Evolution of the B-52

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Might maybe be of interest... US Bomber Projects #16 is an extra-sized volume covering the evolution of the B-52.

Designs covered include:

Boeing Model 444 A: A late war turboprop heavy bomber
Boeing Model 461: An early postwar turboprop heavy bomber
Boeing Model 462: A large six-turboprop ancestor of the B-52
Boeing Model 462-5: A six-turboprop B-52 ancestor
Boeing Model 464-17: 1946 four-turboprop strategic bomber, a step toward the B-52
Boeing Model 464-18: a reduced-size version of the 464-17 turboprop strategic bomber
Boeing Model 464-25: a modification of the 464-17 turboprop bomber with slightly swept wings, among other changes
Boeing Model 464-27: a slightly-swept turboprop B-52 progenitor
Boeing Model 464-33-0: A turboprop B-52 predecessor
Boeing Model 464-34-3: A turboprop B-52 predecessor
Boeing Model 464-40: The first all-jet-powered design in the quest for the B-52
Boeing Model 464-40: The first all-jet-powered design in the quest for the B-52
Boeing Model 464-046: A six-engined B-52 predecessor
Boeing Model 464-49: The penultimate major design in the development of the B-52
Fairchild M-121:A highly unconventional canard-biplane
Convair B-60: A swept-wing turboprop-powered derivative of the B-36
Douglas Model 1211-J: An elegant turboprop alternative to the B-52
With additional diagrams of the B-47, XB-52 and B-52B

usbp16ad2.jpg

usbp16ad1-1024x391.jpg

Very nice, Scott. I will buy them all... soon. Maybe after my first million from my book royalties :)

I just purchased the bomber series from Scott and have to say they are incredible works that should be in the library or research shelves on every single person here at SPF.

They really are one of a kind documents and for the price (usually around $4/item) an amazing bargain given the quality.

I must have a look, I had thought that the B-52 came out of the B-47, so a complete re-think seems to be in order.

Purchased my copy yesterday. It is terrific, both in terms of data and in terms of the highly-prized drawings. And, i have great faith in Scott's reliability in both areas. Well done, Scott. I am loving this series on bombers immensely; almost as much as the one on transport aircraft.

phil gollin said:

I must have a look, I had thought that the B-52 came out of the B-47, so a complete re-think seems to be in order.

Yes, the B-47 and B-52 programs were very different. The only major similarities between the two designs being jet propulsion, and bicycle landing gear. -SP

Steve Pace said:
phil gollin said:

Yes, the B-47 and B-52 programs were very different. The only major similarities between the two designs being jet propulsion, and bicycle landing gear. -SP

The B-47 certainly informed the B-52 design, but both began life roughly at the same time (near the end of WWII) as very different beasts. The roles were sufficiently different that the designs remained very different for a good long while, but swept wings and podded jet engines became virtually unbeatable.