• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

ICBM carrier

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well known as a proposed ICBM carrier is the Boeing 747. Nevertheless
Boeing also promoted some different designs during the 1970s, e.g. purely
land based four and six engined aircraft, with a maximum take-off weight
of up to 680.000 kg and 24 hours loitering time, with a 180.000 kg payload.
Another proposal was or an amphibian (!) aircraft with a MTOW of 395.000 kg
and a payload of 90.000 kg.

(From Aviation Week, February 1974)

Antonov designed a version of the An-22 as an ICBM carrier, designated An-22R,
too, but still yet, I've seen no picture of it. Perhaps somebody else ? What I
know is, that the An-22Sch with it monstrous back and tail WASN'T a missile carrier !

Attachments

styx

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Very interesting, i read on an italian publication that initial deployement studies for the Minuteman contemplated also a sort of autonomous flight uav.

Skybolt

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Uh, look out in a post in a few hours. I'm completing the scans...

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
"The An22's payload would have been launched upwards?"

As Boxkite told me, at least in one publication it was said, that
the An-22R would have carried three R-27 ICBMs, normally carried
on submarines, which should have been launched vertically in flight.
But the enormous tail was characteristical for the Sch version, not
necessarily for the R !
Let's wait for Skybolt !

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
An-22R (Raketny-Missile), strategic airborne missile complex. Was intensively studied in 1969-1970 in OKB-473 together with TzAGI, NII AS and other Ministery of Aviation Industry units. Shoud carry, as one of variants, three R-27 missiles (article 4К10 to defeat ground targets or article 4K18 to defeat CVBGs) in vertical silos (missiles firings would step forth of upper fuselage). No images released yet.

-Sh of course was never intended to fire missiles. As of interest, this pronounced 'bulb' was 9,6 meters in diameter.

Skybolt

Reaction score
Using airplanes (big and not so big ones) to carry or carry and launch ICBM has a rather long and winding story. I've not be able to find any such concepts at the very start of the ICBM history (sorry, no UAV carrying Minutemen), but already in 1964 the Aerospace Corporation (a sort of competitor of RAND) in its broad Golden Arrow study on the future of land-based ICBMs devised at least two concepts. The second I'll leave to another post since it is not strictly an ICBM launcher. The first was for a air transportable system, based on C-141 used to continously lifting two Minuteman complete with their erector-launchers from a base to another in the CONUS. Nothing happened and the ait-mobile ICBM seemed to fall out of fashion: the 1967 Strat-X study covered a lot of different options for basing ICBM, EXCLUDING the air-mobile one.
In 1973 the wind changed, under the influence of Gen. Otto Glasser, Deputy Chief of Staff for Research and Development, who had worked with the famous Gen. Schriever, father of many of the innovations within USAF. Actually Lockheed had designed and proposed in 1970 a C-5 based missile launcher carrying three Poseidons, called Greyhound, but Poseidons were Navy things...
Between 1973 and 1976 a score a proposals followed. The Boeing ones described above were presented in 1974 at an AIAA conference by Ben T. Plymale, then vicepresident and general manager of the Rockets and Missiles Division of Boeing. MDD followed suit, with a 1975 proposed DC-10 conversion illustrated below. It carried two missile larger than the Minuteman and based on the 93-inches configuration of MX. But already in 1973 the Aerospace Corporation had studied a large number of configurations of ICBM carriers and launchers. Four of them are illustrated below. But there were many more. I discovered traces of: again C-5s, heavy-lifts helicopters, rocket-equipped platforms, shuttle versions (Scott has this), towed gliders, airships, both traditional (both blimp and rigid by Goodyear) and hybrid, stretched versions of FB-111 and specialized versions of the B-1. The DoD wasn't so enthusiastic about the concept of an air-mobile ICBM but left open the door. The Carter administration closed it, at least until late 1978, when the concept resurfaced in the midst of the "decision process" on the basing mode for the MX. This time it was proposed as a carrier aircraft a stretched version of the AMST called C-1XA, carrying a single MX and able to air launch it. It was envisioned a fleet of 150 aircrafts dispersed between some 4600 airfields in CONUS.
Last air launched ICBM concept I know about is from 1981, early in the Reagan administration. The Townes Panel, convened to again offer counsel on the MX basing stated that the preferred one would a continously airborne patrol. In parallel, SecDef Weinberger endorsed a two-pronged air-basing. Short term a fleet of Cargo 747 or C-5 would shift the MX and their erector-launcher between airports. Long term, the missile would have been transported and launched in the air by a new Boeing-designed aircraft, the Big Bird, illustrated below. This was a huge beast, as you can see. It was propelled by four turboprops.

Attachments

sferrin

Reaction score
Skybolt said:
Using airplanes (big and not so big ones) to carry or carry and launch ICBM has a rather long and winding story. I've not be able to find any such concepts at the very start of the ICBM history (sorry, no UAV carrying Minutemen), but already in 1964 the Aerospace Corporation (a sort of competitor of RAND) in its broad Golden Arrow study on the future of land-based ICBMs devised at least two concepts. The second I'll leave to another post since it is not strictly an ICBM launcher. The first was for a air transportable system, based on C-141 used to continously lifting two Minuteman complete with their erector-launchers from a base to another in the CONUS. Nothing happened and the ait-mobile ICBM seemed to fall out of fashion: the 1967 Strat-X study covered a lot of different options for basing ICBM, EXCLUDING the air-mobile one.
In 1973 the wind changed, under the influence of Gen. Otto Glasser, Deputy Chief of Staff for Research and Development, who had worked with the famous Gen. Schriever, father of many of the innovations within USAF. Actually Lockheed had designed and proposed in 1970 a C-5 based missile launcher carrying three Poseidons, called Greyhound, but Poseidons were Navy things...
Between 1973 and 1976 a score a proposals followed. The Boeing ones described above were presented in 1974 at an AIAA conference by Ben T. Plymale, then vicepresident and general manager of the Rockets and Missiles Division of Boeing. MDD followed suit, with a 1975 proposed DC-10 conversion illustrated below. It carried two missile larger than the Minuteman and based on the 93-inches configuration of MX. But already in 1973 the Aerospace Corporation had studied a large number of configurations of ICBM carriers and launchers. Four of them are illustrated below. But there were many more. I discovered traces of: again C-5s, heavy-lifts helicopters, rocket-equipped platforms, shuttle versions (Scott has this), towed gliders, airships, both traditional (both blimp and rigid by Goodyear) and hybrid, stretched versions of FB-111 and specialized versions of the B-1. The DoD wasn't so enthusiastic about the concept of an air-mobile ICBM but left open the door. The Carter administration closed it, at least until late 1978, when the concept resurfaced in the midst of the "decision process" on the basing mode for the MX. This time it was proposed as a carrier aircraft a stretched version of the AMST called C-1XA, carrying a single MX and able to air launch it. It was envisioned a fleet of 150 aircrafts dispersed between some 4600 airfields in CONUS.
Last air launched ICBM concept I know about is from 1981, early in the Reagan administration. The Townes Panel, convened to again offer counsel on the MX basing stated that the preferred one would a continously airborne patrol. In parallel, SecDef Weinberger endorsed a two-pronged air-basing. Short term a fleet of Cargo 747 or C-5 would shift the MX and their erector-launcher between airports. Long term, the missile would have been transported and launched in the air by a new Boeing-designed aircraft, the Big Bird, illustrated below. This was a huge beast, as you can see. It was propelled by four turboprops.
I'm liking that one with the 565 foot wingspan :eek: That's even wider that the Pelikan. Of course it doesn't touch the REST of the stats but oh well.

Skybolt

Reaction score
And the Aerospace Corp. proposal from 1964 was even larger, but wasn't intended as an ICBM launcher. Later more on this (but no illustration, only specs, sigh)

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I thought about Fireflies question :
It seems to me, that the Antonov with the An-22R was the only one, considering
launching the missiles directly from the aircraft. All other proposals simply drop
them, so that the launching aircraft is quite a distance away during ignition.
AFAIK from submarines, the ICBM is launched using compressed air. Not suitable
for aircraft, I think, because there probably is quite an amount of recoil. Launching
it simply by igniting the rocket, seems not a good idea to me, either. Perhaps
dropping it vertically downwards ?

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Upwards, that's what I have read in several sources. Assuming An-22 fuselage diameter of 6 meters and R-27 height of 9,65 m, we can begin to swith on imagination. Seems that it looked a-la Boeing's 767-based Airborne Surveillance Testbed (AST) or three-hump camel...perhaps.

Skybolt

Reaction score
The original 1970 Lockheed proposal for a missile launching C-5 was intended for firing Poseidons from tubes, like on subs. Naturally the USAF didn't like it (Poseidon, what is Poseidon???) ;D

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
"...we can begin to swith on imagination"

It must have looked like ... a flying submarine, indeed ! :D

Attachments

Firefly 2

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Jemiba said:
I thought about Fireflies question :
It seems to me, that the Antonov with the An-22R was the only one, considering
launching the missiles directly from the aircraft. All other proposals simply drop
them, so that the launching aircraft is quite a distance away during ignition.
AFAIK from submarines, the ICBM is launched using compressed air. Not suitable
for aircraft, I think, because there probably is quite an amount of recoil. Launching
it simply by igniting the rocket, seems not a good idea to me, either. Perhaps
dropping it vertically downwards ?
Hmmm, the easiest way by far, but would need a redesign of the missile system IMO.

Archibald

Reaction score
Skybolt said:
The original 1970 Lockheed proposal for a missile launching C-5 was intended for firing Poseidons from tubes, like on subs. Naturally the USAF didn't like it (Poseidon, what is Poseidon???) ;D
After all, if there's a hole on the roof of the aircraft, and another on the flour, ok. Problem would be keeping the flames of an ICBM away from the C-5 structure.. maybe a (long enough) retractable tube hanging below the Galaxy ?

What is the speed of a swallow loaded with a coconut ? :eek:

Crazy projects...

Skybolt

Reaction score
Another problem would have been making the missile clear the aircraft fast enough to not smash in the vertical tail.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
At least this problem would have been solved by the An-22s twin fins, I think.
But the problem with blast of the rocket not ...

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Factory cutaway model of McDonnell Douglas C-10 airborne ballistic missile launch vehicle, ca. 1975. Note separate spherical compressed gas dewars for each launch tube ejector. I believe the blue section is pressurized and the green section is unpressurized. Not sure about the type of ICBMs: MX, Poseidon or something new and exciting? I hope somebody knows for sure.

Attachments

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your excellent comment! Here is a close-up of the cutaway section. Both photographs by SPF member Chad Slattery.

Attachments

fightingirish

Reaction score
circle-5 said:
[size=10pt][...]
Not sure about the type of ICBMs: MX, Poseidon or something new and exciting? I hope somebody knows for sure.
Skybolt said:
[...]
MDD followed suit, with a 1975 proposed DC-10 conversion illustrated below. It carried two missile larger than the Minuteman and based on the 93-inches configuration of MX. But already in 1973 the Aerospace Corporation had studied a large number of configurations of ICBM carriers and launchers. Four of them are illustrated below. But there were many more. [....]

hesham

Reaction score
From; Стратегическое оружие будущего,

I repeat some drawings in clearer views,and something new.

Attachments

GeorgeA

Reaction score
I repeat some drawings in clearer views,and something new.
Thanks hesham. What may not be obvious is 9.png shows the center section of a span loader.

sferrin

Reaction score
Hang a pod with half a dozen Midgetmen on the Roc.