blackkite I found that we have a book for sale ( KOJINSHA, 2007 ISBN 978-4-7698-1337-8. Imperial Japanese Navy Seaplanes. The original name is: 日本の水上機)...I hope I copied it correctly..) This is the first copy of the four books. Can you tell me if there are materials of interest to me (drawings and diagrams) on seaplanes H2H and Southampton-2? In particular, I am interested in detailing. Thanks!

Hi Genri-san. I understand your request. But I can't access the book which store in my mother's house in Hiroshima. Give me some more time.;)

The Hiro H10H gets my special interest.is there more information about this flying boat?
For example I'm curious is this design mentioned as a competitive design to the Kawanishi H8K Emily?

Oh!!:oops: I will check the explanation for this three side view drawing.

No information about the H2H1 tail shape in the "ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPENESE AIRCRAFT, VOL3 KAWANISHI HIROSHO CONTENTS"
Anyway the picture is the best evidence. You did it!!

Attachments

• EXzvB8LXsAAmBtQ.jpg
    EXzvB8LXsAAmBtQ.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Hi! I found some discrepancy in 2 photos. From this we can conclude that there were two modifications of H2H. The difference in the design of the nose and tail rudders. I assume so…)
11_.jpg

I would very much like to know which one is later. But we can assume that initially there was a landmark building on Southampton with all sorts of thrusters in the design. And on later modifications, this was all removed. And removed the large angle on the nasal cheekbone. But this is my guess…)
This I discovered when I started making the boat part…)

Yes! Modifications can be understood by its onboard number!

You did it again Genri-san. Nice find!!

I found another small "inaccuracy"...in the drawing, the central part of THE lower h2h wing looks without any elevation angles. And in the photo you can see that the wing immediately has a small elevation angle, and in the photo where the descent was filmed (rear view), you can see the shape of the wing, like a Seagull. From this we can conclude that the angle of the wing is given already from the fuselage itself. I found some other small changes in the design, for example, in the tail struts, but this is already the case...I do hope, dear blackknight, that this damned COVID will soon be over and you will visit your mother....))

You are definitely the most familiar with H2H1 in the world right now. Great!!

Last edited:
Thanks. If only my wife could hear your words...all she does is grumble about my hobby…)

Attachments

• H2H1 three side view.jpg
    H2H1 three side view.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 64
  • Southampton and H2H1.jpg
    Southampton and H2H1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
There were two types of H2H1.
Initial model ; Span : 22.14m, Length : 16.286m, Height : 6.13m, Engine : Hiro type14 550hp, Crew : 6
Later model ; Span : 22.12m, Length : 16.25m, Height : 5.96m, Engine : Hiro type90 600hp, Crew : 7
Source : The IJN

Hello blackkite! To be honest, I was hoping that I could find something in the book. After all, the main source of illustrations and drawings is books and magazines. I just can't figure out what you can find in the Yamato Museum. But you know better...I'm not in Japan..) And about the drawings. I came across an Assembly drawing from a Polish company of the H2H aircraft. That's where they got the drawings that there is a passage from the cockpit to the tail (to the Navigator and arrows)? If they draw it, it means they had some kind of primary source. Which one? The same goes for H1H...I'm not rushing you, because the virus is still out there... it's just my thinking. Thank you very much for your help. Good luck. 000.jpg ccc.jpg

I recognized that H2H1 is larger than Southampton.
Southampton's cockpit is tandem and H2H1's cockpit is side by side.
Anyway there is very little information about H2H1 in Japan.

Last edited:
http://cpaogiya.co.jp/マイコレクション/海軍機/飛行艇/八九式飛行艇/
"Showa 4 (Koki2589, A.C.1929) The 89-type flying boat, which became a metal fuselage that became the development type of the 15-type flying boat until then, was feathered on the main wing of the metal frame. The total number of aircraft manufactured was 17 aircraft, but the performance was good, and it has become a training machine after it was used in the early shanghai incident and the war in China.
This model that a Japanese manufacturer does not deal with first of all is a Polish CHOROSZY model has released a 1/72 kit, and it is made to have a hard time making it, but the finished product seems to be finished in a moderate workmanship."
https://modelbud.pl/pl/searchquery/TYPE+89+FLYING+BOAT/1/phot/5?url=TYPE,89,FLYING,BOAT

Attachments

• H2H1 MODEL PIC1.jpg
    H2H1 MODEL PIC1.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 51
  • H2H1 MODEL PIC2.jpg
    H2H1 MODEL PIC2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 47
  • H2H1_MODEL_PIC3.jpg
    H2H1_MODEL_PIC3.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 36
  • H2H1_MODEL_PIC4.jpg
    H2H1_MODEL_PIC4.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 36
  • H2H1_MODEL_PIC5.jpg
    H2H1_MODEL_PIC5.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 35
  • H2H1_MODEL_PIC6.jpg
    H2H1_MODEL_PIC6.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi!
Source : ENCYCLOPEDIA OF JAPANESE AIRCRAFT VOL.3 KAWANISHI HIROSHO CONTENTS.

Attachments

• hiro h2h1.jpg
    hiro h2h1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 36
Hi!Yes, I know about these characteristics. I just wanted to ask what sources they used, where they got the data from when they made the drawing for their model?In particular, where did they get data on the passage from the cockpit to the Navigator?

Last edited:
Sorry this is what all I know now.

Hello blackkite! I have a question for you. Since there is no way to find information for me in books and magazines, can I find a photo or photograph of the H1H, H2H, H3H, H3K cockpits in the Yamato Museum?

Not sure for me now.
I promise you that I will go to the Yamato Museum immediately after the re-opening and search photo or photograph of the H1H, H2H, H3H, H3K cockpits.;)

I really liked this technology of hull plating. Although the h2h color was gray-silver...This technology is suitable for early seaplanes in England, France and America.
but here again there is a problem....the problem of precise stitching of the boat's hull..(
француз.jpg

Hi! I begin to make struts under the lower wing. Again, the discrepancy between the drawing and the photo. The rear slope of the lower wing in the drawing is located far beyond the redan, and the photo clearly shows that it is located next to the redan or on a section of the redan. Blackkite, my friend, you are there next to the artist, write to him so that he correctly made the drawings...)))
Хиро Н2Н Тип 89 .png H2H1-1.jpg

I reallly feel that the actual and the digital modelers understand very well about the target aircraft.
They are thinking about the aircraft very seriously in detail every day. Especially 3D is very very hard.:)
It becomes incredibly complex only by one dimension.

Last edited:
Friends, I was wrong! This in the photo is not a redan of the bottom of the boat, but the end of the ground cart. Please excuse me..(( :rolleyes:

I went to the Yamato Museum after harvesting onions in Hiroshima today and there was no new information about the H2H1 flying boat. Even the model of the H2H1 flying boat that was normally exhibited was not exhibited. It is very regrettable.

Wow...is there an H2H flying boat in the Museum?? I want to go to Japan....)) Nothing, wait. I have other jobs.
Did you start leaving the house early?

I remember that H2H1 model in Yamato museum is a small one which I posted the picture previously. Tail end shape of the model looks like your opinion.
I can't believe that the Yamato museum does not display this model now.
I leaved the house very early yesterday.
I got some large red and white onions. I also had a hair cut in Hiroshima.:)
Anyway I will keep the research to answer your request. I imagine that Yamato museum keeps more unknown pictures, drawings and informations.
I will write the letter to Yamato museum soon.
Your model is amazing!!

Last edited:
Hi! Yes, it is very strange that the Museum does not exhibit the model. Are there aircraft engines on display at the Yamato Museum? I am interested in Napier Lion W12. The information I have is that it is one-sided. I would like more information, and of course photos. Thank you for not forgetting me…)

Yamato museum has aircraft engines for example, Nakajima Sakae for Zero fighter.
There are some engine exhibiting now. They are Ha-107, Kasei, Lorraine (I'm not sure the type and did not take picture. Next chance I will take pictures).

Last edited:
I received following answer from Yamato Museum. I'm asking about the exhibition model of type 89 flying boat now.

"Yamato Museum Curriculum Division.
Thank you for visiting this exhibition.
Thank you for your inquiry.
As you said, probably because only a few were produced, there are very few pictures of the Type 89 flying boat and Type 90 No. 1 flying boat, and we do not have anything other than the photographs that are generally available in our museum.
We also conducted a survey here for the purpose of holding a special exhibition, but we could not find a new photo.
We apologize for the inconvenience."

Okay, I'll do it by analogy with Supermarine Southampton and H1H... Thank you for your help. And I'm sorry to bother you. Be healthy!