Interesting development WatcherZero, especially since Turkey are waiting for the KANN entering service. I was also wondering about the type of radar that the Typhoons would have? Similar to the Kuwaite Air Force variants?

The Turks keep saying they want the latest spec's, but since they are going through the Germans I guess likely to be the Mk1 radar variant.

Thanks WatcherZero, it is a pity that the Turks never went through the UK and got the Mk2 radar the most advanced radar of the two variants that will be used on the RAF Typhoons.

I'm confused where the notion that this is a German sale is coming from.

Initial approach was to UK/Italy but Turkey have said this week they were in discussions with Germany on it. If Saudi orders go through German production line would have the earliest production slots to deliver the order.

Initial approach was to UK/Italy but Turkey have said this week they were in discussions with Germany on it. If Saudi orders go through German production line would have the earliest production slots to deliver the order.

Yes discussions, because all partners need to approve the export and currently the Germans are reluctant (like with Saudi Arabia). That is a separate issue as to who gets the sale. I'd be surprised if it didn't go to BAE given the strong links British industry has attempted to cultivate with Turkey under Erdogan's leadership.

German industry of course is awaiting Germany's own order, so it isn't necessarily the case their order book will be much more free. Besides, with the F16 sale now looking to go through there is less pressure on timescale anyway.

Edit (another article) :

To be confirmed (World Defense Show opening was on Sunday)

Last edited:
Being reported by multiple reporters now the Saudis want a Tranche 5 standard Eurofighter with ECRS Mk.2 radar, Large Area Display and project Medulla mid life upgrades. They have also asked for quotes on additional A330 MRTT and for the A400M.
Doesn't T4 come with ECRS Mk.2s already? Developing a new Tranche would certainly delay the delivery...

The Turks keep saying they want the latest spec's, but since they are going through the Germans I guess likely to be the Mk1 radar variant.
Generation-wise, Mk.1 and Mk.2 are now more of a separate radar with different lineages. Of course, one could argue Vixen 1000 is a newer, more advanced radar to be based off, but in terms of when the two radars appeared, I think it's misleading to call them different generations.

Also, in terms of what the Turks desire in regards to delivery schedule and what's actually possible, ECRS mk.1 would be the "latest" radar, even by the time they actually ink the deal (if the deal actually materializes).

Don't all the sales go over the uk?
It depends on the region. MEA used to be Italy and UK, depending on the sub-region. I'd be surprised if UK isn't in charge of the communication with the Turks.

Doesn't T4 come with ECRS Mk.2s already? Developing a new Tranche would certainly delay the delivery...
T4 is the Quadriga standard with ECRS mk.1

First time that I have heard of the Vixen 1000 radar Maro.Kyo, is there any info on it yet?
Vixen 1000 is from the same family of radars as Vixen 500, which is better known as the only in-use variant ES-05 Raven. In terms of developmental lineage, ECRS mk.1 is the continuation of CAPTOR family of radars, whereas ECRS mk.2 is not. In terms of underlying radar architechture of the base radar, ECRS mk.2 is newer and more advanced, though as I've said, mk.1 and mk.2 are more of a different radars now rather than a later iteration of one another.

mk.1 is a Hensoldt-Indra product whereas mk.2 is Leonardo UK.

Customs and border protection also use Vixen 500 on their drug interdiction plane. I believe it became available in the mid 2000s?

Customs and border protection also use Vixen 500 on their drug interdiction plane. I believe it became available in the mid 2000s?
You're right. I wasn't aware CBP used Vixen on their surveillance planes. Selex ES won the contract in 2009 and Vixen 500E entered service on C-550 in 2012. They retired the plane in 2019 though.

Eurofighter statement from BAE Systems

BAE Systems Spokesperson made the following statements to Defense Turk;

“We continue to pursue a number of export opportunities for Typhoon in Europe and beyond. We support the UK Government's discussions with Turkey on shared defense and security priorities, including its interest in Typhoon."

"The Typhoon remains one of the world's most successful military combat aircraft, providing critical air defense capability, including support to NATO operations."

BAE Systems exhibited the next generation cockpit of the Eurofighter Typhoon at the World Defense Show in Saudi Arabia.
View: https://x.com/Defence_Turk/status/1755942298012000437?s=20

That display is massive in comparison to the rather small displays the RAF Typhoons have currently got, I take it that the displays will be retro fitted to the RAF Typhoons in the not so distant future? Also the missing HUD is another shock to me as well.

That display is massive in comparison to the rather small displays the RAF Typhoons have currently got, I take it that the displays will be retro fitted to the RAF Typhoons in the not so distant future? Also the missing HUD is another shock to me as well.

They are going the F-35 route in terms of avionics upgrade.

Quite good that they are doing the F-35 big displays seigecrossbow, it gives the Typhoon pilot much better situational awareness, plus with doing away with the HUD and putting all the data that would otherwise be on the Heads Up Display in a dedicated F-35 style HMD is a way forward for the Typhoon.

Turkey's possible Eurofighter purchase: "Positive signals for local ammunition integration"

Quoting the parts I deemed relevant:
"BAE Systems declined to comment on the Eurofighter Typhoon configuration requested by Turkey. The company responded positively to the question of whether Turkey, which has a wide range of indigenous munitions, "has the opportunity to integrate its own munitions." The British defense giant explained that Typhoon has unrivaled agility with its capacity to carry a wide range of air-to-air and air-to-ground ammunition, and has a positive and strong track record in providing integrations in accordance with the wishes of user countries."

"One of the main reasons for Turkey's interest in acquiring the Eurofighter Typhoon is that it has a very good air-to-air (air-to-air) capability among the 4++ generation fighters. Typhoon's future ECRS (European Common Radar System) Mk2 AESA radar will be almost completely different from the current Mk 0 and Mk 1 radars. While the previous series used GaAs modules, the Mk2 uses a combination of GaAs and GaN modules. The biggest trademark of the Mk 2 is that it allows simultaneous broadband electronic warfare. The radar integrated electronic warfare system, which is also an ambitious feature of the F-35 fighter jets, will provide a great advantage for Typhoon."

"BAE Systems did not provide information on the possible sale of ECRS Mk2 to Turkey, but said that the radar has not yet started flight trials this year, but has been integrated into the test and evaluation aircraft and ground tests are continuing at the Air Combat Engineering Center. The company also stated that it will be integrated into existing UK Typhoons by the 2030s."

"When asked whether the company is considering independent production from other partners, BAE Systems officials were clear that the program is being carried out in conjunction with the partner countries. The program is "a long-term cooperative partnership built on the industrial and political strengths of the four partner countries (Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom)," the company said, adding that it has received excellent support from the four partner countries."
https://www.defenceturk.net/turkiye...i-yerel-muhimmat-entegrasyonuna-olumlu-sinyal

Green light on Turkish munitions integration. Possibly no way of building them without Germany. New radar won't be ready for some time and if Turkey orders now with a quicker schedule program, it would need to buy them with Mk1 radars, requiring to spend again later to replace them with Mk2s

https://defencehub.live/threads/turkish-air-forces-news-discussion.2740/post-320443

Possibly no way of building them without Germany.

Germany builds the centre fuselage, bit difficult to get off the ground without it!