L. Janoir Aircraft & Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Mr. L. Janoir was a French pilot,and in 1911 he designed his first monoplane,maybe called J-1,he worked for Deperdussin
in 1912,and he went to Germany,but return and help the same designer again,and in 1914 left to Russia,he employed for
Vladimir Lebedev,maybe created the J-2 in there.

He returned again to France and formed Les Ateliers d’Aviation L. Janoir in 1916,during 1918,the J-3 was appeared,it
was a two-seat flying boat seaplane,powered by single engine,mounted seperately in a beam above the rear of the
fuselage,and in the same year he had a patent for seaplane similar to J-3,except a second engine was fitted in front
of the propeller,the single propeller was powered by both engines.

The J-4 was like J-3 but had a twin boom and powered by two engines,remained unfinished Project.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.png
    2.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 83
Hello,
I own two photos of an early flying boat that I'm unable to identify.
My first thought was that this could be of Japanese origin because of the big letter "J" on the tail, however the people on the photo definitely look European or American.
The tail looks a bit like the rear part of the Deperdussin Monocoque but that's speculation.
The engine seems to be a radial and not a rotary engine, the letter "J" on the tail is followed by three dashes or a Roman "3".
Regarding the car in the background the photo probably is from the 1920ies.
With the superstructure above the single pontoon the plane looks a bit like a modern version of the Curtiss A-2.

Is somebody here able to identify this flying boat or add some more information?

img946b.jpg img945b.jpg

Wow!
I'm overwhelmed by your fast answer!
So the "J" is for Janoir and the Roman 3 is for his third attempt.
Seems that I have dug out a treasure, I couldn't find any photo of any aircraft from Janoir in the www.
Many, many thanks for this!

Please note, the photos show different arrangement of the aircraft, particularly its upper wing.
In the first photo, there's a slot for the propeller in the forward part of the wing and the wing trailing edge seems to be continuous on the whole span, running over the fuselage.
In the second photo, the wing seems to sit lower than the top of the fuselage, with a cutout in its rear part for the fuselage and the propeller.

Hello Grzesio,

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. The two photographs seem to have been taken at the same place at the same time, and - to me - they show the same machine. It may be that the different lighting conditions and the different perspectives (darkish front quarter view, well-lit rear quarter view) has affected things. Admittedly, the close-coupled arrangement of the upper wing cut-out and the engine nacelle obscures getting a decent view of that part of the machine.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:
Last edited:
STOP THAT PIGEON!!!!

Attachments

• dastardly-and-muttley-in-their-flying-machines-min.jpg
    dastardly-and-muttley-in-their-flying-machines-min.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 26
Hello Grzesio,

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. The two photographs seem to have been taken at the same place at the same time, and - to me - they show the same machine. It may be that the different lighting conditions and the different perspectives (darkish front quarter view, well-lit rear quarter view) has affected things. Admittedly, the close-coupled arrangement of the upper wing cut-out and the engine nacelle obscures getting a decent view of that part of the machine.

Cheers,
Paul
You are right, in the 3rd photo, posted by Aerohydro, it can be seen, the wing trailing edge has a cutout for the fuselage indeed.