HAL Tejas

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
as a LIFT, I can't see it being very competitive in the RAAF's competition with the other 3 actual LIFTs. the T-7, M-346 and T-50

in terms of who would win. my guess is lit would likely be in order of T-7 being the most likely followed by..
T-7 > M-346 > T-50 >>>> Tejas LIFT

zen

Reaction score
Just answer me this....
Why, when training is based around Hawk LIFT, would it be cheaper to change platform?
Wouldn't it be simpler to just roll off more Hawk fitted with appropriate avionics for the next generation of LIFT?

After all Hawk is a known quantity, the infrastructure is well versed in it's support, and the platform already has had a modernisation for LIFT that proved acceptable.
Changing to US T-7 or Italian M-346 or even South Korean T-50 is adding unnecessary cost in terms of support. Change for change's sake.
It's not like these other platforms are frankly any better for LIFT as far as the RAF is concerned.
The idea supersonic aircraft are cheaper to run is delusion.
The idea the subsonic platforms are cheaper or better platforms is frankly also delusion.

No this only plays to a political bent. One that always prefers the foreign, "grass is always greener over there" kind of attitude.
And politically if we are buying foreign it is much more likely to meet a foreign policy objective than the needs of the RAF.
In which case why not Taiwanese Ching Kuo trainers?

If we're buying Indian Tejas Trainers, it would be because it serves FCO and DTI horsetrading on Totally unrelated issues. Essentially a bung.

helmutkohl

Staff member
Reaction score
Just answer me this....
Why, when training is based around Hawk LIFT, would it be cheaper to change platform?
Wouldn't it be simpler to just roll off more Hawk fitted with appropriate avionics for the next generation of LIFT?

After all Hawk is a known quantity, the infrastructure is well versed in it's support, and the platform already has had a modernisation for LIFT that proved acceptable.
Changing to US T-7 or Italian M-346 or even South Korean T-50 is adding unnecessary cost in terms of support. Change for change's sake.
It's not like these other platforms are frankly any better for LIFT as far as the RAF is concerned.
The idea supersonic aircraft are cheaper to run is delusion.
The idea the subsonic platforms are cheaper or better platforms is frankly also delusion.

No this only plays to a political bent. One that always prefers the foreign, "grass is always greener over there" kind of attitude.
And politically if we are buying foreign it is much more likely to meet a foreign policy objective than the needs of the RAF.
In which case why not Taiwanese Ching Kuo trainers?

If we're buying Indian Tejas Trainers, it would be because it serves FCO and DTI horsetrading on Totally unrelated issues. Essentially a bung.
perhaps its a jobs thing..
one reason why I believe the T-7 will win because Boeing has a plant in Australia. the Aussies will just have the T-7 produced there to create jobs.

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
Hawk is dead, nothing is going to bring it back now.

The RAAF's Hawk 127s are aging and have had issues with serviceability. BAE Systems Australia did work to push the airframe life out to 50,000 hours to allow them to serve until the 2040s, but I guess this was thought of as unfeasible as the airframes and avionics age.

Its a fair bet the T-7 will win, the RAAF only seems interested in Boeing products these days.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Hawk is dead, nothing is going to bring it back now.

The RAAF's Hawk 127s are aging and have had issues with serviceability. BAE Systems Australia did work to push the airframe life out to 50,000 hours to allow them to serve until the 2040s, but I guess this was thought of as unfeasible as the airframes and avionics age.

Its a fair bet the T-7 will win, the RAAF only seems interested in Boeing products these days.
The AIR6002 RFI (some details here) was open to anyone I believe. Hence why HAL presumably submitted. That said, it wouldn't have any realistic chance of proceeding to actual hardware.

I agree that the T-7 is the most likely eventual winner. Mind you, the latest intel' is that this will be pushed back until the 2030s with the Hawk 127s getting a further upgrade under a presumed new phase 2 (?) of Project AIR 5438 LIF Capability Assurance Program (LIFCAP). This will involve re-engining the fleet with the Mk.951 version of the RR Adour.