Japanese airliner dreams/projects

T-50

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi dear members of this forum many is known about German projects about airliners like the FW-300 and Junkers designs for long range aircraft ,and offcourse the Dornier flyboat designs.
But my question is did the Japanese also have projects of their own,I cant imagine they didn't.
Because they developed prototypes such as the Tachikawa Ki-77 and Ki-92 airliner/cargo aircraft,the first was mend to fly to Germany (Ki-77)
I'm very curious of other Japanese aircraft company's like Mitsubishi or Nakajima and not to forget Kawasaki had their own projects of an long range airliner.
I believe Mitsubishi was actually working on a airliner (not the converted Ki-21 bomber)when Nakajima and Kawasaki began developmend of their Zprogram bombers (Nakajima G10N Fugaku and Kawasaki their competitor to Fugaku) they have the technologic howknow to build a civil long range airliner.
I hope some one has info/drawings of projected Japanese airliners
regards T-50

In researching the Fugaku project, no plans for a post-war airliner were entertained. A military transport was envisioned, capable of carrying 300 soldiers, which was one infantry rifle company with a heavy weapon platoon.

The Ki-91 also was designed as a bomber, not with any aspirations for a post-war airliner.

The only reference to a military project turned airliner that I reviewed was the Kawanishi K-200 flying boat.

Hi Pelzig thanks for the info I didn't know that the Japanese had plans for an cargo version of the Fugaku,do you have artist impressions of this rare version?
I'm also curious to the Mitsubishi project,it was in excision that the only thing I know.
Do you know something of this aircraft ?,are there drawings/artist impressions of this aircraft?
cheers T-50

I've seen no artist impression of the transport version of the Fugaku or even if Nakajima laid down a design plan for it. That it was suggested is very much known.

I'm afraid I've done no research on civilian aircraft and have no information on any Mitsubishi airliner.

T-50 said:
Hi Pelzig thanks for the info I didn't know that the Japanese had plans for an cargo version of the Fugaku,do you have artist impressions of this rare version?
I'm also curious to the Mitsubishi project,it was in excision that the only thing I know.
Do you know something of this aircraft ?,are there drawings/artist impressions of this aircraft?
cheers T-50

T-50

It would be of great help if you mentions the
sources where you have your information from about the unbuilt
Japanese WWII giants...

Hi Lark the info about the projected Mitsubishi is coming from the magazine aeroplane(2004)
its concerning about experimental transports,they describing types like the Tachikawa Ki-92 and
a little known project as an competitor to the Ki-92 the Mitsubishi Ki-97.
Because this article triggers my curiously if the Japanese had more and bigger aircraft project in development.
it describes the aircraft as an two engined aircraft with a streamlined nose like the Tachikawa Ki-77
cheers T-50

I quickly knocked up this N10N possible cargo/pax variant. I put in a cargo door as I would have guessed that there would be a need for such an arrangement. I must add that this is totally speculative in regards to what it may look like, or if it exists
N10N GA.jpg

Last edited: