Kharkov (Kharkiv) Aviation Institute (KhAI) aircraft and projects

Maveric

Fight for yor Right!
Reaction score
KhAI-17. The first post-war flying aircraft Kharkiv aviation institute became HAI-17. In 1957 a group of students, which decided on its own to design and build a small sports plane, organized the club, which led VV Reshetnikov. In work on the draft aircraft provided assistance to students associate professor L. Arson. Chief Designer O.K. Antonov supported enthusiasts. The company, which he guided, highlighted the production area, where the aircraft was built and HAI-17 (Fig. 317).

KhAI-17 - single cantilever nizkoplan. Motorcycle engine F-61K capacity of 30 hp (22 kW) located outside the cab driver and was fitted with a screw air chetyrehlopastnym variable step. The waste part of the fuselage beam construction. Chassis three.

In spring 1959, HAI-17 was raised in the air VV Reshetnikov. The tests showed that with the mass flight 352 148 2300 m.

The work of students going tradition 1930 - ies. Proved very necessary. The Council instructed the Institute associate professor PV Dybskomu organize HAI Student Design Bureau (SDB). Under the leadership of V. Reshetnikova - the first chief and chief designer SKB - were designed "Regulations" and "Charter" SKB HAI. In May 1959, the first in Ukraine SKB began its work. Ten students, participants in the design and construction of an aircraft HAI-17, received the Medal for the best scientific work student USSR. "

KhAI-18. In 1960, under the leadership of V. Reshetnikova in SKB HAI was started designing a double training aircraft HAI-18. Outwardly HAI-18 resemblance to its predecessor HAI-17. This cantilever with a low-wing monoplane large extent, pushing propeller and tricycle landing gear. Base material - wood. Places student and instructor stationed on each other. Managing double. It was assumed that with the motor cycle engine power of 50 hp (36.8 kW) HAI-18 will be the speed of 210 km / h ceiling 4250 metres and the mass flight of about 500 kg.

In 1962, a detailed project designed HAI-18 was handed over to one of aviazavodov, but has not been built.

In the work on the project, students participated Gaydachuk V., A. Kurilin, V. Leibow, S. Reshetnikova, L. Starikov, etc. They also began to manufacture aircraft at the aircraft, but due to lack of engine, it was decided to redesign existing aircraft under M-332 engine.

KhAI-19 - the second plane, built in the SKB (Figure 318). Designing and building it had been implemented for three months in 1961, Chief Designer - Head SKB VV Reshetnikov. We students have participated B. Zaslavsky, Gotenkov S., A. Sazonkin, V. Lyushnin, S. Reshetnikova, etc. The first test flight at HAI-19 fulfilled VV Reshetnikov.

After several successful flights in 1962-1963 he was. aircraft shown at the Exhibition of excellence Ukrainian SSR.

KhAI-19 - single cantilever nizkoplan tselno-wood construction. With its construction aggregates used crashed HAI-17.

Truss fuselage with a rounded upper fairing. Wing - odnolonzheronnoe with plywood boots - zakrylkami equipped with a slot type. Sheathing wing linen. Motorcycle engine M-16K equipped with a pressure regulator and an air chetyrehlopastnym propeller. Chassis managed to bow three-wheel. Track chassis 1.2 m base - 1.7 m.

KhAI-20 - next work SKB HAI. The aircraft was designed in 1963 Major designers and managers work - VP Lyushnin and VV Reshetnikov. Above the creation of aircraft operated Gaydachuk V., A. Gontar, A. Olefer, L. Starikov, G. Chub, A. Pilnyak, S. Reshetnikova, etc.

Based HAI-20 aircraft (Figure 319) was taken as a double draft HAI-18, which was redesigned in single engine F-332.

KhAI-20 - cantilever with a low-wing monoplane, pushing propeller and tricycle nose landing gear. The basic material - wood, used as plastic and metal.

Semi-fuselage design. In the front part - the pilot's cabin with removable lantern. And center fuselage is a single entity.

A wing consists of a trapezoidal shape and center consoles. Removable odnolonzheronnoy console design with a torque working styles and polotnyanoy plywood sheathing. These constructions are the same for the tail of feathers and all steering surface. Dvuhlonzheronny center, fully painted plywood. Flap gap located at the center and consoles. Ailerons with aerodynamic compensation.

The aircraft installed aviation engine M-332 (CSSR), chetyrehtsilindrovy, cylinder, air-cooled, 140 hp maximum power (103 kW). Engine secured to the fuselage in the vicinity of the carcass center. Vint pushing, the metal changed step, the reverse.

The Office of mixed aircraft. Rucka management and pedals are connected with the steering traction surfaces and cables. Office zakrylkami wire. Pedals through three additional traction and turning associated with the nasal backbone chassis.

In autumn 1967, HAI-20 has a cycle factory tests. The first plane lifted into the air, one of its founders G. Chub. The test flight took place at an altitude of up to 300 metres, confirmed the estimates. Overall raid on the HAI-20 was 15 h.

...thanks again Stingray, great work...
Do you have a complete designation list from the Charkov Institute, I believe the ChAI.35 was the last?
If you can please post a pic or drawing from the ChAI.18 ;D

Thanks a lot

Servus Maveric

Maveric said:
If you can please post a pic or drawing from the ChAI.18 ;D

Servus Maveric
KhAI-18 unbuilt 2-seat version KhAI-17 (1962)
... alas only in poor quality

Attachments

• KhAI-17..jpg
    KhAI-17..jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,637
  • KhAI-17.jpg
    KhAI-17.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,597
  • KhAI-18.jpg
    KhAI-18.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,549
i suppose now name of of Kharkow is Ksamc :
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/ukraine/ksamc.htm

airman said:
i suppose now name of of Kharkow is Ksamc :

In Russian it is KhGAPP (ХГАПП).
But it isn't related with KhAI. It's a plant which produces Antonov aircraft.
KhAI is Kharkov Aviation Institute, and a designation of aircraft designed and built there.
The only connection between KhAI and KhGAPP/KSAMC is that both organizations are placed in the city of Kharkov.

Thank you my dear Richard,

and here is anther PDF speaks about the Kharkov
KhAI-21 as it was also a light helicopter,that PDF
tells about many gliders and little known aircraft.

Attachments

• 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,640
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,624
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,622
  • 42.jpg
    42.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,614
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,629
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,613
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,636
The last two had no real connection to Kharkov, they are Luigi Colani's works.

The last photo is not KhAI-48 and KhAI-36 - a full-size copy of the M-9 seaplane design DP Grigorovich

Hi guys. Here's another Kharkov aircraft, the KhAI-24:

Attachments

• KhAI-24.jpg
    KhAI-24.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 268
  • image016.jpg
    image016.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 241
  • ???-24 ?????? 33 1966.jpg
    ???-24 ?????? 33 1966.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 237
  • ???-24 ?? 12 1967-02.jpg
    ???-24 ?? 12 1967-02.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 242
Hi,

here is the KhAI-27 ultra-light helicopter.

Attachments

• KhAI-27.jpg
    KhAI-27.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 535
igor-mich said:
The last photo is not KhAI-48 and KhAI-36 - a full-size copy of the M-9 seaplane design DP Grigorovich

This reply is not quite clear I'm afraid. Is it a photo OF the KhAI-36? Was the KhAI-36 "a full-size copy of the M-9 seaplane design DP Grigorovich"?
Please clarify for us. Thanks!

By order of the Odessa film Studio for the shooting of the feature film «Start» of the youth of Korolev in 1981 under the leadership of Г.Хмыза built double seaplane - a full-size copy of the flying boat M-9 D.P. Grigorovicha . In June 1982 on the shootings in Odessa M-9 has several dozens of flights.

From Krtl'ya Rodine 1/1994,

here is the KHAI-60 light aircraft,but I don't know if was actually built or not ?.

Attachments

• KhAI-60.png
    KhAI-60.png
    231.1 KB · Views: 531
  • 60.png
    60.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 498
Yes, it was built, but there is almost no information

16.jpg

http://www.aviajournal.com/arhiv/1996/07/01.html

Silencer1 said:
In the book 'Aviation in Ukraine" (by V.Savin, 1995) there has been chapters, covering the projects and prototypes, developed in KhAI and other Ukrainian small design groups.
The table with specifications (on Russian) looks like this:

P.S. There were some pictures and descriptions of these aircraft in the book. If anyone interested, could scan it and place in this topic/

Thank you silencer very much and great find,

for Kharkov,I have most of them,but if you can send those drawings or pictures; KhAI-23,26,28,31,
32,33,34 & 37.

Postwar aircraft and project of Kharkov Aviation Institute (KhAI) students.
(from the book Savin "Aviation in Ukraine", 19954)

In 1947, under supervision of professor I.G. Neman the section for real aircraft designing has been established in KhAI' Department of Aircraft Structures (later it transformed to Students' Design Bureau).

KhAI-11 - one of the first students' project. Experimental tailless glider, intended for studying of the stability of spilt wing with automatically controlled flaps. Project of wooden 30-degrees swept wing has been designed by student I.M.Sukhanov, under supervision of S.I. Kuzmin. This work has been planned as a basis for high-speed flying-wing development.

KhAI-12 - In 1949, to fulfill the previously announced DosAv' (Voluntary Society of Assistance to Aviation) competition' requirements, students Yu. I. Alekseev and Ye.S. Kulaga, under supervision of teacher L.D. Arson developed project of KhAI-12 'Start" light sporting-aerobatic aircraft - classic single-seat monoplane with M-14 engine.

KhAI-13 - Later in KhAI, under supervision of S.I. Kuzmin, student L.A. Kolyesnikov developed aerobatic single-seater KhAI-13 "Gymnast". Aircraft, intended to perform all aerobatics figures, has been developed in two versions: all-wood ("Gymnast") and all-metal ("Gymnast-M")

KhAI-14 - In 1950, to next DosAv' competition, student A.Ya. Min'kov developed project of KhAI-14 "Orlyonok" (Eaglet) light sporting single-seater with retractable undercarriage.

In 1951-53 under DOSAAF (DosAv replacement) assignments in KhAI have been also designed projects of record-breaking glider, piloting-aerobatic glider, light liaison aircraft. Despite that none of this project have been built, they became a good school for students, allows them to acquires of real designing skills.

In 1955-57 two projects of gliders have been prepared - one high-performance, aerobatic, other - training two-seater version of BRO-9 glider.
(In my humble opinion, these designs could have numbers, filling the gap between 14 and 17, although, the books didn't mention this - Silencer1)

KhAI-17 - sporting aircraft, first flight 1959.

Attachments

• KhAI aircraft 17-36.jpg
    KhAI aircraft 17-36.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 162
  • KhAI projects 12-13-14.jpg
    KhAI projects 12-13-14.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 548
  • KhAI-11 project.jpg
    KhAI-11 project.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 564
Amazing work my dear Igor,

and also we have anther topic for Kharkov projects and aircraft;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11427.msg108640.html#msg108640

KhAI-60 photo from Internet-auction Molotok.ru

http://molotok.ru/foto-samolet-hai-60-240h180-i4998479990.html

It's still on sale!

Attachments

• KhAI-60.jpg
    KhAI-60.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 161
hesham said:
here is the KHAI-60 light aircraft,but I don't know if was actually built or not ?.

Granit said:
Yes, it was built, but there is almost no information

Silencer1 said:
KhAI-60 photo from Internet-auction Molotok.ru

Actually the aircraft was called the "60 лет ХАИ" (or literally "the KhAI of the 60 years") to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the Kharkov Aviation Institute.

It seems the "KhAI-60" designation was given later on as an afterthought.

Tme to display some Kharkov types, both built and unbuilt, all previously unseen in this topic:
  • The KhAI-48, a two-seat high-wing sport aircraft with pusher engine.
  • The KhAI-49, an experimental autogyro improved from the KhAI-43 design.
  • The KhAI-70, a small twin-engine low-wing tourism aircraft project.
  • The KhAI-90, a small twin-engine high-wing passenger aircraft project
  • The KhAI-92, a twin-engine 19-passenger business jet project.
  • The KhAI-112, a UAV used for agricultural purposes.
  • The KhAI-150, a twin-jet 150-passenger high-wing airliner project.

Attachments

• KhAI-92 CG model.jpg
    KhAI-92 CG model.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 129
  • KhAI-112_photo1 small.jpg
    KhAI-112_photo1 small.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 106
  • KhAI-112_photo2 small.jpg
    KhAI-112_photo2 small.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 100
  • KhAI-150 CG model.jpg
    KhAI-150 CG model.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 120
  • KhAI-90 side view  small.jpg
    KhAI-90 side view small.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 106
  • KhAI-70 (CG model 2).jpg
    KhAI-70 (CG model 2).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 97
  • KhAI-70 (CG model 1).jpg
    KhAI-70 (CG model 1).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Avtozh__HA_-49_v_pol_ot_.jpg
    Avtozh__HA_-49_v_pol_ot_.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 87
  • KhAI-48_002 small.jpg
    KhAI-48_002 small.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 86
  • KhAI-48_001_small.jpg
    KhAI-48_001_small.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 117
Hi,

here is a Kharkov VTOL Project.

https://www.khai.edu/csp/nauchportal/Arhiv/OIKIT/2015/OIKIT69/p65-74.pdf

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    153.8 KB · Views: 410
Ekranoplan / WIG Project - Urgent Help!

Hi to all!

While searching about ekranoplan projects I found this one on this specific image. I urgently need more info and material about it. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-19-02-18-34.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-19-02-18-34.png
    798.9 KB · Views: 380
  • TiV2008_01_05.jpeg
    TiV2008_01_05.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 335
Re: Ekranoplan / WIG Project - Urgent Help!

Hmmm... Thx for sharing. Never saw that design before. Looks like a design influenced by German designer Luiggi Colani. But it does not seem to originate from him (I just checked). The article seems to be generic, and showcases Ekranoplans from various designers including Lippisch, as it seems.

A.

Re: Ekranoplan / WIG Project - Urgent Help!

Article showcases various designs from KhAI - Kharkiv Aviation Institute in USSR era (now National Aerospace University).
This specific WIG is most likely a students' industrial design effort not unlike those Colani 'design in the name of design' works.
You can try to contact NAU staff here
https://www.khai.edu/en/site/contacts.html

The KhAI-20.

L+K 2/1971

Attachments

• 1   2-1971.png
    1 2-1971.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 154
From Авиационное обозрение 1,

I found this strange aircraft maybe a Project,as Google translate,it was from Kharkov ?.

Attachments

• a-a.png
    a-a.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 121
  • a.png
    a.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 117
Project of the OKB Experiment, it was designed to have great landing and take-off characteristics, view from the cockpit 360°, and versatility. Multiple-seat two-engined machine with heavily mechanized wing. Prepared were trainer patrol and other variants with both wheeled and ski undercarriage. Bureau also had other projects of motor hang gliders and others.
the whole text is some oldadvertisement for the OKB Experiment bureau. And yes, it is part of KhAI.