ERNO LB 21 Bumerang

Barrington Bond said:
Earlier post mentions consortium ART (MBB,Dornier,ERNO) - is this not correct then?

i don't know
there were so many Join-venture, consortium in 1960s German Aerospace company
i lost the overview

Germany[/size] had started the Allgemeine Rückkehr Technologie (general re-entry technology) ([/size]ART[/size]) programme in which Dornier, Erno and MBB worked together and in which the Bumerang development work merged. Work began on [/size]1 April 1973[/size], to define an initial vehicle configuration by the end of the year, aiming at first free-flight model trials in 1975. A long-term plan has been laid down, aiming at supersonic operation in 1976-77, landing in 1979, hypersonic operation in 1977-81, full-scale hypersonic operation in 1980-82 and a full-scale re-entry in 1982-83. By the end of 1973 the development had reached a configuration called [/size]ART[/size] 24. Whether this configuration was a direct development of the LB-21 lineage, is not clear from the literature that has survived.
[/size]
Reference: Flight International, 25 October 1973, p.724

img_0011-copyedit-jpg.157392

Got new information in german language by Barrington Bond
this was a MBB-Junkers project with Lifting Body of 500 kg mass and 100kg payload.
the Text to picture give impression that MBB-Junkers was a counter proposal to ERNO LB concept to the German Science Ministry

About Term MBB-Junkers
1958 Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke GmbH became part of Messerschmitt AG, who fusion later with Bölkow GmbH and the Hamburger Flugzeugbau in May 1969 to MBB
MBB had take over a part of ERNO ! but it will take until 1981 MBB take ERNO complet over
the Junkers office stay from 1958 until november 1969 within Messerschmitt AG later MBB as independent department
after November 1969 the Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke GmbH was completely integrated into MBB.

Last edited:
Aerospace Transporter and Lifting Body Activities in Europe and Potential Participation in the Development of the Space Shuttle Orbiter by M. Fuchs, D. Haseloff, G. Peters; ERNO Raumfahrttechnik GmbH Bremen, W.-Germany, pp.969-991

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720013221_1972013221.pdf

Hi,

here is a many of of ERNO LB series.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    82 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.png
    2.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.png
    3.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.png
    4.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 5.png
    5.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 37
Aerospace Transporter and Lifting Body Activities in Europe and Potential Participation in the Development of the Space Shuttle Orbiter by M. Fuchs, D. Haseloff, G. Peters; ERNO Raumfahrttechnik GmbH Bremen, W.-Germany, pp.969-991

Said document can be found in https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19720013221 on a pages of the pdf: 271-293. This includes the images that hesham posted (and more). (I couldn't upload the pdf here, cause it's too large - 18MB - but here is the direct link to download just the relevant part)

Also, what you may find interesting:

Review of German work on controlled re-entry technology, Walter Wuest, https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-0421(83)90001-5. (12.8MB download - again: too large PDF to upload directly to the forum.)
It contains a lot of info about various german reentry vehicles, including the information about the flight tests of both: Bumerang (1:3 scale models) and MDC-Orbiter (1:10 scale model) in Helgoland, Sardinia and Crete with a use of C-160 as a carrier aircraft.
Sadly every reference from this paper that I tried seems to be impossible to find online, even stuff like JotBIS stores papers only till '80s. Some most juicy stuff seems to be in ERNO's technical reports, if these even survived to this day (e.g. ERNO Techn. Rep. TB TA-I No.6/72).

Attachments

• gfw-bmbw-erno-bumerang.png
    gfw-bmbw-erno-bumerang.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Review-of-German-work-page71.png
    Review-of-German-work-page71.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Boomerang was also the name of Boeing's Stratolaunch type plane..I also seem to remember a three core LV where the strap-ons had a membrane and formed a delta wing-also by that name?

No...'more like Stratolaunch-on stilts. Maybe it was crossbow...

Also, what you may find interesting:

Review of German work on controlled re-entry technology, Walter Wuest, https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-0421(83)90001-5. (12.8MB download - again: too large PDF to upload directly to the forum.)
It contains a lot of info about various german reentry vehicles, including the information about the flight tests of both: Bumerang (1:3 scale models) and MDC-Orbiter (1:10 scale model) in Helgoland, Sardinia and Crete with a use of C-160 as a carrier aircraft.

I've found the same document and managed to attach it.
Wow, that document is a real gem, including a confirmation that LB 21 / Bumerang models length of 3 meters was explicitely sized for the fairing of Europa I.
Which means: an European ASSET / PRIME program, led by Germany. And a complement to the French Nord Aviation VERAS, which was to ride a L13 Emeraude from Diamant, out of Biscarrosse test range: direction Kourou at hypersonic speed.

Attachments

• 0376-04212990001-5.pdf
    12.5 MB · Views: 15