I wish I could post this evidence, but it's going into a book, so y'all have to wait a bit...

I will amend my original post.

Looks like the Republic TFX, though I haven't seen it with fins like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• L604697.png
    L604697.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 362
As SFerrin said, it's definitely the Republic TFX, though the twin tailed version is new to me.

With regard to the four engined jet, it's probably just a generic design to test various technologies with reference to a baseline configuration.

Sundog said:
As SFerrin said, it's definitely the Republic TFX, though the twin tailed version is new to me.

With regard to the four engined jet, it's probably just a generic design to test various technologies with reference to a baseline configuration.

We are both right, it is the TFX and it was an F-111 candidate.

There are still a few more documents on this one to come, such as this one which has further information on the various tail combinations tested.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720065529_1972065529.pdf

Attachments

• L616046.png
    L616046.png
    553.2 KB · Views: 285
  • L616049b.png
    L616049b.png
    122.5 KB · Views: 277
  • L616048.png
    L616048.png
    508.2 KB · Views: 239
  • L616049.png
    L616049.png
    533.1 KB · Views: 200
Graham, you posted the same pic twice. Did you mean for four different pics to be posted, or were there only three?

Circle-5, has this book been previously announced or a new one?

AL said:
Circle-5, has this book been previously announced or a new one?
No, it's a new book, in its early stages. I believe it will examine a number of specific DoD competitions, with previously unpublished renderings. I don't know anything else, but it should appeal to SPF members.

Some details make me think of an AMSA proposal from the latter part of the 1960s, but it looks somewhat smaller...

Stargazer2006 said:
Some details make me think of an AMSA proposal from the latter part of the 1960s, but it looks somewhat smaller...

And it also looks like something, how can I say, English-ish.....

After going through all 15 pages of this topic, what really strikes me is that NO image of Grumman's G-283 seems to have surfaced this far (the one in the first page is mislabeled and was correctly identified in later pages).

Has no-one even seen Grumman's original (pre-F-111B) TFX proposal?

Mark posted several Vought-Republic TFX images to this discussion back in 2008.
I found a few more that have a different canopy arrangement with a
larger windows for the RIO along with more glass up top. There is also a difference
in the number of missiles carried.

From the Vought Archives

bill

xRepublic-Vought-TFX-Model-4.jpg xRepublic-Vought-TFX-Model-5.jpg xRepublic-Vought-TFX-Model-6.jpg xRepublic-Vought-TFX-Model-7.jpg xRepublic-Vought-TFX-Model-8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos!

Circle-5 posted some pics of a model of this variant with additional glazing back in 2009

Yes Sir I see that now. I was too busy trying not to duplicate items Mark had previously posted that I missed those.

bill

Nice pics Bill S!

Are the carried missiles supposed to be Condors?

Thanks heaps Bill, they look great!!

Regards
Pioneer