Korean KTX-II early concept with BAe

Found a drawing of the early KTX-II concept at Flug Revue May 1994

Attachments

• KTX-II early.jpg
    KTX-II early.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 537
Attached picture is taken from "T-50 - endless challenge" written by Younghoon Chun, chief engineer of KAI T-50.

BAe's Supersonic Hawk proposal was a last-ditch effort to snatch part of South Korea's KTX-2 program, which gave birth to the T-50, from Lockheed.

The time and budget to do the work were proposed to be 9 years and 730 million at 1993 dollar value.

Attachments

• supersonic-hawk.JPG
    supersonic-hawk.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,354
Very interesting.... powered by an EJ-200, new radome, fuselage plug, new wing and intakes.

Interesting to see what the projected performance was.

I wonder whether this is the aborted Hawk 2000 concept I outlined in another thread? It would roughly date from the same timeframe, perhaps a year or so after the initial design was outlined. If not the Hawk 2000 concept then certainly it was based on such work.

Hood said:
I wonder whether this is the aborted Hawk 2000 concept I outlined in another thread? It would roughly date from the same timeframe, perhaps a year or so after the initial design was outlined. If not the Hawk 2000 concept then certainly it was based on such work.

I bet they must have been related.

Here a picture showing a model of the Samsung KTX-II at the Asian Aerospace show in Singapore, 1994.

Source: Luftwaffenforum, 03-1994, page 16

Attachments

• Samsung_KTX-II_project_model_Luftwaffen-Forum_03_1994_page16_1020x298.png
    Samsung_KTX-II_project_model_Luftwaffen-Forum_03_1994_page16_1020x298.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 441
Design work on the KTX-2 began in 1992 with support from Lockheed as part of the F-16C/D offset deal. From the Flight report in Hesham's initial post it looks as though Rockwell were also involved.
The design in the pictures shown in this thread interestingly show a high-mounted wing, the original design had a mid-mounted with but otherwise looked identical.

Samsung had sought partners and Dassault and Daimler-Benz as well as BAe were possible contenders for co-operation.

The KTX-2 had a wingspan of 7.8m (25ft 7in), length 13.7m (45ft), planned max speed of Mach 1.4 and range with max fuel 1,850nm (1,150 miles).

Source: Brassey's World Aircraft & Systems Directory, 1996-97.

Hyundai proposed MAKO as other candidates of KTX-II.

Finally, KTX-II was decided as F-16 based F404 engined trainer.

Ironically, Samsung, Hyundai, and Daewoo are combined as KAI when Korea suffered economic crisis at end of 1990's

Attached picture is taken from "T-50 - endless challenge" written by Younghoon Chun, chief engineer of KAI T-50.

BAe's Supersonic Hawk proposal was a last-ditch effort to snatch part of South Korea's KTX-2 program, which gave birth to the T-50, from Lockheed.

The time and budget to do the work were proposed to be 9 years and 730 million at 1993 dollar value.
Well done on finding this lost design

Well done on finding this lost design
Thanks for a warm welcome