Or, perhaps it's a TFX predecessor rather than a F-111 development. The bare metal livery screams late 50's or very early 60's to me. By the time TFX got going, bare metal was getting scarce and most new USN and USAF warplanes, and illustrations thereof, were getting variations on grey/white schemes.
My understanding of the TFX story is that it combined an existing USAF interdictor requirement with a USN requirement for a fleet defense interceptor. Early work on the standalone USAF requirement probably wouldn't have had side-by-side seating (the Navy required this to improve crew interaction) or the big radome (required for the long range AWG-9 radar for the Phoenix, not needed for an interdictor's TFR) and probably would have been longer without the requirement for elevator compatibility.

Nope, its a modification of the early F-111A layout - stretched fuselage etc. You wouldn't design the stretched version first then lop bits off to make the finished article. So its probably 1963. Note the bare metal F-111A next to it...

Circle-5,
You're probably right. The model in the background looked white to me at first glance. However, aircraft do get shortened to meet new requirements (747 to 747SP, Electra to P-3, MD-80 to MD-95). If you started with a configuration aimed a USAF supersonic long-range penetrator (and legend has it that there was such a requirement before TFX) and modified it to accommodate USN requirements for side-by-side seating, a bigger radar dish and carrier stowage, the result would almost have to be shorter wouldn't it?

taildragger

Specifically, I don't think you'd design it with the separation between tail and wing unless the basic design had been stretched. However, we are arguing a moot point without evidence.

The RAF magazine Air Clues in 1967 featured an article on the F111K
with about five views of a model in RAF camouflage.

Can anyone post a copy from their collection? I used to have one I cut
out in the 1970s, but cannot find it.

UK 75

Multiple advanced FB-111 strategic bomber designs were proposed by General Dynamics in the 1970s. The first design, referred to as "FB-111G" within the company, was a larger aircraft with more powerful engines with more payload and range. The next was a lengthened "FB-111H". It featured more powerful General Electric F101 turbofan engines, a 12 ft 8.5 in longer fuselage and redesigned, fixed intakes. The rear landing gear were moved outward so armament could be carried on the fuselage there. The FB-111H was offered as an alternative to the B-1A in 1975. The similar FB-111B/C was offered in 1979 without success.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-111

Attachments

• DF-ST-82-11385a.jpg
    DF-ST-82-11385a.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 985
To get an idea how frantic McNamara and GD were to try and save this plane, one of the weight reductions was to replace the glass lenses on the cockpit instruments with lighter weight plastic.

Wow that is going to the extreme!
Nice find of information.

Regards
Pioneer

Sentinel Chicken said:
Shhhh, don't tell the missus about the SWIP or she'll want me on one as well!

(Dang dryer keeps shrinking my pants I tell you!)

Ha ha :D
Great one - some how I missed this - thanks for the laugh SC

Regards
Pioneer

Some questions for the FB-111H

retaing capability to guided guiaded munitions, aka LGBs and missiles? can be fitted with a AVQ-26 or a M61 Vulcan cannon in the weapons bay or has integrated in the fuselage main body?
can be fitted with a a internal fuel tank in the internal weapon bay? what extender range can give that tank? and the subalars tanks?

I search some incoherences in the max range and cruise range:
Max cruise: 4400 Nm with 29290 kg intermal fuel tanks
Max Ferry range at high altitude: 6900 Nm with internal + 6 external and Bomb bay tanks
Aditional Ferry range: 2500 Nn

F-111F (for calculation proposes)
600 USG drop tank 157Nm
565 USG bomb bay drop tank 147Nm

FB-111H
600 USG drop tank 157Nm
1130 USG bomb bay drop tank 295Nm (double bomb bay capacity F-111F)

Total rank added 297+(157*6)=1137Nm added
2500-1137=1363 Nm Lost :(

Empty weight: 30408 Lb
Internal fuel: 64574 Lb
MTOW: 140000 Lb
Payload: 140000 - 94982 = 45018 Lb (20419kg)

20419kg - ((1852*6 600 USG tank)+3487 1130 USG BBT)= 5820 Kg / 1852 kg 600 USG tank = 3 tanks or 4 adding MIFG
4 600 USG aditional, in fuselage hardpoints (157*4)= 628 Nm
1363 - 628 = 736 Nm lost

But this calculation only have conjectures

or a M61 Vulcan cannon in the weapons bay or has integrated in the fuselage main body?

I am not 100% sure, but seeing the FB-111H was intended as a strategic platform, I would not envisage the likes of the M61 cannon being of a high concern consideration of SAC.
I cant see the FB-111H had it been put into production being used in air-to-air or ground attack!
I think it would have all been MK61 and SRAM`s

Some interesting stats though regarding fuels!!

Regards
Pioneer

Hey circle-5, is there any chance of a good side-profile of this F-111 CWIP model you have graced us with????

Regards
Pioneer

F-111Ks Under Construction
The F-111K was an F-111 variant designed for the United Kingdom. The design was based on the F-111A with FB-111 landing gear and British-supplied mission systems. The aircraft also had weapons bay modifications, centerline pylon, retractable refueling probe, provisions for a reconnaissance pallet, and a higher gross weight with the use of FB-111A landing gear. The British government ordered fifty F-111K aircraft in February 1967. The first two F-111Ks were in the final stages of assembly at General Dynamics in Fort Worth when the order was canceled in January 1968. The two aircraft were eventually salvaged with various components going into other F-111s.

Photo Posted: 7 September 2010

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/gallery_slideshow.html?item_id=822

Attachments

• 2010_F111K001_1267828237_9574.jpg
    2010_F111K001_1267828237_9574.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 1,605
F-111H with AGM-109

Source: Aviation & Marine International July 1979

Attachments

• GD F-111H with GD AGM 109 Tomahawk cruise missiles.jpg
    GD F-111H with GD AGM 109 Tomahawk cruise missiles.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,817
In Lagley's photo archive there are some photos of the tunnel model of the RF-111. I'm posting from a Blackberry, so I cannot upload them: volunteers ?

Pioneer said:
Hey circle-5, is there any chance of a good side-profile of this F-111 CWIP model you have graced us with????

Regards
Pioneer

Here you go, Pioneer! (better late than never.) My brownie point offer for info on this F-111 variant remains unclaimed and the model isn't talking.

Attachments

• GD F-111 Unknown.jpg
    GD F-111 Unknown.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1,619
Looks like a pretty straightforward mod of the F-111 into a tandem seater. This would be beneficial for a dedicated fighter version, as it would open up visibility for the pilot at the expense of the WSO. It would also lighten the aircraft by getting rid of the escape capsule.

circle-5 said:
Here you go, Pioneer! (better late than never.) My brownie point offer for info on this F-111 variant remains unclaimed and the model isn't talking.

Thank you my friend for thinking of me!
You are a gentleman!!

Regards
Pioneer

I'd bet it is the CWIP modification. See Tony's new opus in the relevant chapter.

Orionblamblam said:
Looks like a pretty straightforward mod of the F-111 into a tandem seater. This would be beneficial for a dedicated fighter version, as it would open up visibility for the pilot at the expense of the WSO.

The sole (or maybe double) sidewinder under the fuselage is interesting - I wonder if it fouls the weapons bay?

Orionblamblam said:
Looks like a pretty straightforward mod of the F-111 into a tandem seater. This would be beneficial for a dedicated fighter version, as it would open up visibility for the pilot at the expense of the WSO.

I wonder if it would have proven to be a more effective fighter than the F-4E.

25593516.jpg

Event 7825 Lot 1
August 18 to August 20, 2010 Bid Date

5,000,000 lbs (apprx) F-111 tooling/iron and heavy steel and aluminum with foreign materials attached and unattached consisting of tooling and dyes. Located at Davis Monthan AFB, AMARG area - 7030 E. Irvington Rd - Tucson, AZ. Previews and load outs by appointment only Aug. 18 & 19 from 9 - 11 am. For viewing appointments call site manager Rey Tapia at 602-684-1226. Property requires off-site mutilation. Can be reduced in size on base for ease of transport. Mutilation will be accomplished off government premises within 25 miles of Centralized Demil Center(CDC) - Tucson, AZ. Due to design of items, purchaser will shear, crush, or cut items to accomplish mutilation. Attached surveillance plan applies. Buyer must attend a start of work meeting at CDC Tucson, Davis Monthan AFB prior to beginning work. No culling allowed. Buyer load. All scrap under this contract requires mutilation by the buyer and must be witnessed and certified by DoD personnel at another facility. Title to the material does not pass to the buyer until the scrap has been mutilated. Buyer agrees to allow USG personnel to witness destruction.

Hey Circle-5, is there any possibility your CWIP marked model is actually the illusive F-111M-3 (3 seater configuration)?

flateric said:
The first two F-111Ks were in the final stages of assembly at General Dynamics in Fort Worth when the order was canceled in January 1968.

This seems to be a favourite trick with the Brits, and not just limited to their own stuff!

I remember, from a rather old book, a description of a heavier version of the F-111 (or FB-111, perhaps?) with three engines. I think it made specific mention of an S-duct for that third jet. Has anyone else seen this? Better yet, has anyone seen any drawings of it? It sounds to me rather like a fore-runner to the FB-111H, since the only real use for such a drastic increase in power would be for a commensurate increase in payload.

Model of General Dynamics F-111B manufactured by Topping found on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topping-Models-F-111B-Model-Mint-BOX-1-72-/180822387095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a19daa997

A different version of a F-111H that I had in my collection.

Attachments

• F111H.jpg
    F111H.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,376
I can barely decipher it:

F-111H
(?) Tactical (Fighter?)
General Dynamics (Corporation?)