late cold war german mine warfare projects

Voltzz

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
i just found a pdf in Hungarian with information on two Bundeswehr mine warfare projects. Google translate is mediocre and the images are atrocious, but they seem to be the Skorpion mine laying system mounted on a Bv206 and the area defense mine "TARANTEL" build by Dynamit Nobel. i had never heard of the Bv206 used as a mine layer, and for both systems its the only picture i can find. Does anyone have any more information on these systems? Or on any other late cold war mine warfare projects of the bundeswehr? (Minenkampfsystem 2000/ DAVID)

Attachments

• 1992_4_05 Új nyugati aknák-aknazár koncepció - Haralyi.pdf
    681.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image-000.jpg
    image-000.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 194
  • image-003.jpg
    image-003.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 127

Found this in a quick google that mentions both Tarantel and Cobra briefly in connection with the Skorpion system:

Google's translation re: Skorpion
"The Bundeswehr is looking for an air-transportable mine launcher for the crisis reaction forces. DM 5.5 million are earmarked for development (AA, 1994b, p.7). The low development sum speaks for the intended recourse to a device already developed by companies. The Swedish manufacturer Hägglunds offers the Skorpion in a version reduced to 4 launcher units with 400 mines, which can be transported with the Bundeswehr's medium transport helicopter, the CH-53. However, there are also known considerations to mount mortar magazines on the loading area of Unimogs or light trucks (Soldat und Technik, volume 1, 1993, p. 61).

It is also not known at this time when this project will be financed."

Sounds like Tarantel and Cobra were wider area mines using the Smart 155 submunitions from later in the same study linked above.

Not sure how helpful.

Found this in a quick google that mentions both Tarantel and Cobra briefly in connection with the Skorpion system:
Thanks for the source
Interesting how often arms control advocates are the best source on weapon system
Both the Hungarian document and this report mention articles from Soldat und Technik as sources
Does anyone have access one of these issues?
Soldat und Technik 1992/2
Soldat und Technik 1992/8
Soldat und Technik 1993/1

This Croatian magazin has an article (page 62) on Minenkampfsystem 2000/DAVID but because of bad text recognition, translating it is a pain. but it has a nice concept image of a Polyphem launcher and a photo of the Dynamit Nobel AT2 mine being lauched from a UH-1D

Last edited:
If someone need translation on the above mentioned article; comments of the pictures are not included.
David against Goliath
Suggestions of concept defensive system DAVID are based not only on types of weapons already in use (armament) or development but also on future systems, which are not going to be available until end of (this) century.
With collapse of USSR European defense planers were set in front of a huge task of defining new defense concepts: old defense concepts with vanishing of the threat of possible numerous Varsaw-pact division invasion became surpassed. On future defense concepts will also have impact numerous reductions of military budgets of NATO members as well as paragraphs of CFE treaty on reduction of conventional forces in Europe.
All these events affected also united Germany, which will have to bring down its armed forces on 370.000 soldiers. Even though reorganization plans of German army in frame of program Heeresstruktur 5 are already in production(preparation), there are already visible some implications of future defense systems as well requests which have to be taken in consideration by procurers and producers of future weapons systems. Future weapons systems will have to achieve favorable relations between price and effectiveness, posses operational and strategic mobility (which can be achieved only by air transport) and be manned by smaller crew number. Also, these systems will be by their definition of defensive nature. Based on these priorities, in September 1990 three German consortiums comprised of military systems producers suggested to German MoD development of system called DAVID (Dynamische, Automatisiertes Verteidigungssystem mit Interaktiver Fürhrung und DV-Unterstützung). This dynamic, automated, computerised defense system is off-shot of Sperrsystem 2000, which streted in 1987 and temporarely called Minenkampfsystem 2000. On request of German MoD, which considered simultaneous cooperation with 17 companies initially engaged in system DAVID definition, three consortiums were established:
-ARGE DAVID, comprised of Diehl, Dynamit nobel,ESG, Honewell and Rohde Schwartz; without earmarked consortium leader,
-DA SA (Deutcshe Aeropsace)team, lead by company MBB, with Dornier and TST (former AEG) taking part,
-third consortium lead by Rheinmetall company, and participants Krupp Atlas Elektronik, SEL, Contraves (Stockach) and Texas Instruments (Freising).
At this moment DAVID is described as competition of ideas and concepts for research of possibilities of usage ineteligent mines on battlefields in next century. After competition of preliminary phase, two of three consortiums would continue with concept definition in frame of extended preliminary phase, where certain components of new system would be selected for future development.
Main tactical goal of future DAVID system is obtaining capability (reject-defense) mechanized assault using battle systems comprised of intelligent mines with as little as possible risking lives of own soldiers. Along with traditional role of blocking certain area, role of such mine system will be changed from providing combat support into active combatant. Final goal would be defense of Brigade emplacement area with battalion level forces equipped with DAVID system. Together with small number of soldiers key feature would air-lift capability. Main technical project challenge comes from C3 system and surveillance development, while weaponry and sensor systems development would not represent major issue. In DAVID assembly Command Battle Center would be connected with local surveillance points, from where mine would be remotely activated or deactivated. System would be comprised of modular components capable of rapid air deployment in areas where enemy attack is expected. suggestions of system DAVID concept are based not only on already existing weapons in use bat also on future system, which are not going to be available until end of century. For now, in DAVID following weapon system should be included: conventional mine type AT-2 equipped with remote controlled fuzes; mines like PARM-2 equipped with automated sensors and remote control; "dynamic mines"; mines for blocking wider areas (like multinational project Area Defense Weapon) equipped with multimode sensors, adjusted for top or side attack on armored vehicles; partially independent or remote controlled battle robots equipped with AT rockets/missiles or mines; mine launch systems; AT missiles guided through optic fibers; anti-helicopter and antipersonnel mines with different fuzes.
DAVID will be used for prevention of break-through of enemy forces, for surveillance and protection prearranged defense areas, for set-up of antitank obstacle IOT protect own forces.
Inspite many advantages which will come out of its entirely defensive role, DAVID system even in its most perfected configuration will not be completely free of certain problems (limitations). First, regardless how intelligent mines will be, there will be never 100% deactivated of all set mines in battle conditions. Big technological challenge is provision of reliable and safe communication link between mines in the minefield, mines and sensors and mines/minefields and operators in the Command Center. Existing mines will have to be equipped with appropriate interfaces, at least for one-way communication if two-way communication is to expensive. In its final form DAVID will be comprise as combination of weapons, sensors and computer assisted C2 system, which will alove one operator to substitute 50-60 soldiers.
In field of robotics German Mod is financing research in Dornier and ESG focused on determination of basic functions of combat robots, including autonomous movements and orientation, target acquisition, communication, bypassing obstacles etc. Terrain vehicle Mercedes G-wagen is used as platform for checking of different sensors, needed for performing whole array of expected tasks. When feasibility of basic functions will be proven, this vehicle will be equipped for tasks like reconnaissance or detection and removal of enemy minefields. But, use of combat robots within DAVID system can not be expected in near future, unless American technology development in this field is used, most likely as joint cooperative program with American companies.

(courtesy of Hrvatski vojnik, author Ivan Horvat)

found an ad by Dynamit Nobel with the same picture of the area defense mine, at least this confirms that the picture is real, it looked a bit fanciful. In the ad there is also a directional mine, that looks like an off-route-mine kit for the Panzerfaust 3. i had heard of that before, but this is the first picture i found.

Attachments

• nobelad.JPG
    nobelad.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 103
Interesting. Much of RAFG's support helicopter force would have been tied up to move mines about. (unfortunately don't have Air Staff and The Helicopter with me, it's in there).
Surprised to see that a Bv206 fits in a Sea Stalion. Could it fit in a Chinook? Did that influence the choice of Sea Stallion over Chinook?

Take a skilled driver to get it in!

Chris

Could it fit in a Chinook?
Yes.

Found another area-defense mine, this time from MBB. Its called LASSO but im not sure if its a directional mine or if it shoots a submunition into the air. Source:
Lasso, the battlefield robot folded in its lurking position in this picture, is currently under development at MBB.
Lasso, a 3rd generation "smart" scattering mine, can be mechanically deployed into the engagement area with the help of scattering weapon systems such as the Multi-Purpose Weapon 1 (MW-1) or dispenser-based standoff guided missiles. There, the robots lie dormant until awakened by their acoustic sensors. They then stand up and independently engage tanks entering their area of effect with a shaped charge projectile.

Attachments

• lasso.JPG
    lasso.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 90
BITS Report 95.1 - Deutsche Landminen - Eine Bestandsaufnahme
from this report:
Dynamit Nobel is the prime contractor for Panzerfaust 3, which is manufactured at EURODYN in Würgendorf, including ammunition and practice cartridges, under a contract dating from 1989. With Honeywell's SIRA sensor package, the Panzerfaust 3 can be used as an anti-tank guided mine (Wehrdienst 1179/1989 and 1181/1989).
Honeywell and Dynamit Nobel were also involved in the ARGES off-route mine, so it could be the same sensor package. ARGES used a variant of the LAW 80 and its sensor and tripod doesnt really look like the mine in the ad. I also dont know if its from the US or from Honeywells german subsidiary Honeywell Regelsysteme.

No problem, finding the pics was easy with you pointing at the website.

BITS Report 95.1 - Deutsche Landminen - Eine Bestandsaufnahme
from this report:
Dynamit Nobel is the prime contractor for Panzerfaust 3, which is manufactured at EURODYN in Würgendorf, including ammunition and practice cartridges, under a contract dating from 1989. With Honeywell's SIRA sensor package, the Panzerfaust 3 can be used as an anti-tank guided mine (Wehrdienst 1179/1989 and 1181/1989).
Honeywell and Dynamit Nobel were also involved in the ARGES off-route mine, so it could be the same sensor package. ARGES used a variant of the LAW 80 and its sensor and tripod doesnt really look like the mine in the ad. I also dont know if its from the US or from Honeywells german subsidiary Honeywell Regelsysteme.
found more information and a picture

Attachments

• SIRA.JPG
    SIRA.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 74
  • SIRA+PARM.JPG
    SIRA+PARM.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 37
Sounds like Tarantel and Cobra were wider area mines using the Smart 155 submunitions from later in the same study linked above.
Im having a really hard time finding any good sources on the Tarantel mine and its weird look confused me, so i finally had to resort to Patents. Luckily i found two(1,2) that seems to show the mine:
The purpose of the weird long spider legs is to keep the mine vertical independent of the ground it stands on and to potentially be able to incline the mine in the direction of the target to increase the range.
The part above the legs is the vertically ejected munition.
The sensors that trigger the ejection of the submunition seem to be external and connect to the mine by the cable labeled 10.
But i still dont know anything about the munition itself. The three little horns on top of the muntion shown both in the pictures and in the patents look like the sensors, but are they infrared or sound or MMW radar? And how does the munition modify its trajectory? Also the submunition looks nothing like SMArt, so maybe the BITS Report is wrong about that, although there are other sources that confirm that the Rheinmetall Cobra mine uses SMArt.

Attachments

• Tarantel1.png
    Tarantel1.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Tarantel2.png
    Tarantel2.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 55
and an photo of the Daynamit Nobel AT2 mine being lauched from a UH-1D
Dornier project for a helicopter mounted mine-dispersal system

Attachments

• DornierMSM.JPG
    DornierMSM.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 51
  • HelMi1.JPG
    HelMi1.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 53
  • HelMi2.JPG
    HelMi2.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 73
Not sure if this is technically a mine, but i think it fits anyway:
The 'Fire Salamander' was a Dynamit-Nobel Panzerfaust-3 remote-control quad mount

Attachments

• FireSalamander.JPG
    FireSalamander.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 82
i just found a pdf in Hungarian with information on two Bundeswehr mine warfare projects. Google translate is mediocre and the images are atrocious, but they seem to be the Skorpion mine laying system mounted on a Bv206 and the area defense mine "TARANTEL" build by Dynamit Nobel. i had never heard of the Bv206 used as a mine layer, and for both systems its the only picture i can find. Does anyone have any more information on these systems? Or on any other late cold war mine warfare projects of the bundeswehr? (Minenkampfsystem 2000/ DAVID)
Found an article with the original color versions of both of these images in Soldat und Technik 8/1992
I would guess this is the original source for the Hungarian article.
The article also mentions the Rheinmetall COBRA area-defence-mine but unfortunately doesnt provide a picture.
In the same issue there is also an ad by Dynamit Nobel showing all their mine projects including the TARANTEL and the ACEATM directional mine developed by a European ARGES consortium (Dynamit Nobel, Honeywell, GIAT, Hunting)

Attachments

• DynamitNobleMineAd.jpg
    DynamitNobleMineAd.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • Minenwurfsystemluftverlastbar.jpg
    Minenwurfsystemluftverlastbar.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 48
  • TARANTELfvm.jpg
    TARANTELfvm.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Found lots more pictures of the SKORPION system on the BV206

Attachments

• SkorpionBv206.jpg
    SkorpionBv206.jpg
    975.7 KB · Views: 33
  • LuftlandeSkorpion.jpg
    LuftlandeSkorpion.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 38
  • MinenwerferSkorpionHägglund.jpg
    MinenwerferSkorpionHägglund.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • Bv206CabrioSkorpion.jpg
    Bv206CabrioSkorpion.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • MinenwurfsystemBV206.jpg
    MinenwurfsystemBV206.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 60
Two Diehl ads from the early 90s for mine systems:
The first one shows an area-defence-mine named PAM (i would guess based on SMArt) and the Diehl entry for the ACEATM program. Diehl must have entered as part of a consortium with companies from France and Britain, but i cant find any information on those.
The second ad shows a Diehl concept for the Minenkampfsystem 2000 program. It includes a six barreled submunition launcher, and an area-defence-mine that looks much more like the Dynamit Nobel Tarantel than the Diehl PAM. This can be explained by Diehl and Dynamit Nobel being part of the same consortium (ARGE DAVID) for the Minenkampfsystem 2000.
Interestingly the concept art also includes a anti-helicopter mine.

Attachments

• DiehlMineAd.jpg
    DiehlMineAd.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 63
  • DiehlMinenkampfsystem2000ad.jpg
    DiehlMinenkampfsystem2000ad.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 63
The article also mentions the Rheinmetall COBRA area-defence-mine but unfortunately doesnt provide a picture.
Still havent found a picture of Cobra but Rheinmetall seems to have brought the concept back under the name Area Defence Weapon (ADW):
Towards the end of the Cold War the German Army was looking for a barrier concept to stop the mass of Soviet and Warsaw Pact tanks that might have attacked its borders, the main potential tank playgrounds being the Fulda Gap and the northern German planes. Beside standard antitank minefields, airmobile formations capable to funnel Red Army Operational Manoeuvre Groups into combat helicopter killing grounds, the idea of a barrier made of smart land-based mines able to attack the weakest point of an MBT, the top, started to appear. Nothing came to fruition, and the concept never became a product, financing being stopped in the late 1990’s when other types of missions became the bread and butter of most western land forces.

Since February 24th, 2022, things have consistently changed, and old ideas come back on the computer screen. It is the case of the ADW that is being developed by Rheinmetall Weapons and Munitions (RWM), and which was unveiled in late August at the RÜ.NET 2023 that took place in Koblenz, Germany. The system could be seen by a much wider audience two weeks later in London, at the DSEI 2023 exhibition.

Attachments

• RhenmetallADW.jpg
    RhenmetallADW.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 18