Grumman Horizontal Landing Logistics Spacecraft proposals

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Grumman Horizontal Landing Logistics Spacecraft proposals found on eBay.

Source:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRUMMAN-PROPOSALS-HORIZONTAL-LANDING-LOGISTICS-SPACECRAFT-REENTRY-VEHICLE-DESIGN-/132212492362?hash=item1ec87a884a:g:FUUAAOSwcB5ZMDzz

Two Grumman Project Study Proposals:
Project 359 is undated, circa 1960's
Project 359C is dated 1964

Written and published by Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation, Bethpage, Long Island, New York

These two Grumman Project volumes have plastic comb bindings and clear acetate protective covers front and rear. Comb bindings are soiled but intact, with one tooth missing. Acetate covers are worn, scuffed and soiled. Rear acetate cover of one volume has a one inch square missing from the outer edge. Paper covers underneath acetate protectors show soil and water marks. Foredges are noticeably foxed and soiled, text pages are clean.

GRUMMAN PROJECT 359: PROPOSAL FOR STUDY - HORIZONTAL LANDING LOGISTICS SPACECRAFT - TECHNICAL PROPOSAL REPORT #PDR-359-1 - PROPRIETARY
SUBMITTED IN RESPONSE TO NASA REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL # MSC 63-576P
"Objectives for this study:
The NASA objective is to establish a workable logistic support system for an earth-orbiting space station, which provides crew rotation, resupply and emergency return. The logistic spacecraft required should accomodate 12 men and cargo.
Grumman 's study objectives:
Provide a workable preliminary design of the 12 man HLLS.
Demonstrate a compatibility of the spacecraft with the rest of the system.
Recommend a practical development program for the HLLS."

AND

GRUMMAN PROJECT 359C: PROPOSAL FOR STUDY AND PRELIMINARY DESIGN OF HIGH L/D REENTRY TEST VEHICLES - PROPRIETARY
SUBMITTED IN RESPONSE TO RFP 5902 KNA RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY DIVISION, AIR FORCE SYSTEMS COMMAND WRIGHT -PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, OHIO
"Grumman study objectives:
will emphasize the influence of the planform edges. During the parametric study phase, aerodynamic performance trade-offs with edge size will be made in parallel with structural design studies for sizes which are adaptable to specific materials and design concepts.
Preliminary design studies of both configurations will be initiated after Air Force Approval of specific edge sizes, design concepts and vehicle flight programs. These studies will be made in enough detail to document both the feasibility and the aerodynamic-structural performance of the test vehicles, as well as desirable improvements in the state of the art."

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 181
  • s-l1600b.jpg
    s-l1600b.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 177
  • s-l1600c.jpg
    s-l1600c.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 167
  • s-l1600d.jpg
    s-l1600d.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 163
  • s-l1600e.jpg
    s-l1600e.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 157
  • s-l1600f.jpg
    s-l1600f.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 31
  • s-l1600g.jpg
    s-l1600g.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 34
  • s-l1600h.jpg
    s-l1600h.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 52
  • s-l1600i.jpg
    s-l1600i.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 56
  • s-l1600j.jpg
    s-l1600j.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 48
I'm trying to gather together a group of crowdfunders for this one. I figure 15 people should be enough to get if for a vaguely reasonable per-person price... $795+$15 postage = $810/15 = $54 each. Currently I have 6 people in total signed up for that. So if you'd like to get on board let me know in comments or email/PM. Funders will get the complete set of scans, then the originals will be sent to a relevant archive (likely the Grumman history archive). Like Kickstarter, if I don't get 15, it doesn't happen; if I get more than 15, the price per person will drop accordingly.

dam, i want this
but for the moment i paying my Belgium Tax Marathon*
i have money for co founding for that early January, not sooner

*Belgium Tax Marathon
Some [censored] Bureaucrat had this the brilliant [swear word] Idea..
"let's harass those [censored] alphanumerical and let pay them All there Taxes at once"
for People with family name V to Z that's November/December

Currently 17 funders lined up. The per-funder price is currently $47.18, but that'll drop if any more come on board. Since there are the required 15 lined up, I'm going to go ahead and buy the thing - reluctantly, admittedly, since the price is extortionate. A few more days yet to sign on...

FYI: A sufficient number of funders signed up so that the items were purchased. It was a bit of a quandary, whether to pay such a ridiculously high cost... but the reports were desirable enough for enough people to plunk down $33 and change each. The reports are reportedly somewhere in the US postal system, somewhere between New Jersey and Utah.