Space Baron

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi
I really love this web site it has so much fantastic info on the hidden or forgotten space projects. Sadly, I don’t visit this website enough due to my projects.
In 1989 I had my old boardgame Liftoff! Race to the Moon published; a simulation for four players with alternate proposed ways of getting to the Moon included. This board game moved to the computer in the early 1990s as Buzz Aldrin’s Race into Space.
Now I’m in prototype playtesting with a massive upgrade as Liftoff! 2.0 with lots of additional space hardware and missions plus numerous expansions and follow up games in the final touches for playtesting.
Here are a few images of handmade prototypes with temp art. There is an expansion game with USAF space programs including Blue Gemini and Blue Apollo, Lunex etc Another expansion the target hairs in Orbital Space Combat.

Attachments

• 62255540-8B50-410B-B7B7-53259D23101B.jpeg
    62255540-8B50-410B-B7B7-53259D23101B.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 4CD47C5F-57BE-4875-A62C-0B002D7481BC.jpeg
    4CD47C5F-57BE-4875-A62C-0B002D7481BC.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 31
  • D2005BC4-F8E3-4ECB-9997-A41AA357E031.jpeg
    D2005BC4-F8E3-4ECB-9997-A41AA357E031.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
  • D9E22498-32FB-4A7B-9DF3-3811D4A68AC9.jpeg
    D9E22498-32FB-4A7B-9DF3-3811D4A68AC9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
Space Baron
I have a copy of your Lift Off boardgame in my collection. I dont have any computer games so will Lift Off 2 be available in boardgame form. Your artwork suggests it might be more in card format, which is popular.
My copy's box is crammed full of cuttings from Mark Wades Encyclopaedia Astronautica printed out at work (naughty I know) of the Saturn and Nova boosters.

Space Baron
I have a copy of your Lift Off boardgame in my collection. I dont have any computer games so will Lift Off 2 be available in boardgame form. Your artwork suggests it might be more in card format, which is popular.
My copy's box is crammed full of cuttings from Mark Wades Encyclopaedia Astronautica printed out at work (naughty I know) of the Saturn and Nova boosters.
Mark’s site, this one and few others and Praxis Are my main juice for inspiration. Project Lunex is being playtested in the game mechanics along with Gemini Direct, LSR, and much more. Giuseppe’s wonderful art is all throughout the new version. The game continues with more scenarios post 1st landing, followup missions and Apollo proposed missions including Manned Flybys of Mars and or Venus..,
I’m design tinkering with Soyuz VI and Blue Gemini in Orbital Combat, Block III Apollo, etc the Mars game in four tech eras attach to the 2.0 followed by unmanned exploration of the solar system and many Mars expansions in the design stage that take us past SpaceX and starship. 195B12B0-F1CB-483A-A4B4-DDE2CB94A14E.jpeg 8FCD722B-1164-43C2-A597-714902500E12.jpeg

Space Baron. You just blasted one of my New Year's resolutions if these get to be sold in UK by my friends at Second Chance Games.
who are brilliant up North and I rediscovered thanks to Lockdown.

All seems to have gone quiet on this one

ORBITAL SLED
I just visited USAF Museum and really loved the design and lines of this little orbital sled. So very Jetsons’!
I took this image as a reference to be sure to add it as a optional spacecraft hardware for the Space Rescue Expansion to LIFTOFF! 2.0 .

Attachments

• F677D3B4-CA2F-48C7-8A73-B74E238F2745.jpeg
    F677D3B4-CA2F-48C7-8A73-B74E238F2745.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
My local game shop has a slew of really dull generic space race games but no original copy of Lift Off.
Still hoping to see the new version.

Here are two of the main add-on games that will follow the Race to the Moon game portion. The middle boards have Mercury, Venus & Mars. This allows satellites to all three, manned flybys to Venus & Mars and landings on Mars, and there is a path to the edge if that board that attaches to the next game. This end board is the race to the planets; all the Jovian worlds and main moons… for flybys and probes. I have plans for a HOPE style scenario mission.

Your Liftoff! 2.0 sounds out of this world! It's amazing how you've taken your original board game and transformed it into a computer game like Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space! The upgrades and expansions you're working on sound super exciting! Can't wait to roll a dice and take on those USAF space programs with Blue Gemini and Blue Apollo! And Orbital Space Combat? Count me in for some interstellar dogfights! Seeing those prototype images got me pumped up! Also, check out website where you can roll a d20 online. Quite a useful service when you don't have a real dice at hand.

Last edited:
Your Liftoff! 2.0 sounds out of this world! It's amazing how you've taken your original board game and transformed it into a computer game like Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space!
Copy that! Lots of new upgrades, revamping the prototype art to final art for print ready. The spacecraft hardware for ALL factions has been revised! btw Pyramid and Black Arrow are in the Europa faction. Hope to do a full BIS/British faction someday like I have completed the USAF faction. There are expansions for historical asymmetrical and sep factions for Korolev Vs Chelomei Vs Yangel. Check out our FB site for regular updates. (Liftoff 2.0)

A solitary Spiral-shelled Silver Snotslime Snail found found crossing the public viewing site parking lot behind the porta-potties...
Spin for lawyers, roll for launch delay during assessment.

(Are they left-hand spiral (terribly endangered and necessary to Maintain Our Biosphere as We Know It) or right-hand Spiral (registered pest and environmental hazard on the order of FOOF?)

Still waiting to buy this in my local games shop.
Roger!

We are working on the art to have it ready for KS campaign. The Rules are going through a reformat and this sadly takes time for me. The event cards need to go thru an art redesign, and editing of verbiage to ideally reduce the length on some of the cards. The play test is solid. I have a new wrinkle for 2-man teams. This was a blast at a convention with four engineering college students.

But! The game board, has been updated with all new spiffy art and layout and the Faction Hardware cards are 99% done with new art and layout. I sadly found some typos on a few.

It will likely be a KS for gamers and stores that wish to obtain the KS version. I plan on a retail version, but I may be a 1-2 player + 2-man team rules for four players + solo version to make financial sense for the distribution chain. The other 2 factions maybe an add-on follow-up for retail. The KS version will have a lot of nifty enhance rules, extra event cards, charts and extra hardware.

The above images have some miniatures and they are experimental and I am checking prices on them..

The game View image:
this is a setup for the US Faction for the micro, mini or short game that take from 20-90 mins play and also teach how to play the game.

The hardware cards are updated and colour iconic symbols for hardware type and placement for slots on assembling at the Launch Pads. (There are folks that have no clue where the payload goes on a rocket.)

The reviews are based on the mechanics of the foundation games that 2.0 is based on.

the box/storage/play tray for the mini cards might be an additional separate item, I am checking prices. Everyone who has played LOVES them… so i am trying to figure out. The other hardware cards are inside the box in foam inserts.

A solitary Spiral-shelled Silver Snotslime Snail found found crossing the public viewing site parking lot behind the porta-potties...
Spin for lawyers, roll for launch delay during assessment.

(Are they left-hand spiral (terribly endangered and necessary to Maintain Our Biosphere as We Know It) or right-hand Spiral (registered pest and environmental hazard on the order of FOOF?)
I do have an environmental event card in the game on a similar irritant, just please you.