• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Long road to the F-111: TAC, SOR.183, SDR 17, WS-324A, TFX

Bruno Anthony

I miss the Cold War
Reaction score
Does anyone have the SOR 183 Document? I'm curious to see what the original TAC only requirements were.

Dynoman

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I don't have the document, but these were some of the basic requirements of SOR 183 with the Navy requirements.

Attachments

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
I've always found it somewhat difficult at time to explain the failings of the General Dynamics F-111 design, even though it would later prove itself an effective strike/reccon platform. but recently listened to a podcast, and thought I'd share it with the forum!

Quote from Jeff Guinn re F-111
Q&A with Jeff Guinn – Aircrew Interview

In response to the question – ‘was the F-111 the right plane for the RAF?’, Jeff Guinn, an experienced F-111 pilot states:

"I don’t think the F-111 was the right aeroplane for anybody.
It was a great aeroplane, it was a great performer, but it’s original design was simply unachievable, and it’s almost an accident in a sense that it ever was as good as it became at what it did, and the reason I say this is because it was specified to do some things that we never did, weren’t useful in our role, and compromised the design of the aeroplane.
The requirements for the F-111 to go supersonic meant it had to have more fuel, because it had to have a range commitment to keep up with, so those things combined to make it heavier, at the same time it forced airframe design that wasn’t really the best design for the subsonic realm in which we nearly always worked, except when we were doing make-believe at Red Flag; and I think the [Blackburn] Buccaneer really was in summarise it wasn’t as modern an airplane, it didn’t have the range, the speed and some other things, but the Buccaneer or the [Grumman] A-6 [Intruder] maybe was even better if they could have been given some of the performance that we had [in the F-111] – a little bit more speed and the lower altitude TFR and things like that."

Regards
Pioneer

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I return to this topic to submit members two very probable identifications of model tested at langley during the TFX competition and previously noted as "unknown". It's my fault not having linked the model drawings with some very well known model photos :-[. In my defence I have to remark that no-one seems to having done it... ::) . Except Scott, regarding the Configuration 403. In eAPR V1N2 he correctily singles out the possibile identity, pointing out some difference in the cockpit area. I agree, but I think the rest of the plane is so siliar that probably that derives from some "tuning", either by NASA or Convair; or it could be a sub-configuration.
I'll repost the drawings with the correct (IMHO) identification.
First is General Dynamics/Convair Configuration 430. It is the first from the right in the well known photo of FGD TFX wind-tunnel model. the following three photos are of the model in the tunnel from different angles. And the fourth is a detail from a larger photos with a display model of same configuration. I think that the match is near to perfect, and such to allow certainity. See picture 7 for a slightly different configuration 430-like: slender and with different wingtips.
NASA have posted some pics of the "Convair TAC" windtunnel Test 174 in the 16 foot windtunnel:

L-61-854_Convair_Variable_Sweep_Test_174.jpgL-61-855_Convair_Variable_Sweep_Test_174.jpgL-61-856_Convair_Variable_Sweep_Test_174.jpg

Last edited:

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi! CL-590 mockup pictures.

Attachments

Skybolt

Reaction score
Hi! CL-590 mockup pictures.

Another couple of them, same source.

Cheers to everyone!

Attachments

Hood

Reaction score
Only this one is real picture of Boeing 818N
How are you defining real? Looks like a 3D CGI to me and certainly not a model (note the artificial lighting effects, complicated panel details and shading inside the panels and a 2-D flat arrestor hook!).

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's Josef Gatial, posting his own CGI model. I'll move to User Artwork section later.