• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

HAL Tejas

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
9,723
Reaction score
212
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Forgive me, I can't find the existing topic that discusses the HAL Tejas. It seems that the existing topics that I can find seem to be off-topic. Would a moderator kindly re-locate this post to the correct topic?

"Official LCA Tejas Brochure 2015"

Source:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/255723461/Official-LCA-Tejas-Brochure-2015
 

Attachments

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
9,011
Reaction score
199
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bahrain-debut-for-export-ready-tejas-fighter-421182/
 

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2009
Messages
9,011
Reaction score
199
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/new-delhi-signs-off-on-83-tejas-fighters-431301/

A deal for 83 Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) Tejas Mk-1A fighters has been cleared by India’s Defence Acquisition Council (DAC).

The Tejas Mk-1A will be operated solely by the Indian air force. HAL will now prepare for series production of the aircraft.

The DAC decision brings the total number of Tejas fighters ordered to 123 examples. The first batch of 20 Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) aircraft were ordered in 2006, a further order for 20 Final Operational Clearance (FOC) aircraft was placed in 2010.

[snip]
 

totoro

CLEARANCE: Secret
Joined
Jan 11, 2011
Messages
276
Reaction score
8
Website
www.youtube.com
Seriously, wouldn't it have been cheaper to just approach SAAB and ask how much does a complete tech transfer cost? Everything from blueprints, manufacturing process, design process, establishment of a full production line in India plus several years of hosting some of the Gripen program engineers and team leads from 1980s and 1980s, answering all questions possible and assisting in any way India desires, so a new generation of Indian engineers get up to speed as much as they can.
 

harrier

BAe P.1216 book: harrier.org.uk/P1216.htm
Senior Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2006
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
50
Deino said:
Latest ones from Aero India ... and the Naval Mk.2 has now a tail :eek:
So the LEVCONs didn't do the trick?
 

MihoshiK

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
106
Reaction score
13
totoro said:
Seriously, wouldn't it have been cheaper to just approach SAAB and ask how much does a complete tech transfer cost? Everything from blueprints, manufacturing process, design process, establishment of a full production line in India plus several years of hosting some of the Gripen program engineers and team leads from 1980s and 1980s, answering all questions possible and assisting in any way India desires, so a new generation of Indian engineers get up to speed as much as they can.
Couple of years ago, when Rafale sales were in a slump, the French offered India pretty much that deal, on the cheap. It would have been the deal of the century, for India.

So of course they made some completely unreasonable demands and blew up the deal that could have boosted their aerospace industry by two decades.
 

galgot

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2006
Messages
528
Reaction score
215
Website
galgot.com
Before closing the Mirage 2000 production line, Dassault also offered to transfert it in India. Not followed...
 

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
89
The Defence Research and Development Organisation to give full operational clearance standard certification to Indian Air Force for the Light Combat Aircraft today. The FOC certification will mean that the Light Combat Aircraft are now battle worthy.
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1098190881847414784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1098190881847414784&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231098190881847414784

Pardon to be sceptical, but honestly, how realistically is this?

Name any international Air Force that introduces a new type in very limited numbers - and we have to remember so far not much more than a dozen Tejas are delivered - and call them to have reached not only IOC but also FOC?

I know, much has been written, the Tejas might have reached IOC even before reaching frontline squadron service, but hey ... usually a new type is delivered to a dedicated OCU to train pilots and ground grew, to perfect manuals and flight procedures and for that you need a certain number of flying planes and flight numbers, lots of flight numbers. Only then you reach IOC and later FOC after even more years of operational training, exercises and hours of hours.

Just look at the Rafale, the €-Fighter, the F-22 and F-35, all had a long and sometimes arduous operational conversion period until they were then delivered AFTER THAT to a first front line unit.
I remember the jokes some made, when the PLAAF gained the first J-20s in late 2016 introduced in a dedicated training unit (176th Brigade at Dingxin) and even after the second unit at Cangzhou (172nd Brigade) was formed in 2017 most external observers were sceptical or even joking, how on earth the PLAAF could call them "operational".
Even now with the first true front line unit established and surely several more J-20s delivered than Tejas flying, some still remain reluctant to call the J-20 as FOC but India magically managed to directly deliver just a few birds directly to a frontline unit and whoops, they have reached FOC.

Come on ... given the otherwise not that "astonishing" track record of the Indian Aerospace Industry I really have my doubts, regardless what is written and to admit, not a single of these arguments mentioned in several forums convinced me why the IAF managed in less time something no other Air Force achieved with a comparable type.

Best,
 

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2013
Messages
745
Reaction score
80
Deino said:
The Defence Research and Development Organisation to give full operational clearance standard certification to Indian Air Force for the Light Combat Aircraft today. The FOC certification will mean that the Light Combat Aircraft are now battle worthy.
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1098190881847414784?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1098190881847414784&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%231098190881847414784

Pardon to be sceptical, but honestly, how realistically is this?

Name any international Air Force that introduces a new type in very limited numbers - and we have to remember so far not much more than a dozen Tejas are delivered - and call them to have reached not only IOC but also FOC?

I know, much has been written, the Tejas might have reached IOC even before reaching frontline squadron service, but hey ... usually a new type is delivered to a dedicated OCU to train pilots and ground grew, to perfect manuals and flight procedures and for that you need a certain number of flying planes and flight numbers, lots of flight numbers. Only then you reach IOC and later FOC after even more years of operational training, exercises and hours of hours.

Just look at the Rafale, the €-Fighter, the F-22 and F-35, all had a long and sometimes arduous operational conversion period until they were then delivered AFTER THAT to a first front line unit.
I remember the jokes some made, when the PLAAF gained the first J-20s in late 2016 introduced in a dedicated training unit (176th Brigade at Dingxin) and even after the second unit at Cangzhou (172nd Brigade) was formed in 2017 most external observers were sceptical or even joking, how on earth the PLAAF could call them "operational".
Even now with the first true front line unit established and surely several more J-20s delivered than Tejas flying, some still remain reluctant to call the J-20 as FOC but India magically managed to directly deliver just a few birds directly to a frontline unit and whoops, they have reached FOC.

Come on ... given the otherwise not that "astonishing" track record of the Indian Aerospace Industry I really have my doubts, regardless what is written and to admit, not a single of these arguments mentioned in several forums convinced me why the IAF managed in less time something no other Air Force achieved with a comparable type.

Best,
So no Indian secret projects in the offing then.... :)
 

Austin

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
194
Reaction score
1
Tejas Mk2 ( Medium Weight Fighter (MWF) ) for INDIAN AIRFORCE



Scale Model







Wind Tunnel Model & AESA Radar




Tejas Mk2 Specs
 

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
8
I wonder if there's a reason they're carrying Derby and not Astra.
 

Austin

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
194
Reaction score
1
SOC , Tejas Mk1 is currently tested and certified for Derby BVR and R-73 CCM.

Astra was not available at that time , Today Astra BVR is tested from MKI eventually they will make it to Mk1.

There is Tejas Mk1A under works and then the definite Mk2 , I expect both to have Astra BVR. Mk1A will have AESA radar ......current Tejas Mk1 has 2032 radar.
 

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
948
Reaction score
56
Not a great piece but a good summary. I like the chart at the bottom of the 2nd page showing clearly (something I kept repeating) that nearly everybody tried during the last 20y to build a new Mirage 2000... Except Dassault.
 

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
89
And again another completely new version ... after the IAF Mk.2, now the IN Mk.2 even more different.

Honestly, I have so much strong doubts not only that the IAF version will not be ready in time but even more this ugly duckling.
 

Attachments

Sundog

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,629
Reaction score
42
I actually like that Navy version because at least it is interesting looking. But given that the land based version is becoming the Gripen, I really don't see why they don't buy the Gripen for both roles, as SAAB has already made it so that the E can be upgraded to a naval variant.
 

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2,692
Reaction score
48
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Sundog said:
I actually like that Navy version because at least it is interesting looking. But given that the land based version is becoming the Gripen, I really don't see why they don't buy the Gripen for both roles, as SAAB has already made it so that the E can be upgraded to a naval variant.
Local Indian industrial development.
 

Austin

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
194
Reaction score
1
Sundog said:
I actually like that Navy version because at least it is interesting looking. But given that the land based version is becoming the Gripen, I really don't see why they don't buy the Gripen for both roles, as SAAB has already made it so that the E can be upgraded to a naval variant.
How would buying from anybody help india in designing and building a aviation industry
 

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
948
Reaction score
56
Just like talking your neighbor into letting you sleep with his wife because you've already done it... GL!
 

Ainen

I really should change my personal text
Joined
Aug 25, 2011
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
TomcatViP said:
Just like talking your neighbor into letting you sleep with his wife because you've already done it... GL!
It's only assuming your neighbor even has a wife.
For all intents and purposes, even Tejas mk 1 hasn't been born yet.
2 decades after it should've happened.
And now they are starting to develop 2 new planes out of this stillborn child.
It is as if Indian aircraft industry isn't aimed at producing planes, but at creating a cast of Tejas designers.
 

Austin

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
194
Reaction score
1
Tejas Supersonic Trainer Aircraft 'SPORT' Built By HAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mze7z-N9Gg
 

Austin

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
194
Reaction score
1
Deino said:
And again another completely new version ... after the IAF Mk.2, now the IN Mk.2 even more different.

Honestly, I have so much strong doubts not only that the IAF version will not be ready in time but even more this ugly duckling.
IAF and IN requirements are different so the design that is optimised for IAF with say an all moving canard may not work with the Navy , The latter prefers a cockpit with greater outside visibility ( needed while landing on deck ) and likely the rear tail would be more in tune with IN requirement. Likely they are good in reducing speed at short distance or even reducing the landing speed.

I dont see any reason why any one would find Tejas Ugly , I have seen it close up multiple times and it looks very pretty and the MK2 has a sort of Rafalish looks ......Beauty lies in the Eyes of Beholder :)
 

fightingirish

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
2,160
Reaction score
143
Israel’s Rafael lays out a weapons/sensor package for the LCA Tejas, including the SkyShield EW/jammer pod.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1098881099298717696
 

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
2,692
Reaction score
48
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Has anyone heard anything more re any export attempts with the Tejas? I heard a rumour today that Malaysia might be interested.
 

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
89
Has anyone heard anything more re any export attempts with the Tejas? I heard a rumour today that Malaysia might be interested.

To admit I won't say Malaysia is interested, but India wished Malaysia would be interested!
 

kaiserd

I really should change my personal text
Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2013
Messages
745
Reaction score
80
Has anyone heard anything more re any export attempts with the Tejas? I heard a rumour today that Malaysia might be interested.

To admit I won't say Malaysia is interested, but India wished Malaysia would be interested!
To final complete a failed bad joke above;
So no Indian secret projects book in the works then? :)
My apologies.....
 

Deino

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
89
:p ;) Nope ... unfortunately not!
But I must admit after the PLAAF-book series I would love to make a similar one for the IAF, but I think I'm not the right one to do this. :oops:
 
Top