For All Mankind - Apple TV Series

The External Tank is fuel source for the SSMEs (main engines). The tankage in the cargo bay could be for the OMS (shuttle Orbital Maneuvering System). In real life, the shuttle OMS was used to raise the orbit of the space station many times.

Since SSMEs can't restart in orbit nor in space, this led me to wonder - what amount of storable propellants would it takes to push a 80 metric ton orbiter to lunar orbit (and back ?) with the OMS pods ? It might be possible to keep the external tank attached, put a little storable props inside, get some plumbing between the tanks and OMS pods, and go !
note that the OMS engines were AJ10- very similar to Apollo SM big engine, so they are kind of Moon-rated...

Now that's an idea. Keep the external tank attached, put storable fuel in the LOX tank and storable oxidizer in the LH2 one.
750 mt of hydrolox, of which 629 tons of LOX. Converted to storables, should be plenty enough to get a 78 mt orbiter and 27 mt tank to make a TLI and back....

Last edited:
The second episode of season two wasn't that quite good or interesting than episode one. This episode was all about character building for upcoming episodes. The Space Shuttle took two main characters from the moon orbit back to Cape Canaveral. The payload doors are closed in Space, so no radiator panels or solar panels are exposed. :confused:

Again, the third episode of season 2 was about character building. No new space tech is shown in this episode.

The second episode of season two wasn't that quite good or interesting than episode one. This episode was all about character building for upcoming episodes. The Space Shuttle took two main characters from the moon orbit back to Cape Canaveral. The payload doors are closed in Space, so no radiator panels or solar panels are exposed. :confused:

That's a little disappointing. The shuttle needs it radiators open IIRC. In LEO I think it typically flew with its re-entry shield towards the Sun and the bay open.

Depends - might be a slightly different Shuttle. It is an alternate history after all... still, a Shuttle flying to the Moon... really... smells like "let's give the public something they are familiar with..."

The Nedelin disaster... the day an idiot second stage was led to believe it was ascending, and had to start its engine... when it was still on Earth solid ground and attached to the fully-fueled first stage below it.

BOOM ! was the result... Marshall Mitrofan Nedelin, seating on wooden chair way, way too close from the ticking, was blown to dust and melted. The only bit of him they ever found, were the partially melted metal bars holding his military medals.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R66Fvhx0vQ

In For all mankind timeline they have electric cars right from the 80's, courtesy of Apollo LRV development never stopping.

Seems like the NiH2 and NiMH batteries developped faster.

The development of nickel–hydrogen cells was started by COMSAT Laboratories in 1970 [40]. After the initial demonstration of the feasibility of the nickel–hydrogen cell, INTELSAT funded COMSAT Laboratories to develop a 50 A-h cell, and in 1975, this development had progressed to the point that the US Naval Research Laboratory funded COMSAT Laboratories to develop a 35 A-h nickel–hydrogen cell for use on the US Navy’s Navigation Technology Satellite (NTS-2) spacecraft shown in Figure 20 [40, 42]. The NTS-2, launched in 1977, was the first use of nickel–hydrogen battery technology in space. Nickel–hydrogen cells were then put in service on Intelsat V, VI, and VII satellites from 1983 through 1996 [43, 44].

I was wondering, there are (plenty of) cars with NiMH batteries - but would it possible to build a NiH2 electric car ?

The lastest episode 4 of season 2 was much more entertaining than the last two episodes.
The viewer finally gets to see the new upgrade Space Shuttle "Pathfinder" in a hanger, which will be powered by nuclear engines. I can't say, if this fictional Shuttle is based on a real Space Shuttle project.
The cliffhanger at the end of this episode shows a dogfight between two fictional single-seat versions of the real NASA trainer Northrop T-38. No, I do not mean the F-5, because this fictional aircraft has the front fuselage of the real T-38, but no second cockpit for the flight instructor. The first real American female astronaut "Sally Ride" has a cameo, and the real Apollo–Soyuz Space mission will take place in this fictional world ten years later during the 1980s.
Here two YT-Videos so far with more spoilers:
View: https://youtu.be/jQHgA8quQDk

View: https://youtu.be/js5PLqafmzY

Last edited:
A fragment from Season 1, inspired by the Nedelin Incident?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-E1lkOiXEg

I really wish this series was available in an offline form for non-Apple viewers.

It is. ;)

A fragment from Season 1, inspired by the Nedelin Incident?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-E1lkOiXEg

I really wish this series was available in an offline form for non-Apple viewers.

It is. ;)

So you are saying that an offline version such as a DVD or Blue Ray release exists of this?

So you are saying that an offline version such as a DVD or Blue Ray release exists of this?
DVD and Blue ray are dying media...

I love Episode 4

Pathfinder reminds me a litte bit the of LSC Shuttle 2 proposal from 1988
8-jpg.585552

Pathfinder screen shot. My guess that a major driver for the design was that they could continue to use existing sets (not cheap) and models (CG - also not as cheap as you'd think) and digitally alter existing footage of real shuttles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.42.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 10.42.36 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
They didn't even beef up the landing gear lol, I like this show a lot but where is the CGI money going? Stargate had better CGI 20 years ago. The T-28 sequence was funny too, this universe must be running on Ace Combat physics.

Pathfinder screen shot. My guess that a major driver for the design was that they could continue to use existing sets (not cheap) and models (CG - also not as cheap as you'd think) and digitally alter existing footage of real shuttles.

Surprising given the obvious returns shows like "THE EXPANSE" get from their CGI budgets. I'm hoping the rest of the season actually moves us back to space and the moon.

Those tick wings on Pathfinder
I wonder if those are "Wet Wings" were propellants are stored
were proposed for several Shuttle studies
They didn't even beef up the landing gear lol
Original orbiter landing gear is for landing mass of 86094 kg or 189805 lb.
Look like that Pathfinder has same landing mass...
...i wonder what NASA trow out Original design to keep the mass low

Last edited:
The beauty of the old fashioned book is that you can tell a story with artwork. Shame there are not more graphic novels on this subject

Attachments

• 3743720157_c754066a50_b.jpg
    3743720157_c754066a50_b.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 84
  • D_voN2NW4AA7-pk.jpeg
    D_voN2NW4AA7-pk.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 60
Those tick wings on Pathfinder
I wonder if those are "Wet Wings" were propellants are stored
were proposed for several Shuttle studies
They didn't even beef up the landing gear lol
Original orbiter landing gear is for landing mass of 86094 kg or 189805 lb.
Look like that Pathfinder has same landing mass...
...i wonder what NASA trow out Original design to the mass low
At first I thought Pathfinder might have the carbon-carbon heat shield that was at one time proposed for the original shuttle which would free up a fair bit of mass, but no, it has a modified shuttle tile system.

2nd Gen LEM. On the 4th shot, you'd expect them to be wearing helmets, but on the same principle that major characters didn't wear helmets, hats or hoods in Game of Thrones, they aren't because most of the audience has to see their faces.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.52.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.52.57 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.56.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.56.54 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.00.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 10.00.14 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.57.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.57.40 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
[...]The cliffhanger at the end of this episode 4 shows a dogfight between two fictional single-seat versions of the real NASA trainer Northrop T-38. No, I do not mean the F-5, because this fictional aircraft has the front fuselage of the real T-38, but no second cockpit for the flight instructor. [...]
Sorry, the second picture is NSFW.;):p

Attachments

• 20210312_fictional_single_seat_T-38_NASA_For_all_Mankind_S02E04_1.jpg
    20210312_fictional_single_seat_T-38_NASA_For_all_Mankind_S02E04_1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 220210312_fictional_single_seat_T-38_NASA_For_all_Mankind_S02E04_1.jpg
    220210312_fictional_single_seat_T-38_NASA_For_all_Mankind_S02E04_1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 67
Apart from those screenshots, the lastest episode 5 was again about building up the characters. So IMHO quite boring.:confused:
A lot of metaphorical and literal guns being lined up on the mantelpiece though: Apollo-Soyuz for the doves, troops in Jamestown and mention of arming Pathfinder for the hawks. From the series trailer:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 11.50.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 11.50.33 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 77
2nd Gen LEM. On the 4th shot, you'd expect them to be wearing helmets, but on the same principle that major characters didn't wear helmets, hats or hoods in Game of Thrones, they aren't because most of the audience has to see their faces.

How the heck did they build this landing site, did they transport some digging machinery ore was this all done by hand.

Presumably some of the cargo flights included construction equipment, robotic and otherwise.

I like episode 5
The daily routine on Jamestown colony, tracy get taste what Gordo endure on Jamestown base
While Gordo getting in "shape"
But the best scene was briefing about result of little Dogfight in episode 4
i had my fun :D

P.s.
on the Artemis Discord server had a escalating debate on the LSAM's propellant.
if Hydrolox or Hypergolic
on end they used abusive language...

Still lining up guns on the mantelpiece. Reviewers who have seen the final two episodes of the season say they're insane. In the meantime, screencaps of the Lunar lander.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.31.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.31.32 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.31.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.31.55 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.32.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.32.27 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.32.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.32.56 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.33.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.33.19 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.37.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.37.14 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
i like Episode 6
it was sometimes Hysterical Funny, with how NASA react and interact with there Visitors and vice versa
nice to see context of Seadragon Launch prolog in Season 1 here in episode 6
and it ended with strange Cliffhanger

dit i hear a different list of dead cosmonauts as in the Original Timeline ?
and get Gordo thinner ?

i like Episode 6
it was sometimes Hysterical Funny, with how NASA react and interact with there Visitors and vice versa
nice to see context of Seadragon Launch prolog in Season 1 here in episode 6
and it ended with strange Cliffhanger

dit i hear a different list of dead cosmonauts as in the Original Timeline ?
and get Gordo thinner ?
Gordo is certainly one of the funnier characters. Ron Moore said of writing Battlestar Galactica that they stopped writing funny lines for Baltar because they didn't need to - James Callis could make anything hilarious. It looks like Michael Dorman is the same... it could be the moustache.

The lastest episode 7 of Season 2 was better than the last two to three episodes. :)
The main topic in this episode was about the shootdown of Korean-Air-Lines-Flug 007" and its implications in this alternative history line. For the TV audience, this shootdown scene was done within visual range. That missile launching sequence was also shown in the trailer. At the end the "Moon Marines" take over the mining site on the moon. While approaching the site, they start humming the hymn "Ride of the Valkyries", as also featured in the movie "Apocalypse Now".
Video:
View: https://youtu.be/aLvfsyY4G7Q

Last edited:
Pure speculation about the rest of the season and season 3. I have no special knowledge, but I'll make it a spoiler anyway.
First, the title For All Mankind is not incidental, so the peaceful exploration of space on an international basis is probably the theme and dramatic destination of the series, so I'm guessing that season 2 will end with the ASTP handshake in space. Season 3 to be about a US-Russian (or broader coalition) to Mars.

Conflict is presented as being embedded in higher level politics while cooperation is tentative and conducted at a very interpersonal level with small gestures of outreach. One is the ASTP docking mechanism, and the general dynamics between Margo and her Soviet counterpart, leading up to her warning him about the O-rings, against orders. This was complemented by the pep talk that the unnamed engineer gives to Danielle in Star City. Also Tom Paine was on KAL 007 because he was exploring an Asian space alliance. That was at an official capacity, but was presented as tentative, initial.

There's also a bit about Ellen thinking of leaving NASA because she believes that private enterprise is the future of space exploration. That's just a thread left hanging at the moment. It could be a turning point as Tom Paine is killed and she's suddenly made acting NASA administrator.

On the other hand. Plenty of talk about Pathfinder being armed and speculation that Buran might be (interesting that in this timeline Buran is an exact copy of the American shuttle, including having solid boosters. I suppose that enables the thing with Margo and the O-rings). Chekhov's Law is certainly going to apply. If there isn't an actual space battle, there will certainly be a standoff, fingers on triggers, beads of sweat floating away from furrowed brows, clocks ticking and so on.

Everyone has an 'Oh God, what have we done?!' moment, Gorbachev comes to power in the Soviet Union and work towards walking back from conflict. ASTP becomes the gesture that ends the Cold War, perhaps in parallel with the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Also, Tracy and Gordo get back together.