Early Maneuverable Reentry Vehicle studies

People may have had a lust for many things back then, but the deciding factor was that the USG at the time actually decided to bankroll it. I am at a loss as to how to rekindle that communal circumstance in the current environment with the prevailing attitude of social navel gazing.

Last edited:
People then had a lust for technical progress and prowess you only see in Asia now.
It is still there, just not for items you are interested in.
This was a technology that had little use at the time.
Why spend all that money when hacking and toy drones can achieve results and be funded ordinary people.

Keep in mind we actually had a "accidental" hypersonic missile in the '80s/early '90s :)

Hypersonics Is a technological talking point more than anything else these days

Randy
Well that was an air-breathing hypersonic missiles. Fairly sure hypersonic missiles in general have existed for a long time. Almost any ballistic missile with a range of 500km or more... Pershing I/II... AIM-54... Sprint.... etc.

And technically the hypersonic ASALM flight was 1970s, if that's what you were thinking of.

Keep in mind we actually had a "accidental" hypersonic missile in the '80s/early '90s :)

Hypersonics Is a technological talking point more than anything else these days

Randy
Well that was an air-breathing hypersonic missiles. Fairly sure hypersonic missiles in general have existed for a long time. Almost any ballistic missile with a range of 500km or more... Pershing I/II... AIM-54... Sprint.... etc.

And technically the hypersonic ASALM flight was 1970s, if that's what you were thinking of.

Probably in today’s parlance (or my personal proclivities) I think of “hypersonics” in two categories true air breathers (can be rocket assisted) or unpowered BGVs (again rocket boosted) but that have distinct aero-principles that allow significant manoeuvring inside the atmosphere.

Hypersonics—-a flight regime of religious fanatics who seek the embrace of heat-soaked airframes (on ascent) over pop-up trajectories….a form of self-abuse like tribal scarification.

For those who present with such symptoms, please cut away the blue clothing and inject 500 cc’s of Thorazine.

Hypersonics—-a flight regime of religious fanatics who seek the embrace of heat-soaked airframes (on ascent) over pop-up trajectories….a form of self-abuse like tribal scarification.

For those who present with such symptoms, please cut away the blue clothing and inject 500 cc’s of Thorazine.
Pot calling the kettle black. You have your own false god that you follow.

Boeing Boost Glide Weapon, 1958, from USAF FOIA library
Could this be Boeing Model 812-1, meant for carriage by their Model 804-4 proposal for WS-110?

IT appears to be part of the RoBo project, the report is circa 1957-1959. They say it could be manned or unmanned, they propose both liquid and solid fuel boosters all for ground launch. There is a "KS" or "SR"? -126 designation in there (first two letters are consistently illegible). There is mention of an ARDC System Requirement 126.

Attachments

• werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+01.jpg
    werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+01.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 36
  • werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+02.jpg
    werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+02.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 25
  • werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+03.jpg
    werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+03.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 20
  • werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+04.jpg
    werner+dahm+reentry+vehicle+04.jpg