• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Well that's also I suppose part of the question, although the 15 carries them on rails likesidewinders. The 22 has the 9x on rails. I amnot a military pilot but are there not limitations when not launching off rails like a bottle rocket?
The F-22 does not launch AIM-120s off rails. The F-15 does it both ways (rails and ejectors) depending on where it's mounted.

Capturexx.PNG

Last edited:

sferrin

Reaction score
Well that's also I suppose part of the question, although the 15 carries them on rails likesidewinders. The 22 has the 9x on rails. I amnot a military pilot but are there not limitations when not launching off rails like a bottle rocket?
The F-22 does not launch AIM-120s off rails. The F-15 does it both ways (rails and ejectors) depending on where it's mounted.

View attachment 637453
The 22 doesn't carry any missiles externally like the 15? Ever? Like when its carrying drop tanks? I know the 15 uses a mix of options for amraam. I am just asking if the amraam is a "dogfight" missile when not fired from rail. If its not then the 35 doesn't have a dogfight missile except externally carried. I don't type out everything on a tablet because it constantly screws up words. Recall 35 phot firing 9x while in a roll? That's a dogfight missile.
Forgot about F-22s carrying AIM-120s externally. Yes, they're rail launched in that condition. No, rail launch doesn't magically turn the AIM-120 into a dogfight missile. It has the same functionality whether it's rail launched or ejected.

Dreamfighter

Senior Something
Reaction score

View attachment 637453
The 22 doesn't carry any missiles externally like the 15? Ever? Like when its carrying drop tanks? I know the 15 uses a mix of options for amraam. I am just asking if the amraam is a "dogfight" missile when not fired from rail. If its not then the 35 doesn't have a dogfight missile except externally carried. I don't type out everything on a tablet because it constantly screws up words. Recall 35 phot firing 9x while in a roll? That's a dogfight missile.
Forgot about F-22s carrying AIM-120s externally. Yes, they're rail launched in that condition. No, rail launch doesn't magically turn the AIM-120 into a dogfight missile. It has the same functionality whether it's rail launched or ejected.
F-22A can carry AIM-120s externally, but it haven´t seen it yet except for testing.
When you´ve pics of the contrary, please share them.

BDF

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

rooster

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score

View attachment 637453
F-22A can carry AIM-120s externally, but it haven´t seen it yet except for testing.
Wikipedia has a pic.

Dreamfighter

Senior Something
Reaction score

View attachment 637453
Wikipedia has a pic.
I know that famous pic. It is one of the early aircraft testing an external loadout of 2 Amraams, it comes up on every site.
There are a few more pics around from that test, taken from different angles.
AFAIK, there exists also 1 pic (only?) of an F-22 testing an external load of 4 amraams. What I still haven´t seen during all these years , is an F-22 on a training sortie (not to speak of an operational mission) with external missiles and not during some carriage-testing.
I also know very well it is not very likely to happen on a real mission for reasons of stealth, but I´d like confirmation (by sight) that carrying external missiles (and preferably also firing them) on the F-22 actually progressed beyond some (minor/early) testing.

Last edited:

sferrin

Reaction score
AFAIK, there exists also 1 pic (only?) of an F-22 testing an external load of 4 amraams.
I must correct myself: It is with no less then 8 external amraams, and it is a ...¨PS-job of the F-22 with the 2 external amraams :rolleyes:
Do you honestly believe they wouldn't carry more if they needed to?

Ogami musashi

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
AFAIK, there exists also 1 pic (only?) of an F-22 testing an external load of 4 amraams.
I must correct myself: It is with no less then 8 external amraams, and it is a ...¨PS-job of the F-22 with the 2 external amraams :rolleyes:
Would be hard to find the source now, but some F-22 project manager said the external amraam will never happen because of some aerodynamics/stress problems. Or to be more precise, I think it was the second (outter) hardpoint that led to those problems.

Dreamfighter

Senior Something
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe they wouldn't carry more if they needed to?
I´d like to see confirmation the F-22 can indeed carry (and fire) them externally if it needed to operationally, without any issues or problems interfering with that. Or without someone having to say "the wing-stations were actually never activated, but we will do that when we get the F-22EX".
It popped to my mind, that in the past 23 years (F-22 EMD first flight 1997), I´ve only seen power-points and "performance charts" that state in combat configuration it can carry up to 4 amraams externally (on the outer wing stations), and about 2 or 3 pics of an (EMD) F-22A indeed carrying 2 amraams externally during a test-flight.

Dreamfighter

Senior Something
Reaction score
Don't you think that the F-22 thread is better to talk about that ? F-22 is not 6th generation fighter.
I wouldn´t mind if the mod would see it as appropriate to move the posts about external weapons on the F-22 to the F-22´s dedicated thread.