hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

The Kyushu J7W2 single seat jet interceptor project.

Attachments

• J7W2.jpg
    J7W2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 1,485
Is that the J7W2 or a J7W3? I've always seen the J7W2 as sharing the same fuselage structure immediately behind the canopy as the J7W1. I could see this one as a cleaned-up version.

I thought the jet J7W was an invention of Ted Nomura in the cartoon Luftwaffe-1946, in the late 1990s... are you sure your one is not a what-if? (as far as I am concerned, I don't care much, but I know many members here do care very much, rejecting anachronic dreams to focus on actual projects of the old years)...

Tophe said:
I thought the jet J7W was an invention of Ted Nomura in the cartoon Luftwaffe-1946, in the late 1990s... are you sure your one is not a what-if? (as far as I am concerned, I don't care much, but I know many members here do care very much, rejecting anachronic dreams to focus on actual projects of the old years)...

Hi Tophe,
the J7W2 is mentioned in Francillon's 'Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War', first published in 1970.
Francillon's book made extensive use of Japanese magazines from the 50s' and 60s, so it may be difficult to pinpoint when the J7W2 info was
first published.
The FAOW on the J7W published in 1978 also has info on the J7W2.

As Evan points out the more familiar renderings of the J7W2 show an aircraft much like the J7W1... no bubble canopy.
The bubble-canopy version strikes me as a rather 'Miranda-ish' creation.

Cheers, Jon

I admire works of the imagination. I just like to know which ones stemmed from the time and place when they might have influenced events or design developments.

IIRC, Hasegawa released a model of the jet version, if that lends any amount of credibility.

joncarrfarrelly said:
Tophe said:

Hi Tophe,
the J7W2 is mentioned in Francillon's 'Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War', first published in 1970.
Francillon's book made extensive use of Japanese magazines from the 50s' and 60s, so it may be difficult to pinpoint when the J7W2 info was
first published.
The FAOW on the J7W published in 1978 also has info on the J7W2.

As Evan points out the more familiar renderings of the J7W2 show an aircraft much like the J7W1... no bubble canopy.
The bubble-canopy version strikes me as a rather 'Miranda-ish' creation.

Cheers, Jon

My dear Tophe,

The J7W2 was a really project to japanese navy in my source.

The Nakajima J9N was also a really project developed from J8N
Kikka jet fighter.

I thought the J7W2 actual project was a slightly different J7W1, propeller-driven, while the jet J7W (coded J7W2 or else) was a fake, or at least a simple idea never illustrated in archive sources.

Tophe said:
I thought the J7W2 actual project was a slightly different J7W1, propeller-driven, while the jet J7W (coded J7W2 or else) was a fake, or at least a simple idea never illustrated in archive sources.

It was at least mentioned in Rene Francillion's book on Japanese aircraft and it's a straight-forward enough adaptation of the basic airframe. I can see a developed version with the cut down fuselage and clear canopy of late-model "Tony" variants.

According to my sources, the creator of the J7W Shinden, Captain Masaoki Tsuruno, envisioned his aircraft as using a turbojet from the outset. Of course, at the time, Japan had no such engine and thus, the Mitsubishi MK9D was used instead. However, his design work was done with a turbojet in mind so that when such a powerplant became available, the transition would not require significant changes. It is my opinion that the J7W2 would have simply been the J7W1 airframe with a turbojet installed. Perhaps an improved model might have the changes depicted in one of the illustrations here but that would have been down the road.

Tophe said:

Photo of Kyushu J7W1 Shinden from San Diego Air & Space Museum Archive.

Source:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdasmarchives/page288/

Attachments

• 7585523242_433197966a_o.jpg
    7585523242_433197966a_o.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 1,391
Source:
http://w.livedoor.jp/harmony-gold_japan/lite/d/%BD%C5%C5%C4%20%B1%D1%B9%D4%20%A4%C8%20SWS
http://forum.worldofwarplanes.eu/index.php?/topic/486-kyushu-j7w1-shinden/

Attachments

• J7W1_Shinden.jpg
    J7W1_Shinden.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 741
  • 7a3102fae2abb787.jpg
    7a3102fae2abb787.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 6602c19822fac4b2.jpg
    6602c19822fac4b2.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 1,248
A few more pics:

Attachments

• clippa-j7w5.jpg
    clippa-j7w5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 252
  • kyushu.j7w1.shinden.jpg
    kyushu.j7w1.shinden.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 243
  • J7W1 Shinden_.jpg
    J7W1 Shinden_.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 288
  • J7W1 Shinden-.jpg
    J7W1 Shinden-.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 316
  • after14.jpg
    after14.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 320
  • j7w-shinden-with-crew-posing.jpg
    j7w-shinden-with-crew-posing.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 301
  • after19sf6.jpg
    after19sf6.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 282
  • Shinden_3.jpg
    Shinden_3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 262
Some artwork (attachments #1-4) and two plans (attachments 5-6 in PDF):

Attachments

• J7W1 Shinden.pdf
    403.7 KB · Views: 161
  • main01-2.jpg
    main01-2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 257
  • kyushu_j7w-s.gif
    kyushu_j7w-s.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 56518704j7w1-jpg.jpg
    56518704j7w1-jpg.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Kyūshū J7W (1) Shinden - interceptor,fighter aircraft.jpg
    Kyūshū J7W (1) Shinden - interceptor,fighter aircraft.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 289
  • Kyushu J7W1 Shinden.pdf
    172.9 KB · Views: 163
Not quite the same aircraft, but the IJN planned on a jet development of the Shinden called the J7W2 Shinden-Kai, which never had a chance to materialize:

Attachments

• sindenkai.jpg
    sindenkai.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 505
  • J7W2 Shinden KAI.jpg
    J7W2 Shinden KAI.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 499
Please enjoy these movies using full screen mode.(push right bottom of the screen) :)

Shinden’s engine was Mitsubishi Ha43 type42(MK9D) forced air cooling 18cylinders radial engine with 2 stage 2 speed supercharger(two speed mechanical first stage+continuously variable speed second stage using hydraulic transmission(Vulkan coupling) or continuously variable speed first stage using hydraulic transmission(Vulkan coupling)+two speed mechanical second stage)(sorry I'm not sure. But I think perhaps later.), extended propeller shaft and methanol injection.(instead of intercooler)
By this engine, Shinden got large climb rate and high altitude performance. (Mitsubishi Senden and kawanishi 17-shi fighter were planned to use almost same engine.HA43(-41) with Vulkan coupling, but it's reliability was poor.) 
Bore : 140mm, Stroke : 150mm, Displacement : 41.55L, Diameter : 1230mm, Take off power : 2030hp(2900rpm), 1860hp(2000m/2800rpm), 1600hp(8400m/2800rpm)
Estimated Shinden's performance
Maximum speed : over 741km/h(8700m), Climb time to 10000m : less than 10.5 minutes, Service ceiling : over 12000m

Attachments

• Ha43 type42 engine.jpg
    Ha43 type42 engine.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 840
  • engine layout.jpg
    engine layout.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 812
  • exhaust nozzles.jpg
    exhaust nozzles.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 776
  • HA43_Model.jpg
    HA43_Model.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 622
  • Mitsubishi Ha43 Type 42 engine.jpg
    Mitsubishi Ha43 Type 42 engine.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 624
1. 7.9mm machine gun for the training or,13. Vulkan Coupling(Continuously variable transmission)26. Main wing body combination metal fittings
photograph gun14. Mitsubishi Ha-43 type42 Engine27. Super charger air intake
2. Rescue raft15. Air inlet for lubricating oil cooling28. Cowl flap
3. 30 mm type 17 cannon 16. Ejector exhaust pipe29. Body fuel tank
4. Anti bullet steel board (16mm)17. Extension shaft support cylinder30. Front wing flap lever
5. Anti bullet glass 70mm18. Mass balance31. Front wheel
6. Type 17 gunsight19. Sumitomo VDM six blade metal pusher prop32. Battery
7. Oxygen gas cylinder20. Tail light33. Cartridge storage box
8. Overturning protection support21. Wing light (RED)34. Rudder operation lever
9. Fireproof wall22. Mass balance36. Front wing
10. Oil tank23. Tail wheel for the propeller damage prevention
11. Pressure device24. Main wheel
12. Fuel injection25. Accumulated pressure machine
Many thanks Arjen! ;)

Attachments

• structure.jpg
    structure.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 551
German DB601N engine had a single stage continuously variable speed supercharger. Basically it's supercharger was 2 speed but between first speed and second speed were continuously variable speed using Vulkan coupling.
トルクコンバーター = Vulkan coupling
While V-1650(Rolls-Royce Merlin) engine had 2 stage 2 speed mechanical supercharger with inter cooler.

Attachments

• DB601N SUPERCHARGER.jpg
    DB601N SUPERCHARGER.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 414
  • DB601 SUPERCHARGER.jpg
    DB601 SUPERCHARGER.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 394
  • db601na.jpg
    db601na.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 409
  • V1650.jpg
    V1650.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 397
  • Vukan coupling.jpg
    Vukan coupling.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Suisei's Atsuta engine.jpg
    Suisei's Atsuta engine.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
  • Vulkan coupling.jpg
    Vulkan coupling.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 221
Shinden shape merits
1. When climb, fore wing generate lift while normal shape's tail wing generate inverse lift.
It's possible to design low drag light weight smaller main wing.
2. Low drag because main wing and fuselage are not exposed high speed propeller after stream.
3. Almost fuselage is full of equipments compared with normal shape, it's possible to design
smaller fuselage.(Fuselage shape especielly nose is clean,low drag.)
4. Good forward view.
5.It's possible to concentrate all armaments in effective nose part.
6.Stall characteristic is good.(Stall begin from fore wing and when stall begin, nose down naturally.)
7. Propeller efficiency is good.
8. It's easy to install jet engine. (I think that Shinden is an distant ancestor of Typhoon, Gripen and Rafale.) ;)
(It has potential to realize high speed, high altitude, agile and heavy armament interceptor.)
9. Good under view.
10. Engine guard pilot when receive attach from behind.
Shinden shape demerits
1.Take off and landing speed is high and need long runway because main wing is not exposed
high speed propeller after stream.
2. It's difficult to use high efficiency large diameter propeller.
3. In case of air cooling engine, it's hard to cool engine.
4. In case of escape, pilot is dangerous.
5. It's impossible to discharge spent cases of 30mm cannon from the aircraft which destroy
propeller.
6. Pitch and yaw stability is weak.
7. Elevator is sensitive.
8. Rudder response is poor.
9. Nose gear is long and weak.
10. Extended propeller shaft vibration.
11. Need counter measures for propeller torque.
12. It has weight increase possibility.(Long nose gear, extended propeller shaft,etc)
13.Very cold in winter or high altitude flight, because engine locate behind the pilot.
14. Engine hit the pilot when crush landing.
Shinden's armaments were 4×30mm 17-shi(5-shiki) cannon which had 60 warhead each.
Length : 2218mm, Weight : 80kg, Warhead initial speed : 750m/s, shooting speed : 350/minutes,
Case weight : 650g, Warhead weight : 350g, Explosive weight : 37g.
No2 and No3 Shinden were under construction at the end of the war.
Shinden No3 to No5's engine were power increased Mitsubishi HA43-43 engine which have different first stage supercharger(Single supercharger which avoid HA43-42's left side supercharger.)
From No8 Shinden, HA43-44 engine(single stage 3 speed mechanical supercharger) was planned to use, because Vukan coupling was hard to manufacture and use in Japan at the day. (Vulkan coupling was also used for Hien's HA40(DFB601) engine).
Shinden mass production model were planned to use wide and simple 4 blades propeller.

I did not know the production version was to have a 4 blade propeller. I really like the 6 bladed prop, very cool! :) the Ki-93 also had 6 blade props as did the prototype Ki-94-II. You have to wonder at what point is more propeller blades overkill though. The 5 blade prop was used in versions of the Spitfire so maybe 5 is the practical and useful limit. Maybe someone with an engineering background could shed some light on this...

Blackkite, do you know if the production Shinden with the 4 blade prop was to be the same diameter as the prototype's 6 blade?

windswords said:
Blackkite, do you know if the production Shinden with the 4 blade prop was to be the same diameter as the prototype's 6 blade?

Yes it is. 4 blades propeller's diameter was 3.4m same as 6 blades propeller.
Area of each blades of 4 blades propeller is 50% larger than 6 blades propeller.

Variable pitch mechanism of 6 blades propeller is too complex for mass production Shinden.

Another disadvantage of the Shinden was the huge torque of the single propeller which couldn't be corrected via rudder like in normal front propeller aircrafts. The solution - although mechanically more complex - would have been a contra-rotating prop which also would have allowed a smaller prop diameter for the same engine power.

Hi Basil! You are right. :)
When Shinden's first flight, she inclined 10 degree when climb.
But contrary rotating propeller was too complicated, too.
The IJN and Kyushu aircraft gave up to use this mechanism and try to apply another solution.

The tests showed that the biggest problem was the pull to the right on the fuselage caused by the
large torque. Various counter-measure were applied; for example, the attachment angle of the
front wings was raised 3 degrees, and as the tendency was strongest at low gear and when the
flaps were down, the lowered flap angle was raised 35 degrees. And so for the time being, steps
had been taken to fix the problem.

Attachments

• Shinden 3-side view.jpg
    Shinden 3-side view.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 389
Thanks for the additional information, blackkite. Concerning contra-rotation - as far as I know there were several Japanese project employing contra-rotating propellers.

Yes for example Kyofu prototype, Fugaku, etc. But they had tractor configuration.
Later Kyofu became simple propeller and Nakajima studied single propeller Fugaku.
I think Shinden with contra-rotating propeller is very exciting, too. ;)
We hope Shinden restoration in the U.S.Washington D.C. B)

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19600333000